SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hand Tools question re long nose pliers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hand Tools question re long nose pliers Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
I want to buy a nice quality long nose pliers, but they all seem to have a built-in cutter. Does anyone make a high quality version without the cutter ? I'm too clumsy not to cut chunks of flesh out, I've injured myself more than once with my existing ones.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8683 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
Knipex makes them without cutters

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
The ones I have are from Harbor Freight. I looked at them. There is a flat space there, but I do not believe they are cutters.

https://www.harborfreight.com/...se-Pliers-64089.html

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Suppressed:
Knipex makes them without cutters

These are the only pliers that I will buy.
They cost more than others but are worth every penny.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Mine are not great quality but I've been using them for 20-30 years with no problems. Lately to reach inside violins to rotate a sound post.

Craftsman 9-45661 Mini Needle Nose Pliers, 5-½"

The Craftsman 5 pc. Mini Plier Set periodically goes on sale for under $20. I picked up three sets last time for gifts but still use my old set. 5" long nose, 4-1/2" diagonal cutter, 4-1/2" end nipper, 5-1/2" needle nose, 5" bent nose pliers.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I purchased these via Amazon. They are good enough for my purposes.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Knipex
Worth every fricking dime.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Channel lock also makes some with or without the cutters.

No 3017. I've found them to be a great tool for the money. The four piece kit from Home Depot contains the 3017s.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
I will have to pick up a Channelock or Kuipers set for my tool box. I had some good ones that disappeared and have been using cast off China ones since. Now I have them all positioned in different spots for crushing the ticks I find daily.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
I bought this set a few years ago. A master plumber buddy saw them and ended up buying a set. He raves about them being the handiest tool he's used in a long time. He uses them all the time to pull various items from customer's disposals.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1906 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by texassierra:
I bought this set a few years ago. A master plumber buddy saw them and ended up buying a set. He raves about them being the handiest tool he's used in a long time. He uses them all the time to pull various items from customer's disposals.

I have the same set, and they're incredibly handy, especially in tight areas. They don't handle side loads, twisting very well, but for getting into tight areas, they're great. Especially for tasks like inserting a washer somewhere fingers can't go, etc.

The only other pliers I use so much in the box are wrench pliers (knipex flat-jaw), safety wire pliers, dikes, and duck bill. The double-articulated ones get used a lot, though.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Look at the WIHA site too.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Knipex
Worth every fricking dime.

For the tool nerds on the forum, NWS is worth a look for pliers, too. Another German brand of comparable quality to Knipex.

https://nws-tool.com/

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
For the average home user, Channellock is more than enough.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Knipex

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Knipex

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5645 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post