SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The fifth grader in me had a question - why 98.6F?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The fifth grader in me had a question - why 98.6F? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Had some conversations and basically a question came up (in my mind at least) - why do humans have a body temp of 98.6F (as measured in the usual places)?

Why is this regardless of size, weight, muscular level, etc?

Is there something magic about this number based on human biochemistry or something? Or something completely random?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Had some conversations and basically a question came up (in my mind at least) - why do humans have a body temp of 98.6F (as measured in the usual places)?

Why is this regardless of size, weight, muscular level, etc?

Is there something magic about this number based on human biochemistry or something? Or something completely random?

A long time ago in Europe, if I'm not mistaken on the date and location, a doc figured the average person had an average body temp of 37 Degrees Celsius. That equals 98.6 in Fahrenheit.

I saw a news blurb a few days ago that our average body temps have dropped something like 1 degree since about a century ago.

Posts: 11846 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
why do humans have a body temp of 98.6F

It's range of temps, a narrow range, not just that specific number. Outside that range, things start to go wrong. Like, when you have a fever, say, of 104 F, some bad shit is going inside. Or, have severe hypothermia. You won't last, if those out of range temps persist.

As to why? God made us that way. Smile

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
My temp is ALWAYS 97.8 F. I have always wondered why my normal body temp is .08 degrees lower than the norm.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10706 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The answer is: all humans do not have an average temperature of 98.6. It is just a convenient number, much like the fiction that your max. heart rate is 220 minus your age. Humans are far more complex that this.

For example my average temperature is 97.3 and has been for at least 70 years.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What I read is that in the last hundred years general health has improved and people suffer less from inflammation based issues like gout and such that tend to cause light fever. As a result the average reasonably healthy person temperature has gone down about most of a degree. But 98.6 still works as a useful upper limit as temp varies durng the day and by the person, for most people, 99 deg is about where they start to feel crappy.

Posts: 314 | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
“Average” body temperature is an interesting question. The average was first determined by many measurements in Germany, and then rounded up to the nearest degree Celsius. The rounding was because temperatures varied and specifying an average to the nearest 0.1 degree made no sense. When that got converted to Fahrenheit, though, the rounding was overlooked/ignored, and 98.6 is actually higher than the true average. There was an article in The Wall Street Journal about the subject some months ago and how it’s now recognized that 98.6 is too high. Some people may have concluded that the average has somehow dropped due to environment or other factors, but IMO it’s actually due to the long ago error in converting a rounded 37°C to an exact 98.6°F.

That was the opinion of John Paulos who discussed all that in his 1988 book Innumeracy: Mathematical Illiteracy and its Consequences.

I am frequently amused by similar metric to Imperial conversions to this day. In books about guns, for example, there will be references to the effective range of this or that weapon that state something like “600 yards (548.6 meters)”: “Oh, I’m 549 meters from the enemy, so I’m safe.” Roll Eyes

As for the original question of why most people’s temperatures are very similar, I can’t say other than to point out that whatever the average is, it’s just an average. Individual temperatures vary; mine is 97.8°, and that’s closer to the real average than 98.6.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
That is actually somewhat of a scientific mystery. There was an interesting study that hypothesized that it has to do with fungi.

Reptiles and amphibians are vulnerable to thousands of different kinds of fungi. Mammals like us seem resistant to all but a couple hundred, and the reason is probably the relatively high body temperature we run, very inhospitable to fungus species.

So it's postulated that after the big asteroid wiped out the dinos, the competitive stage was set between the surviving cold-blooded ectotherms, and the hot-blooded mammals. The mammals won, and took over most of the planet (for better or worse).

The study further determined an optimal temperature for combatting fungi. That temp was almost exactly 98.6°F.

(There is a price, however. We're basically walking furnaces, and to maintain internal combustion have to continually take in fuel, most humans eating some 3x a day.)

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16355 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Because her lovin' is the medicine that saved me ...

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
kkina - interesting.....

Just to clarify - i wasn't specifically saying 98.6 exactly. Just a value in the nominal sense - as opposed to 50F or 150F.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
OKCGene has it correct. Further the threshold for a fever is above 38 degrees Centigrade which is 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit.

Posts: 10949 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
OKCGene has it correct. Further the threshold for a fever is above 38 degrees Centigrade which is 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit.

That's fine but not really the question being posed..... kkina has the correct gist of the question....

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
kkina - interesting.....

Just to clarify - i wasn't specifically saying 98.6 exactly. Just a value in the nominal sense - as opposed to 50F or 150F.

I see. Well, the fungus theory still kind of answers that. If the optimal fungus-killing temperature is a narrow range centered around 98.6, then why deviate outside that range? Human biochemistry is complex enough to support a very tight metabolic heat range, and environmental selection pressure has millions of years to impose a high degree of fine-tuning.

By the way, does this mean I'm smarter than a 5th grader? Big Grin

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16355 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:
kkina - interesting.....

I see. Well, the fungus theory still kind of answers that. If the optimal fungus-killing temperature is a narrow range centered around 98.6, then why deviate outside that range? Human biochemistry is complex enough to support a very tight metabolic heat range, and environmental selection pressure has millions of years to impose a high degree of fine-tuning.

Agree. The clarification wasn't directed at your response per se. Smile

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Actually, your (very good) question is basically about the biological concept of homeostasis. Humans also have very narrow ranges for ion concentrations and pH (remember in The Andromeda Strain when the virus turned out to have a narrower pH range than humans?). There must be some adaptive value to maintaining such tight ranges, maybe something to do with mammalian biochemistry as you suggested.

I'm sure there's theories out there, and my brain is already tapped out trying to remember my decades old bio studies. Smile

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I am always 97.5ish. If I get to 98.6 I have a fever. Been that way since I was a kid.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig77:
I am always 97.5ish. If I get to 98.6 I have a fever. Been that way since I was a kid.

I'm the same way 97.5 average, if I hit 99, then that's a fever for me.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Because her lovin' is the medicine that saved me ...

[FLASH_VIDEO]

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/dEjm0uP8DqQ [/FLASH_VIDEO]

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
98.6°F is known to be the average body temperature on Mars.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2840 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
98.6 because your ancestors who differed from that value, either higher or lower, tended to die before they could procreate. In other words, chicks dig it.

Posts: 6475 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post