SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    School me on garage floor paint.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

School me on garage floor paint. Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
I bought a new home. It's still being built. We plan on moving in a week after we close. During that time, I want to paint the garage floor. Please let me know what products are good and which to stay away from.

Thanks,

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5519 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
The Sigforum of garages:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15846 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
I recall you wan to give the floor 60days AFTER the pour to cure well -
before coating

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4653 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dEX_RX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
The Sigforum of garages:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/

The internet is an INCREDIBLE tool.

NXGen Tactical
CZ P-09 MHS Trials #79 | P320RX-TSS | P320SCR | VP9 LE

Posts: 110 | Location: Central Mass | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Surface prep..surface prep..surface prep

Typically the garage is troweled smooth, make sure to etch and use a bonding primer before any coating you use

Follow the instructions to the fullest

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6294 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had very good results with Rust O'Leum. Easy to apply and I usually only have to recoat it every five years or so. But heed the advice a previous poster gave you regarding curing.

Posts: 5787 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
Surface prep..surface prep..surface prep

Typically the garage is troweled smooth, make sure to etch and use a bonding primer before any coating you use

Follow the instructions to the fullest

Ditto that ~ PREP is everything .
In the case of a new poured garage floor then make sure it is FULLY cured whatever that time may be (could be weeks or longer).
Check with whatever product you get (assume it will be a two part epoxy paint or similar).

Posts: 23195 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
As others have noted, it's all about the preparation.
The floor needs to be dust free, old enough since the pour, the correct temperature and as low moisture as possible.
Moisture underneath will result in big blisters.
Remember that the concrete is a big heat-sink that takes at least a month or more to rise above the winter temperature. Check it with a infrared heat gun, don't just look at a room thermometer. The warmer it is, the quicker it will cure.
Epoxy is very tough if done right but if the concrete below has defects they will show up.

Posts: 9798 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Take a look at this as well....A buddy got tired of his epozy peeling up, so went with the Swiss Trax.

http://www.swisstrax.com/

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
We did ours. Here's the process. New concrete with no oil.....ever. Etch the surface with muriatic acid. Pour acid on surface and spread around with a push broom. Don't spill acid on yourself (long and funny story). After allowing the acid to open the surface, pressure wash the acid off. Water neutralizes the acid, but I washed the water/acid all the way out to the street.

Allow the surface to fully dry. It was August when we did ours so it was dry in a couple of days. We used a two part epoxy from Rustoleum (IIRC). We applied two coats. One thing to watch for is catalyzed paints set quicker if you mix with already mixed paint. So if you have to mix a little more to finish, you've got to move real fast if you use the same container and applicator. After the second coat was completely dry we applied a catalyzed clear. We did this because we wanted embedded color chips. We did a three color mix. I applied the clear to one pad of concrete at a time and then walked out onto it with these funny spiked shoes. I used my brass sifter to spread the color flakes. What is a brass sifter? It is that device made to separate freshly cleaned brass from the tumbling media Smile. Anyway, I let the whole thing dry out and cure for a week before we parked on it. It never peeled nor chipped ever. I think the color flakes added some surface protection that floor paints really need.

ETA: While wearing the funny spiked shoes, do not step too close to the expansion joints in the concrete. You will learn the hazards of wearing stiletto heels and turn your ankle. At that point and since you are a man, instead of falling down, you will try to save yourself and flail around. Your other foot will slip on its spikes and you'll do a cringe-worthy splits. Somewhere between initial reflexive correction and impact you will toss the container of flakes up and back down on yourself. Flakes will be in your hair, on sweaty face and stuck to those areas where the clear has smeared on your clothes and hands. Fair warning. Tread lightly, use mincing steps. Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29906 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

The garage floor has been poured over a month ago and we're not moving in for another 5 to 6 weeks. The house will be done early at the end of the month, but we're sticking to the original close date of May 19th and moving in on the 26th. I wanted to take that week to prep and paint the garage floor.

On moving day, my 800lb safe will be moved into place. I'll have to drill some holes in the concrete to bolt the safe down. Other than that, the rest will be my wooden bench and shop tools.

Tony.

Posts: 5519 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Not to hijack th OP or OT, but any pointers for applying to older floors? House is 40 years old, floor looks prestine with no cracks, chips, or damage. Just a few minor oil spots.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
So I am about 1.5 weeks from putting down a new floor. The technology and options have changed since I last did this on my old house 15+years ago.

• You need to decide if you want tiles, epoxy or the "new" Polycuramine or similar coverings
  • Technology has changed - I don't want tiles but epoxy is not longer the standard. You can get some multi-part mixes from the sponsors over at the GarageJournal or you can get the RockSolid Polycuramine (now owned by Rustoleum)
  • I really fell in love with the Metallic look floor - check out the pics from RockSolid, Pure Metallic, etc.
  • Figure out if you want to do it yourself or if you want a professional to do it. If doing Metallic myself, there were two options with RockSolid being one of them. The advantage of paying someone...well let's just say it is a lot of work with some risk it won't come out the way you want and if a company is doing it it is their headache.
  • The "new" stuff is a bit more expensive than the old (Twice as much) but is supposedly a lot tougher than epoxy. I went with RockSolid Metallic Copper Pot for 800 sqft and it cost me a bit under $1000 in materials.
  • Prep, prep, prep is critical. Repair cracks, loose concrete. Test for moisture, remediate if needed. Clean, chip (floor hog or grinder) and etch per the instructions. Then do it again. RockSolid says NO MURIATIC ACID but provides an etch with their kit.
  • Pros will lay down a base primer coat...more material and more $$ but better outcome. Then lay in what is essentially a clear coat with metallic color and dye mixed. Then an optional top coat. I'm doing no primer but I'm putting on a top coat.
  • Make sure temp and humidity are where they are supposed to be and follow the videos and instructions. If prep was done right and you don't mix in air bubbles - should come out looking pretty nice and pretty tough.

Good luck - I'll probably be posting back on here once I get started with prep and laying down of the material.

Edited to Add two videos that explain this - mother and daughter doing this...

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4Ff0sXDLFE

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsTz3iIMdBE

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDS2QVGkDxE

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Please do.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Diy or pro it's all about prep

Get it done before you park anything in
The garage

Posts: 24233 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum said: "You'll be fine trust us."

Picture of mn_smokeater
posted Hide Post
Gentleman I sell these aforementioned products.

I will tell you the same as has been before. PREP PREP PREP. This is key to a long product life.

FlyingScot hit on much of what I'd cover.

Two people are a must.

Any Questions feel free to ask at my profile email.

~------------------------------~
"Other Duties as Assigned"

Posts: 1355 | Location: Bemidji, MN | Registered: March 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the collective knowledge! This is great stuff!

Tony.

Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
Thanks!

The garage floor has been poured over a month ago and we're not moving in for another 5 to 6 weeks. The house will be done early at the end of the month, but we're sticking to the original close date of May 19th and moving in on the 26th. I wanted to take that week to prep and paint the garage floor.

On moving day, my 800lb safe will be moved into place. I'll have to drill some holes in the concrete to bolt the safe down. Other than that, the rest will be my wooden bench and shop tools.

Tony.

My house had a gray coating applied before I brought it, so my comments may be out of line since I've no idea of prep or what was used.
If you were simply going to park a vehicle in your garage and walk to and from it a superior coating properly applied should last you longer than 10 years or even a lifetime.
But it sounds like you may intend to use your garage as a shop...maybe like I do. I have a motorcycle lift, engine stand, jack stands and other equipment that roll on metal wheels. I'm doing something out there half the time. In the first 2-3 years I was wearing a path in the coating. 15 years now and over half of it's wore off.
Good luck with the new house.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
My garage will be a shop, but not an auto shop. I'll be building M14's for customers. I may put in a lathe and a mill at some time. There will most likely never be a car parked in there as long as I live there.

It will also be my new studio for future M14 videos.

Tony.

Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Quick update. Ground the floor with a diamabrush and cursed myself for specifying high psi concrete (4000 psi?). 10 hours for 600 sqft and my hands were numb the next day. I changed my flooring system choice to a Legacy Industrial Metallic epoxy. The RockSolid seems to be having a lot of issues with bubbling in many installs. On researching...they don't want the floor ground and a primer layer is much $$ - same as kit cost. I had over $1200 in materials from Home Depot I returned unused. The legacy product kit has a longer cure time so will be a few days before I can drive on. Targeting putting down this weekend and will post pics.

Before grinding

After grinding

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post