SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do I have Rights on a miltary base?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do I have Rights on a miltary base? Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
It's a joke, not a dick, don't take it so hard. Roll Eyes

Posts: 13117 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
I work for the Feds
Yep, you have rights on a military base...limited
don't believe that? you better have:
Lots of money
A damn good lawyer
lots of time
Afterwards, self-employment

Not saying I condone this, just saying what is, not what used to be.

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1309 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Seems appropriate here.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chansen92
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Neutron:
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

Although for me, it's the rent-a-thugs I do not care for. I'd rather see a Marine corporal with a weapon than one of the thugs

I work on the US Air Force Academy, and I work closely with quite a few of your so-called 'thugs.' Every one I interact with is professional and courteous.

Your experiences may differ from mine, of course, but the contractors are no more likely to make mistakes than the military cops.

A good portion of the contract security are former military.
The last active base base I was at was Red Stone Arsenal in Alabama for some training. As I drove up to the Main Gate I saw a civilian guard who wore a uniform that looked like he had been wearing it for a month, A cigarette in his mouth and had to weigh at least 300 pounds. I was totally flabbergasted and pissed at the same time. As I drove through the gate I stopped and politely told him to get his uniform squared away. I saw him several days later and he was wearing the same clothes. I went to the Provost Marshall office and made a complaint. I was there for 8 weeks and never saw him again. The rest of the guards looked rather sloppy also. I retired as an MP and If a guard showed looking like that he would be severely
punished. At the very least he would not be allowed to go on duty looking like that. Rental guards came into being when Bill Clinton was looking to put 1 million people to work.

Posts: 1622 | Location: owosso,Mi. USA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
Every year I have to renew my ID to get on base. Every year the person that renews it looks up from the computer screen and says something to the effect "you know you can't bring firearms on the base". I wonder if they know what I own as I live in a communist state, or do they just tell everyone?

They don't ask everyone. Not sure how or why. Went again this summer to Bragg and had to redo everything since it's been over a year. They didn't ask my exwife or anyone else at that time about weapons but they reminded me. Not sure how they know but I guess they do.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8021 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Seems appropriate here.

Hollywood is make believe Smile

Posts: 1309 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
I assume you work at Joint Base Dix-McGuire? Is this the incident you're talking about?

http://wobm.com/joint-base-mcg...ily-put-on-lockdown/

A recent court decision on applicable law for consenting to a search upon entering a military base is Morgan v. United States.

https://caselaw.findlaw.com/us...circuit/1054663.html

I was an MP up until 2013. The probable cause needed to perform what someone would recognize as your typical traffic stop and vehicle search is pretty much identical to what goes on in the civilian world. The same thing goes for anything that involves potential crimes on school grounds. Someone fingered you as the unidentified individual, and no one was going anywhere until they sorted the situation out.

Edited for bad link.

Yes, that is the base. The article is slightly off, it happened at 10:45 as I was waiting to be relieved from my duty in the English Lab during lunch. No one checked my ID. They know who I am.
This is the 3rd year I have worked in the school. It is called PAA and not what the article states as Vortex Performing Arts.
The day was unusual as there were many field trips and a lot of substitutes that I have never seen before.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
Having been knowingly armed and waved through the gate at a sub base feels rather special now.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmoid:
quote:
Seems appropriate here.

"You Can't Handle the Truth!"

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It could been simple expediency of resolving the issue?
First run down all temps that might be mistaken as an unknown person, if the backpack was yours, situation normal/solved.

Posts: 428 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When the will is strong, everything is easy
Picture of celticwolf
posted Hide Post
You do have rights. There are FM pubs on them. They are goodthings to get from your MOS library if you are active duty.

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of
avoiding reality." Ayn Rand

Posts: 2125 | Location: AZ | Registered: April 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
quote:
Seems appropriate here.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Hey, also don’t forget to ask them “Am I being detained?” And also remind them that you don’t want to create “joinder” with them. They like that a lot, and it’ll help you out greatly.

Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Hey, also don’t forget to ask them “Am I being detained?” And also remind them that you don’t want to create “joinder” with them. They like that a lot, and it’ll help you out greatly.

I just a "huh??" look from my wife as I busted out laughing at this!

I'm still chuckling as I type. Thank-you! Big Grin

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I had to look up "joinder" and it does not seem to apply in this situation. What am I missing?

Back in 2011 I wanted to visit the Air Museum at Selfridge Air National Guard Base, but my USAF retired person ID card had been lost some years before. The SP office at the gate offered to produce a new card for me on the spot--took my name, photo ID (Driver's License) and looked up my data and I had a new card in 15 minutes! What service!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
quote:
Seems appropriate here.

Hollywood = "actors"
"pretending" is easy...
So much for the "hypocrites"
Guess they can't handle the truth!

https://www.merriam-webster.co...crite-meaning-origin

The word hypocrite ultimately came into English from the Greek word hypokrites, which means “an actor” or “a stage player.”The Greek word itself is a compound noun: it’s made up of two Greek words that literally translate as “an interpreter from underneath.”

posted Hide Post
LS1 GTO

quote:

Although for me, it's the rent-a-thugs I do not care for. I'd rather see a Marine corporal with a weapon than one of the thugs

Not sure who you dealt with or the or the circumstances. But I don't appreciate being called a thug because I don't wear a military uniform any more. I wore a Navy uniform for over 13 1/2 years, and have been a Department of the Army Civilian Police Officer for almost 17 years. I am a Federal Law enforcement Officer and all the folks I work with are professionals. For the most part all of us are former military or retired military.

James

We the unappreciated
must do the unimaginable
and see the unthinkable
to protect the ungrateful

Posts: 801 | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quirky Lurker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by depusm12:
LS1 GTO

quote:

Not sure who you dealt with or the or the circumstances. But I don't appreciate being called a thug because I don't wear a military uniform any more. I wore a Navy uniform for over 13 1/2 years, and have been a Department of the Army Civilian Police Officer for almost 17 years. I am a Federal Law enforcement Officer and all the folks I work with are professionals. For the most part all of us are former military or retired military.

James

Dude, he did not call you a thug. Do you always take personal offense when someone criticizes someone else? You need thicker skin.

Posts: 869 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First of all I'm not dude, my name is James. Maybe he didn't call me directly a thug, but none the less I'm offended by the implication. And for the record I have a pretty damn thick skin regarding being insulted. You have no idea what I've endured or had to put up with over the years.

James

We the unappreciated
must do the unimaginable
and see the unthinkable
to protect the ungrateful

Posts: 801 | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People are getting really worked up over this.