SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The fifth grader in me had a question - why 98.6F?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The fifth grader in me had a question - why 98.6F? Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by sig77:
I am always 97.5ish. If I get to 98.6 I have a fever. Been that way since I was a kid.

I'm the same way 97.5 average, if I hit 99, then that's a fever for me.
Same here. Always have been about a degree "low".

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Actually it’s a good question and the answer is going to surprise you. The human temp has nothing to do with the number.

The temperature is the result of the scale.

In Fahrenheit it was fixed that water will turn from a liquid to a solid at 32° and that water will turn from a liquid to a vapor at 212°.

Similarly in MKS water changes state at 0° and 100°.

In the F° system you have a difference of 180 increments between the two temperatures. So when you take a temperature a human just happens to fall at about the midpoint.

It wasn’t planned that way.

Posts: 53184 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I’m a 96.5 degree guy. At the ‘normal’ range, I’m hot.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post