SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Edited: So Mrs. BB61 and Miss BB61 feel like they are coming down with the flu (Just got back from the doctor and I have Type A Flu)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Edited: So Mrs. BB61 and Miss BB61 feel like they are coming down with the flu (Just got back from the doctor and I have Type A Flu) Login/Join 
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I used to take the flu shot every year, but the last one I had made me deathly sick. I'll take my chances from now on.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
The wife and I always get one. Does it help? Hell, I don't know but we seldom get the flu so, naturally, we believe in it. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
I've read elderberry extract lessons the flu if you take it when you first feel it coming on.

Yes...SAMBUCOL found at most drug stores now when you had to order it online many years ago. It comes in tablets and syrup while I like the syrup best.

https://www.sambucolusa.com/store/

There are other elderberry extracts but they are not effective as SAMBUCOL since they use a special process to preserver the ingredients.

It is suppose to cut your recovery time in half while it is most effective taking it when you start to feel bad. I always carry a bottle when I travel.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
and of course I feel like crap!!! I put off getting my flu shot this year and of course I got it for the the first time in years. If you haven’t got your shot yet, get it. Trust me on this one!

I flew on a red-eye from CA to Florida a few days ago. My back still hurts. I will trade your flu for my back, at least you will heal. Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ozarkwoods:
What are your symptoms? I have a cold with coughing ,sneezing and sinus drip. Yuck

1. Ache all over
2. Headache
3. Eyes hurt
4. Runny noise with clear discharge and congested too.
5. Nasty cough but I have asthma so the two feed on each other
6. A little bit of a sore throat
7. Interestingly enough, I don’t have a fever but I am cold
8. Tired but I cant’ sleep.

4-8 of the symptoms that and wife says my breath smells like a rotting carp wrapped in New York Slimes (dog shit) newspaper...ok so that was my interpretation of her description.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4837 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
To the OP, hang in there, flu is like 1/2 of death!

Frown

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, and not even the good half.

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
To the OP, hang in there, flu is like 1/2 of death!

Frown

Similar to mostly dead?

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/xbE8E1ez97M

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20825 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you haven’t got your shot yet, get it. Trust me on this one!

10% effective. At best. I don't think so.

Those of you with the flu please do everybody around you a favour: Wear a mask so you won't be blasting flu germs for a six foot radius around you.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife gets a flu shot once or twice every 3 years. She heard some crap somewhere that it could possibly cause alzheimers if gotten every year. She never gets the flu, BUT she rarely leaves the house. Me on the other hand I'm out in the public daily and have gotten the flu maybe once in 10 years. I have not and will not get a flu shot.

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I hope you feel better soon BB61.

I just got my flu and second pneumonia shot after first of the month. Flu is bad but pneumonia scares me knowing so many that have had it and ended up in the hospital.

Wife and daughter both pretty sick right now with bad cold symptoms. I drove wife to work at 5:30 AM because she was dizzy and really should have called in but she said they are so short of help already at the hospital from people calling in sick.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
If you haven’t got your shot yet, get it. Trust me on this one!

10% effective. At best. I don't think so.

Those of you with the flu please do everybody around you a favour: Wear a mask so you won't be blasting flu germs for a six foot radius around you.

I’m staying home from work again today so I don’t infect the entire building. I do have some work I need to get done by Tuesday so my staff is e-mailing it to me so I can read it later this weekend.

Posts: 12468 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m staying home from work again today so I don’t infect the entire building.

Good on you!

If more people would take at least minimal precautions to avoid spreading this stuff, it probably wouldn't be nearly so bad--or at least not affect nearly so many people.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I've never had a flu shot, and that won't change.

This.

At best the composition of the flu shot is just a guess. I haven't had the flu in years and I'm married to a teacher. Elderberry rocks. We take some elderberry syrup daily and also have a healthy portion of fermented foods with garlic. It's made a big difference in our day to day health

Mark

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Man! I love garlic. The real deal. I can eat small pieces as it can get warm. It smoothes out ones blood pressure and heart rate. I even noticed years back, although I wasnt pleasent to stand next to, on the fireing line, I could steady a target pistol considerably better after backing off on coffee and eating raw garlic.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I am conflicted about the flu shot. On the one hand, the recipe is a guess from several months ago. They look at Asia (I think)and see which strain will be most common this season and brew up several million doses. Sometimes, they guess wrong or the flu mutates. That's when the shot doesn't work.
On the other hand, I have seen young, healthy people with no medical problems up and die from "a simple flu". That freaks me out.

Luckily, I don't get to decide. My job mandates the shot.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope you were seen early enough to benefit from Tamiflu. It really makes a difference in terms of the severity and length of the Flu.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eat, sleep, fish.
Forced to work.
posted Hide Post
I've only had one flu shot. My arm hurt like hell for five days plus I came down with what I thought was the worst case of flu. I was wrong about it being the worst flu, as I do believe I have that now. I've been off work since Wednesday, and today is horrible. Severe diarrea and I can't keep any liquids down (not even 7up or ginger ale) Frown
My husband went and picked me up a bottle of Sambucol syrup.

Posts: 715 | Location: MN | Registered: January 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
I've read elderberry extract lessons the flu if you take it when you first feel it coming on.

Yes...SAMBUCOL found at most drug stores now when you had to order it online many years ago. It comes in tablets and syrup while I like the syrup best.

https://www.sambucolusa.com/store/

There are other elderberry extracts but they are not effective as SAMBUCOL since they use a special process to preserver the ingredients.

It is suppose to cut your recovery time in half while it is most effective taking it when you start to feel bad. I always carry a bottle when I travel.

I started a bottle right as I was feeling the first symptoms right before Christmas.

I still spent 7 days in bed, the Flu is terrible this year, and really kicked my butt. I've been back to work for a week and I'm still barely able to get through the day.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ozarkwoods:
What are your symptoms? I have a cold with coughing ,sneezing and sinus drip. Yuck

1. Ache all over
2. Headache
3. Eyes hurt
4. Runny noise with clear discharge and congested too.
5. Nasty cough but I have asthma so the two feed on each other
6. A little bit of a sore throat
7. Interestingly enough, I don’t have a fever but I am cold
8. Tired but I cant’ sleep.

Also the symptoms of flu come on very suddenly, unlike a cold which builds over a day or two. You feel much worse with the flu. Much worse. The ache and headache aren't generally symptoms of a cold. Fevers are much worse with the flu.

Flu is caused by different viruses. That is why there are different types. Which virus is going around can change from year to year.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post