SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My new strategy with YouTube has been going great
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My new strategy with YouTube has been going great Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
I deleted all of my “social media” except for this fine forum and the always informative YouTube.

A while ago I decided to adopt a strictly positive attitude when it comes to what I post. If something I see on YouTube is annoying or offers no enjoyment I don’t comment or hit the thumbs down button. I just look at something else.

This strategy has led me to focus only on my specific interests and the hobbies I enjoy. I have learned some great drills to improve the soccer team I coach. I’ve been discovered new drills and games my team loves that also improves their skills at the same time. I’ve taught myself how to build an electric bicycle, tear apart a mountain bike and was shocked to recently discover YouTube’s algorithms or whatever they do behind the scenes to recommend content led me to discover two incredible mountain bike parks are not that far from where I live.

I had assumed one of my favorite MTN bike content creators lived in Colorado or some state far away but nope. He lives in my state and recently opened a huge park.

I even got to go on a virtual ride along at a jump park that is only a 20 minute drive away. When the weather improves I’ll be exploring that place and having an absolute BLAST!

I know YouTube isn’t perfect and if I wanted to I could find reasons to dislike the place but lately it’s been an absolute joy. I’ve been learning a tremendous amount of stuff and love that so much information is at my fingertips.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21120 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never had any mechanical abilities whatsoever. Since Youtube has been around I can fix anything, cars, swimming pools, air conditioners, doesn't matter. Hell, I was able to rewire my pool and change the motor, saved me thousands. I love YouTube. But you're right, if you don't like something on there just move on.

Posts: 124 | Location: Oro Valley, Arizona | Registered: January 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
It's been mentioned here several times by myself and others - the Matt's Off-Road Recovery channel is one of the best and most positive communities on YouTube. If you haven't run down that rabbit hole, I recommend it!

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3302 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I had assumed one of my favorite MTN bike content creators lived in Colorado or some state far away but nope. He lives in my state and recently opened a huge park.

I even got to go on a virtual ride along at a jump park that is only a 20 minute drive away. When the weather improves I’ll be exploring that place and having an absolute BLAST!

where is that? A friend led the creation of this place, just across the river from me. https://www.patagonia.com/stor...dge/story-94306.html

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I pay 15 $/month for YT premium which eliminates all ads and gives me YT music. Far more information and entertainment than any other online venue.

Regarding other social media, I experimented with FB "friends," muting those with whom I could not truly interact, such as long-ago high school connections. I only kept those who I could see at church, visit, etc. Guess what -- no posts to see. Only well-intentioned FB ads. This proves that real friendship takes effort and intention.

YT is a time sink, though, for which I need some boundaries.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5055 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I agree, the amount of information we have at our fingertips, especially YouTube, is amazing.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5047 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I have no idea what I’m doing wrong with mine but it seems that the YouTube algorithm has absolutely no idea what I’m actually interested in. My recommended videos feed is basically stuff I’d never want to see along with videos I’ve already watched.

I’ve tried using the “not interested” and “I’ve already watched this video” buttons. I’ve even tried clearing my watch history. I could spend all day clicking “not interested”. It gets better after clearing the watch history but then degrades into gaming videos (something I am completely not interested in) and videos in other languages.

Posts: 45382 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
One thing I just learned is you can click the 3 dots on video recommendations and click "Don't Recommend Channel". It has helped me when they sometimes recommend stuff I have no interest in and don't want to see.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12445 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
One thing I just learned is you can click the 3 dots on video recommendations and click "Don't Recommend Channel". It has helped me when they sometimes recommend stuff I have no interest in and don't want to see.
I could do that for half an hour and it just doesn’t seem to help. It blocks one channel but the algorithm still suggest the topic. I think “not interested” helps with the topic while “don’t recommend channel” only blocks that single channel.

I just got suggested a Lakers vs Bulls game from 1984. If there’s one thing I’d rather never watch it’s basketball. I don’t watch any sports. *shrug*

Posts: 45382 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Mark, are you the only one watching YouTube from your account? If it is shared, it could get messy with finding content you like.

You say you “dislike” and “don’t recommend this channel” for a lot of content. Are you “liking” content that you do like? Iwould say it takes months to get the content you like, showing up as suggested content. I still get hammered with crap I have no interest in, but I think that is because my wife and I share an IP Address, and I think it sends me content based on that. I get a lot of suggestions for Korean dramas, and have never searched for, or watched one on my login. My wife however, watches them continuously on her login.

Yes, YouTube Premium is worth every penny to ditch the ads. It’s pretty much unwatchable with the ads.

Aside of watching all kinds of off road stuff I like, I have learned a lot from YouTube videos. From the easiest way to quickly lay flooring, to wiring in a keyless entry to a Toyota Tacoma, to baking amazing focaccia bread, it’s been pretty awesome.

You just have to skip the shit you’re not interested in.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4029 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I am the only one that uses my account but I see what you mean about the IP. Probably my son is getting me on the gaming crap because of a common household IP.

posted Hide Post
I watch YouTube on my big screen TV in my spare loft. Saves me from the comments. Usually gun videos and creators and history and 4wd off road related vids. My kid also watches gaming and heavy metal (mostly Metallica) videos. So the suggestions I get while watching are funny.

Posts: 4778 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:

where is that? A friend led the creation of this place, just across the river from me. https://www.patagonia.com/stor...dge/story-94306.html

PGT, Both parks are in the beautiful state of North Carolina. This was the first one that shocked me. I watched a lot of his videos on maintenance and ways to incorporate bike tools inside of tubes on the bike etc but I never paid much attention to his location so it was a bit of a surprise to learn it’s located in NC. Smile

This next video just randomly shows up in my recommended list so I give it a view. I commented on how that parked looked really fun and how I would build a similar park in my backyard if I had Elon’s money. Someone replied that it is indeed an incredible place to ride and encouraged me to go there and ride. This response actually made me look up where it was located. Imagine my surprise when I learned it’s about two hours away from where I live.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21120 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:
It's been mentioned here several times by myself and others - the Matt's Off-Road Recovery channel is one of the best and most positive communities on YouTube. If you haven't run down that rabbit hole, I recommend it!

Matts off road is great. Along with that Fab Rats, Lite Brite(Chris and Beck are a great addition to the show), Robbie Layton, and Bikes and Beards. Also Rudy from Matts off Road has started his own channel Rudys Adventure and design. It's just getting off the ground and is a bit rough but will improve with time and experience.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't mind the ads on YouTube.

I like that YouTube is free, but watching Hickok45 on YouTube is NOT priceless.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post