SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Flannel shirts
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flannel shirts Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I’ve been wearing Henley shirts during the winter, perhaps with a thermal layer underneath. Usually been warm enough. But this year, as I age, it didn’t seem sufficient. So I’m looking at sales on flannel shirts for next winter.

First, it’s pretty hard to find made in USA. I thought it would be easy as sort of an iconic shirt. But it’s hard to find. I found some for $150 but I’m not paying that.

Second, why are they all plaid? Almost impossible to find gray man solid. Is there a reason for the plaid?

Looking at Vermont, Duluth, Carhatt, Lands End, LL Bean. Hard to find a balance of price, color, not made in China.

I think I’m going back to perhaps thicker thermals and Henley.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12750 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Textiles manufacturing in the US is prohibitively expensive.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best insulated flannel is at Bass Pro. One particular version blocks the wind like a windbreaker. I can get the specifics, if you're interested in the insulated flannel.

They are also available in several colors, but are one color shirts.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All mine are Duluth. Soft and thick. Wear well. watch their sales for good deals. Tried Carhartt but they are thin and shrunk, especially the sleeves.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16116 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Google "chamois shirts" for thick solid color flannel.

LL Bean has good ones.

Posts: 26935 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

LL Bean has good ones.

If you want US made, you might find NOS Woolrich on fleabay. You might consider wool such as Pendleton, but won't be US made.

Posts: 7471 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DanPatWork
posted Hide Post
Most of my "good" flannels are Woolrich. Some of them are solid colors. Some of my cheap but warmer insulated flannels are Wrangler brand. These insulated are more of an overcoat than a shirt with quilted lining. The Woolrich are a perfect medium weight all day shirt but they are pricey.......... You get what you pay for.

YMMV

Posts: 284 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: June 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Pendleton, check Amazon for deals, they're nice but expensive.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11780 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I have all kinds of flannel shirts in varying degrees of density for whatever the weather is outside.

I have never paid over 25 bucks for any of them and I can pretty much guarantee you none were made in the US. A few are solid colors that do require a little more looking around for.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5048 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:

LL Bean has good ones.

This right here ^^^

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15267 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
Try Vermont Flannel Co. classic flannels. They have a dark gray (as well as solid green and blue), U.S. made, about $54.

Posts: 966 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:

LL Bean has good ones.

+1

I have three solid color flannel/chamois shirts. Two of them are L.L. Bean and the third is a Field & Stream. I believe I bought all three at Costco.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LL Bean Wicked Good Flannel. They often sell out for the season, though. Around 50 bucks apiece, will last several years.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
LL Bean Wicked Good Flannel. They often sell out for the season, though. Around 50 bucks apiece, will last several years.

LL Bean are not U.S. made, are they? I thought their shirts were all imported now.

Posts: 966 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquilon:
Try Vermont Flannel Co. classic flannels. They have a dark gray (as well as solid green and blue), U.S. made, about $54.

Thanks for that link...unfortunately NO long sizes.

WHY I always end up with either Duluth or LL Bean. They do longs.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
filson alaskan guide shirt. not cheap, but made in usa and lifetime guarantee.

LLB are imported now. Pendleton has great stuff... mostly wool but they have some flannel.
https://www.pendleton-usa.com/...t&start=15&cgid=M110
https://www.pendleton-usa.com/...t&start=26&cgid=M110

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10494 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquilon:
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:

LL Bean are not U.S. made, are they? I thought their shirts were all imported now.

I think that’s correct. I think the era of US made textile and clothing manufacture is, for the most part, behind us. In my post suggesting LL Bean chamois cloth shirts, I was addressing OPs desire for solid color flannel shirts.

Posts: 26935 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
If you can get over the plaid, the Duluth Heavyweight Free Swingin' Flannel is awesome.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gasche
posted Hide Post
Eddie Bauer has long sizes. Probably not made in U.S.A. Prices are good if you get them at an outlet store.

Posts: 748 | Location: Western Washington AC | Registered: August 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
All mine are Duluth. Soft and thick. Wear well. watch their sales for good deals.

Once you buy from Duluth, make sure to check your profile to receive mail offers. You'll get a postcard or small catalog every month, and the sales alternate between "10% off and/or free shipping any order over $50" and "20% off AND free shipping any order over $75". This is when I buy from them. You'll have to use the code number from the postcard/catalog.

Posts: 10790 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post