SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does anyone else have a strong reaction to needles?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone else have a strong reaction to needles? Login/Join 
Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
I recall in Navy Boot Camp they lined us up for blood draw. It was 3 or so lines of guys. When your turn came up you stood there and put your arm over a wooden bench about chest high and the guy on the other side would stick a needle in and draw blood. A good portion of recruits passed out. Fortunately I didn't. I'd learn beforehand to not watch the needle going in and the blood coming out.

Most phlebotomists today are able to enter a vein and draw blood with out any pain or discomfort. The key for those sensitive to this procedure is don't watch.

For me, I've been stuck so many times it's a non issue. I laugh and tell jokes with the tech doing blood draws and watching the whole thing is not a big deal.

For me was the Guns. Walked to table 2 shots in both arms with needles, walked to next table 2 shots with the guns.

Many would move and end up bleeding like a faucet with those Guns, and many that passed out.

Posts: 1894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
For me was the Guns. Walked to table 2 shots in both arms with needles, walked to next table 2 shots with the guns.

Yes, I remember the guns. They actually forced the liquid through the skin by way of very high pressure air. It needed to stay firmly against the skin or it would tear and make a mess. They hurt like hell but at least it only lasted a few seconds if all went correctly, and then, there was no needle for people to be afraid of.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I’d bet that acupuncture would help the “fear of needles” syndrome.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9002 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I like watching the needle go in when I give blood.

Posts: 3470 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I'm a Type 1 diabetic, so no issues with needles. Getting a spinal tap did suck, though.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17305 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post