SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Audio/Video question.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Audio/Video question. Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted
I've pieced together a decent Definitive Technology system anchored by a mid level Onkyo receiver. My sub is the entry level Def Tech Pro 800. I've been disappointed with this sub. I have to turn it most of the way up to hear anything, and by that time its muddy. My wife wanted me to set this thing up where she could watch with out having to turn everything on. Even though she never watches this TV. So I used the optical cable from the TV to the receiver for audio. Is this connection as good as the HDMI? I was working downstairs and set up another DVD player to run audio only CD's so I didn't have to turn on the TV to get sound. On this connection I used an HDMI cable routed into the back of the receiver. The sub sprang to life. Turned it half way down and was getting plenty of tight punch. Is the old style CD a better source than TV or streaming?

Posts: 7532 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
You might have a damaged optical cable. They aren't as delicate as they're often portrayed, but it's pretty easy to bend one too tight and break the optical fibers.

Excluding possible quirks of the specific chips used in specific pieces of equipment, the digital audio data transmitted over an optical cable vs. an HDMI cable should be essentially the same and there shouldn't be an audible difference.

Speaking generally, optical connections can carry 2.1 or full surround, but your specific equipment might only be able to (or only be set to) send 2-channel audio over the optical connection but 2.1 or full surround over the HDMI.

It could also be an issue with audio processing on the optical input of the receiver set incorrectly.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pistolria
posted Hide Post
How do you connect from the receiver to the sub? I have a pretty basic Def Tech sub that seems to work well depending on the source of the original video or music. I have a Yamaha receiver and am using HDMI for my hookups and a coax to the sub. Sometimes tweaking the settings in the receiver may help. It's been an ongoing issue though for me.

Posts: 673 | Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Its connected with a sub cable that looks like a regular RCA but its not.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pistolria
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the way mine is hooked up. I had some success with the settings on my receiver, don't know how the Onkyo works but the Yamaha let me make some changes for the subwoofer. Still seems as though it depends mostly on the source I am either watching or viewing.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pistolria,

Posts: 673 | Location: Jacksonville Beach, FL | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Onkyo receivers generally have a place to change the sub levels. I think I had an Onkyo receiver that I put in the rec room, and the default setting for the sub was a negative 3. I would check that menu and get the correct level set from there.

Also, you might have the option for the receiver to check and set the levels for all of your speakers, including the sub. It will send out test tones to the speakers and then make the changes. You should have a little microphone that came with the receiver for this specific initial set up. That process got me fairly close to what I wanted, and fine tuning it from there was pretty simple.

Posts: 247 | Location: Utah | Registered: June 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pistolria
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pistolria:
Sounds like the way mine is hooked up. I had some success with the settings on my receiver, don't know how the Onkyo works but the Yamaha let me make some changes for the subwoofer. Still seems as though it depends mostly on the source I am either watching or viewing.

posted Hide Post
Can you please post the model number of the receiver? Then we can look it up for what can be changed/done with the receiver.

Need to understand what the optical cable is set into and what that input is set too.
Need to see that the source aka cable box is set to pass surround through that cable. There should be an option that says surround or 5.1.
Then what surround processing is the receiver set for this input? And as 4.40s what are those levels and crossover set at?

Properly set the sub is just a continuation of the sound. But many of us like to run it a little hotter because we like big booms. Cool

That and many more questions to be answered Smile

PS I have been putting off rebalancing all my inputs and outputs on my system. But it needs it soon.

Posts: 186 | Location: The Lovely State of Illinois | Registered: November 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Go online and download the manual.
Many modern receivers have a microphone included that will measure and adjust the levels properly.

quote:
Is the old style CD a better source than TV or streaming?

No, but the SOURCE will vary from show to show so will the sound depending on how it is recorded.
You should see some sort of setting for the type of digital encoding when it is on Dolby Digital etc.

Posts: 22923 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
You are using an Onkyo receiver so why is the sound source the TV? That is what receiver means. Sounds to me like you are just using it as an amp. HDMI the TV cable to it and HDMI back to the TV. The TV should be just a monitor.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
The receiver is a TX-NR676. I did the test speaker thingy first when I set it up, and again when I added the sub. I set it up that way because my wife and daughter could watch that TV without turning on all of my fancy stuff. Again I don't think she's watched that set once yet. So, I'm thinking about going all HDMI if that will yield the sound I experienced with just a regular CD.

posted Hide Post
Many TV's will only output PCM stereo through the optical output. Very few will output 5.1 until recently. If this is what you are getting, then the receiver is multiplexing the 2 channel to 5.1 but you are missing the LFE channel.

Always feed the sources to the receiver via HDMI then run a single HDMI to the TV. Yeah, it makes all those fancy inputs and features on the TV worthless but that's just how it goes.

For my sub, I have a Paragdigm Reference Seismic 12 rated at 1500 w/RMS and 4500 peak. The 12" fires down with twin radiators on the sides.

With a Denon receiver with Audessey MultEQ XT32 it is perfectly controlled and unobtrusive, until it asserts itself for true LFE material. Really can't be happier, except if I had an Anthem system with ARC.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
I set it up that way because my wife and daughter could watch that TV without turning on all of my fancy stuff.

I faced the same issue with my wife. But she does appreciate the cleaner sound. This will fix it right up: Harmony Remote

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
quote:
I set it up that way because my wife and daughter could watch that TV without turning on all of my fancy stuff.

I faced the same issue with my wife. But she does appreciate the cleaner sound. This will fix it right up: Harmony Remote

Or for a touch more money, but more useful if you have a firestick or other oddball devices
harmony hub

I have 2 (and want 2 more) and I've set up Mom & Granny with them & they love them.
They're simple & non-threatening, but powerful & WORK. It's wife approved & she's a pain in the ass. You could set it up so that pressing 'watch TV' only turns on the TV & uses that for audio, but long-press of 'watch TV' (or movie) fires up the receiver. I think most TVs will mute their speakers when they find a receiver connected via HDMI (if not, then HDMI CEC really is worthless).
I also have an older version of what CNE suggested & it works, but not as well as the hub.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post