SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for Seiko knowledgable
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for Seiko knowledgable Login/Join 
posted
I received my Seiko dive watch that I ordered about a month ago from Mad Mod World. These are refurbished watches. Mine would have originally come with the 7S26 movement but I paid extra to get a new NH36A movement. I'm looking at the back of the watch and it says 7S26. Am I looking at the back of the movement or am I looking at the case? Is it possible that the NH36A movement is inside, or does the movement itself comprise the back of the watch? I don't know if they shorted me the new movement or if it's inside and I'm looking at the refurbished case.

Thanks for any help.

Posts: 794 | Location: York Pa. | Registered: January 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I don't know the outfit you've dealt with but I've never heard of the case back being "modified" to reflect a customized internal movement.

If you're really paranoid about things you could have a local jeweler open things up to sanity check the internals.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16266 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Case back will have the original Calbre designation on it, but Bald1 is right. The only way to verify the movement is to remove the case back, but doing that with a dive watch means pressure testing after opening to insure the gasket has sealed correctly. Bit of a hassle and cost, so I wouldn't bother if you did your homework and feel good about the seller.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chris240
posted Hide Post
If you pull out the crown to set time does the second hand stop and can you handwind it then you got what you paid for.

If it is a 7s26 you cannot do either.

I've modded all my Seiko skx007 with the upgraded movement. NH35's are 35.00 on eBay new.

Posts: 644 | Location: Cedar Falls, IA | Registered: January 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chris240:
If you pull out the crown to set time does the second hand stop and can you handwind it then you got what you paid for.

I've modded all my Seiko skx007 with the upgraded movement. NH35's are 35.00 on eBay new.

Bingo! Pulled the crown out and the second hand stopped. Thanks chris240.

Problem solved.

Posts: 794 | Location: York Pa. | Registered: January 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chris240
posted Hide Post
Beware the rabbit hole that is skx007 modding.

Posts: 644 | Location: Cedar Falls, IA | Registered: January 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chris240:

I stand corrected, chris. I should have considered this myself.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Not being familiar with the newer NH35 movement, it didn't occur to me to sanity check things by seeing if the watch hacked or not. Smart stuff Chris! Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16266 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Movements can be swapped from case to case. It doesn’t matter the watch.

Look at most Swiss automatics aside of the really high end ones, and Rolex. Most use an ETA movement. Nothing wrong with that, they meet cosc standards.
That said, many movements can fit in many cases. Only way to tell is to open that caseback and look at the movement.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4031 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post