SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Echo chainsaw leaks fuel when filling and won't start, new chainsaw...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Echo chainsaw leaks fuel when filling and won't start, new chainsaw... Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
Anyone have experience with Echo chainsaws? I emailed the place that sold it to me but maybe I'm just missing something. I had trouble starting it last time I used it, only the second use. Today it won't start. I emptied the gas and replaced it and notice when it is on it's side as I fill it that a puddle of fuel leaks out somewhere near the front. Seemed when it wouldn't start and I took out the plug it was flooded. Maybe something not right?

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12439 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hairy2dawg
posted Hide Post
Not fuel, but I bought one about a month ago and used it once. The other day I picked it up in the garage, and there was bar oil all underneath it. I plan to take it back next week. I expect better from Echo.

Posts: 1276 | Location: Athens, GA | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
If its still a new saw, return it rather than trouble shoot it. You likely have a bad fuel line or a carb issue with it.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the float is stuck or needle valve is wide open in the carb

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37966 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hairy2dawg:
Not fuel, but I bought one about a month ago and used it once. The other day I picked it up in the garage, and there was bar oil all underneath it. I plan to take it back next week. I expect better from Echo.

I have a Stihl Farmboss that doesn’t es the same thing. I took it in for service and they said there isn’t anything wrong with it. I guess it could be because of the oil on the bar when it’s running but what do I know.

Posts: 2338 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:

Every chainsaw I ever owned did this. I thought all chainsaws did. Confused

Posts: 26912 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
quote:

LOL My last Echo (only other chainsaw) always started on 2 pulls at most. That's why I chose Echo again. I'll check a few things but it's likely just going back for service. Not sure on warranty. I bought it before our house was built back in February (I knew I'd not have the money after we moved in).

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12439 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hairy2dawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The Stihl chainsaws on our fire trucks don't leak like this one does. Neither does my Husky. We're not talking about a light film, this thing has leaked out half of the tank.

Posts: 1276 | Location: Athens, GA | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Echo leaks a little bar oil, but, yeah, every chainsaw I’ve ever used did.

It does have a particular start process. Not following that gets you nowhere.

I don’t think I’ve observed the gas leak.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I finally got fed up with all the little nuances of gas chain saw care & feeding. Still heat with firewood, so a good tool is required.

Traded my last FarmBoss 290 in on a cordless battery powered model. Couple of small clean up jobs about the estate & a nearly 3/4 cord stack & it's time for a recharge. That's fine, because so am I.

I like the quiet, the clean, the actual WORK/CUTTING time doesn't require more lengthy incantations and heated Words of Power.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You may just have a split in your fuel line after it leaves the reservoir. I run an Echo 600P and haven't had any problems but my kid's brand new Stihl 170 has the newer screw on fuel cap and it leaks out of the vent.

Posts: 381 | Location: East Texas | Registered: June 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Traded my last FarmBoss 290 in on a cordless battery powered model. u

Battery powered may be the future... but I had good luck with the MS290. Even better with the MS 362.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24121 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Most chainsaws these days have two gas lines coming into the carb. You want to start with these in tracking down a leak. They crack pretty easily. Also check the primer bulb. The carb would be next. Lots of good videos on youtube.

Sounds like it's a new saw, I would return it to that dealer before digging in much deeper.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Traded my last FarmBoss 290 in on a cordless battery powered model. u

Battery powered may be the future... but I had good luck with the MS290. Even better with the MS 362.

Really hard to go wrong with Stihl. Never needed any incantations to start any of them. Huskies are great once you get them running, but I believe there is an incantation there and I am not fluent in it. We’ve got a couple of the echo pole pruners (17’ extendable models) and they are nice and start easily, but are maybe not as tough as would be ideal for typical labor. Great if a guy only runs it himself, but not “employee proof”. I suspect this is no different with any pole saw as being light is important and there is a lot going on in that little package...

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
quote:
quote:

LOL My last Echo (only other chainsaw) always started on 2 pulls at most. That's why I chose Echo again. I'll check a few things but it's likely just going back for service. Not sure on warranty. I bought it before our house was built back in February (I knew I'd not have the money after we moved in).

My Echo was purchased by my Dad is in the mid 80’s never more than two pulls to start. I think I’ve replaced the plug twice and not because it was not running well. Most reliable saw I’ve ever owned.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I think they make consumer grade and some pro grade models.
If you have a use for a chainsaw a couple of times a year or more, just buy a Stihl or Husqvarna and be done with it.
They will have parts available for decades and most likely be the last one you need to buy.
Life's too short to mess around with the others.

Posts: 9520 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Sounds like the float is stuck or needle valve is wide open in the carb
Chainsaws have diaphragm type carbs .

Posts: 4059 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
Most chainsaws these days have two gas lines coming into the carb. You want to start with these in tracking down a leak. They crack pretty easily.

quote:
Originally posted by bustabuddy:
You may just have a split in your fuel line after it leaves the reservoir.

Yep. I had that on my couple-year-old leafblower last year. A few minutes installing some replacement fuel line, and I was back in business.

Posts: 32517 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I've been around chainsaws my whole life. As a kid, we burned 10-12 cord of wood per year, all cut from our family's land. My Dad's Stihl 041AV (AV: anti-vibrabration my ass!) was a workhorse. Vibrated so bad that you couldn't put it down. Literally, your hand was stuck and you had to have your fingers pried off.

I now have a Stihl 029, Husqvarna 257, and a little Stihl MS170 pruner. The 257 is a Swedish-made saw, and screams quality all over. Never owned an Echo saw, but my brother is a fan. They seem like a prosumer saw, in the same field as the Stihl 029. Parts are a little harder to come by than the Stihl or Husky.

After all my experience with saws, I'm increasing leaning towards the belief that my needs would be better served with the new Milwaukee cordless. I am already heavily invested in their tools, have many batteries, and would have two 12ah and one 9ah batteries, plus a mess of 3,4,5ah batteries. I'm thinking I could cut every tree I own without ever needing to recharge.

I used to be opposed to cordless anything. Back when the Makita 9v drill ruled the world, I wouldn't give a cordless a second look. I'm afraid I've made the switch where I'm completely taken by cordless everything. Yesterday my son was trying to start my Echo string trimmer, and I said "Crap, I should just get a cordless one."

I've switched to the dark side. There is no longer any conflict within. Smile

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
I used to be opposed to cordless anything. Back when the Makita 9v drill ruled the world, I wouldn't give a cordless a second look.

Big Grin ~25 years ago, all the cool dads on the block had one of those seafoam green Makita 9v drills, with the huge stick battery that you loaded into the bottom of the grip like a handgun magazine.

Posts: 32517 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post