SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Flannel shirts
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flannel shirts Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Echtermetzger:
Forget all that stuff and start doing searches for merino wool.

undershirts, sweaters, hoodies, button down long sleeve, short sleeve, henley, crew.

Yes, you pay more for merino, BUT it requires less washing, is antimicrobial, warm wet or dry and breathes amazingly well.

And even just a nice wool sweater, too.

Ebay has a ton of used merino if you aren't too picky.

By definition, Merino wool isn't US made.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
If you want to avoid an undershirt the 8oz is heavy enough you'll certainly not miss it. The 4oz is going to come off as a soft Oxford weight I'd say. I'm not a fan of the light weight myself.

For normal winter indoor/outdoor wear I like that middle weight. The heavy plus an undershirt and vest is classic wood splitting wear.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5158 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
For normal winter indoor/outdoor wear I like that middle weight. The heavy plus an undershirt and vest is classic wood splitting wear.

Thanks. 6-8oz it is. My henleys are like a thick cotton t-shirt. I'm guessing that's less than 4oz.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12751 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
quote:
Forget all that stuff and start doing searches for merino wool.

undershirts, sweaters, hoodies, button down long sleeve, short sleeve, henley, crew.

Yes, you pay more for merino, BUT it requires less washing, is antimicrobial, warm wet or dry and breathes amazingly well.

And even just a nice wool sweater, too.

Ebay has a ton of used merino if you aren't too picky.

By definition, Merino wool isn't US made.

I'm not sure that's true - my understanding is that Merino is a group of related breeds of sheep, and that Merino wool is wool from Merino sheep regardless of where the sheep are raised.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
quote:
By definition, Merino wool isn't US made

It depends on the company. Some companies will get the wool from merino rams in New Zealand or Australia, for example, but send it off to mills in China or Vietnam or Bangladesh. Others will do the milling in US or Canada or New Zealand.

And if you go the ebay route, you can avoid any 'direct' dollars going to the People's Republic of China.

Merino wool, however, is far too awesome to ignore. And it is from Aussie and Kiwi shepherds, what's not to like?

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
This is a nice site for clothing... http://www.carbon2cobalt.com/

Posts: 2309 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquilon:
Try Vermont Flannel Co. classic flannels. They have a dark gray (as well as solid green and blue), U.S. made, about $54.

These are very nice and US made, HOWEVER, their sizing is screwy. I'm not a big dude and usually wear a medium in most shirts/jackets/vests...etc, sometimes a small if they run big. Their small is long on me and the sleeves are long. I'll say that I think it's nice enough to keep and have tailored.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9697 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
I got a spare solid faded brown(?) xl long from bean.
I just dont wear it. It maybe out of style but that seems to be what your after.
It’s broken In And clean.
No rips tears or holes.
It’s yours if its the right size and if ya want it.

Heck I have an Orvis fishing vest too. Takers?

Posts: 2330 | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, at the cost those Vermont Flannel Co. shirts should really have pockets that line up with the pattern of the shirt. Those diagonal pockets are kind of cheap looking on a shirt that ought to be high quality.

Posts: 26936 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
By definition, Merino wool isn't US made

It depends on the company. Some companies will get the wool from merino rams in New Zealand or Australia, for example, but send it off to mills in China or Vietnam or Bangladesh. Others will do the milling in US or Canada or New Zealand.

And if you go the ebay route, you can avoid any 'direct' dollars going to the People's Republic of China.

Merino wool, however, is far too awesome to ignore. And it is from Aussie and Kiwi shepherds, what's not to like?

There's a variety of Merino wool breeds in the world. Most are familiar with those in New Zealand and to a lesser extent Australia. The Merino breed in the US is the Rambouillet sheep, found throughout the western US. Montana being the largest producer of wool for textile; Vermont was the largest but was undercut by overseas competition during the industrial revolution. The hardest part of the wool textile chain for domestic production is not the farms but, the processors and mills...that industry in the US is all but extinct. I believe there's one processor and one mill left that can handle commercial scale production, both are located in North Carolina. I was a sales rep for Ibex years ago and we got the deep immersion in the whole supply chain as there was a couple of styles that were 100% USA sourced and made we had to know about.

Posts: 14687 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
filson alaskan guide shirt. not cheap, but made in usa and lifetime guarantee.

LLB are imported now. Pendleton has great stuff... mostly wool but they have some flannel.
https://www.pendleton-usa.com/...t&start=15&cgid=M110
https://www.pendleton-usa.com/...t&start=26&cgid=M110

These are what I wear, over the years I’ve managed to collect 4 of them. It’s sort of funny, that’s almost a thousand dollars worth of flannel...

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I just received an email sale notice from Costco and flannel shirts are featured for $9.99 w/free shipping. The reviews are mostly positive. I'm going to buy a couple. Normally I buy at Rural King farm store.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ve been wearing Henley shirts during the winter, perhaps with a thermal layer underneath. Usually been warm enough. But this year, as I age, it didn’t seem sufficient.

How about a different Henley? For the last couple winters I’ve I’ve been wearing Henleys from a company called Legendary Whitetails. It’s a two layer shirt of complementary colors like Navy blue and tan. I typically wear with a colored t-shirt that sorta matches either the primary or secondary color. Warm and they look good.

Alright, they changed the shirt. Here’s a link, maybe one of the two lined Henleys will suit you.

Legendary Whitetails Henleys

They also have flannel shirts

Posts: 13300 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post

Posts: 9980 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
filson alaskan guide shirt. not cheap, but made in usa and lifetime guarantee.

Filson Alaskan Guide is no longer made in the USA, unfortunately. And when they want $125 for it I really can't justify that for an imported shirt.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Pendleton washable wool shirts. You'll never look back at flannel

Posts: 5746 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
I’ve got ones from ll bean and mountain khaki.

I’m happy with them. The mk’s have a snap at the bottom to accommodate concealed carry.

0:01

Posts: 4215 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Vintage Moose Creek wool blend shirt/jacket, quilted lining, NEW, was my last estate score. Got it in August, cleaned a ton of crap off it, then stored it in a bag with cedar to kill the critters.

Not flannel, but wow, it is like a dry sauna, it is so warm. My flannel-lined jeans were pre-Lands End sell-out. Now about five sizes too big.

There are several new-with-tags solid color M.C. long sleeve flannel shirts on that auction site ...

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out the LL Bean Wicked Good Flannel Shirt, traditional fit houndstooth.
https://www.llbean.com/llb/sho...9&feat=589-GN1&csp=f

Devoid of the plaid patterns.

Posts: 636 | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
Another vote for LL Bean. I live in mine 6 months a year.

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post