SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does anyone else have a strong reaction to needles?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone else have a strong reaction to needles? Login/Join 
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted
I’m likely surrendering what’s left of my man card here, but I have a fairly strong vasovagal reaction to needles, whether it’s an injection or a blood draw. I generally pass out, sometimes vomit, and break out into an intense sweat.

Today I had some injections in my lumbar spinal area. I never saw the needles, but I went out like a light. (There were 10 injections, so this was a little more extreme of an example.)

Does anyone else want to confess to this issue, and if so, what are some things that you do to help minimize the reaction? It’s embarassing as can be.

Posts: 3678 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Not at all. They have never bothered me one bit. I have seen people react the same as you however. No big deal unless you don't give the person sticking you with the needle, a heads up of some sort.

You could post a video of you on here. I am sure no one would get a laugh out of it and only give you guidance..... Big Grin

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1853 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I have a buddy I've been friends with since high school. He's a big guy, 6'4" and works as an electrician. I've been camping and hiking with this guy since basically forever. I've seen him cut himself pretty bad on tools and knives...

but the slightest needle prick, and it's lights out. 100% of the time. Needles don't bother him, not intimidated by them, and there's nothing he can do about it. He just has to have a talk with anyone who draws his blood, insist that they take his blood laying down, and insist that they finish drawing blood or giving injections while he's knocked out, otherwise he's just going to pass out again when they stop and have to do it again.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
When I was a little tyke I regularly had to get gamma-globulin shots, which I recall having very little enthusism for. I've never liked needles since then, but I don't have as bad a reaction to them as you describe. I just don't look at them as they are being jabbed into my arm.

Posts: 26943 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I'll step up.

I surely have issues with needles, but specifically blood draws from my arm. No fainting, but sweating, perspiring and general fear.

I can do an injection, but do not want to see it happening. I can NOT watch a blood draw or an IV drug user on TV or live either. I immediately turn away.

The weirdness of my issue; thirty two years as a cop. Dealing with all sorts of blood and unpleasantness. I've attended several autopsies as well as performed some grisly first aid to accident victims. Of course, that was my Duty and I had to perform as required. So I did what I had to do.

But, occasionally after it was over. I would get the sweats and feel nauseous. It did diminish over time.

Getting a blood draw was a huge issue. I had to do an annual Flight Physical when I was in the Aviation Unit in the Army Guard. I luckily knew one of the Medics and She would hold my hand, talk to me, etc. Certainly embarrassing.
At worse I would get light headed, but I never fainted.

Recently having to get some blood draws for annual physicals, etc...I found a phlebotomist at the local Hospital Lab who took my issues to heart when aware of them. She suggested a draw from my hand. What a life changer! My stress and aversion levels go WAY DOWN. FAR easier on my than from the arm.

I hope You can get some relief. I tried just about everything short of a Lab visit while drunk. Maybe someone else will check in with some suggestion.

But believe me....You are NOT alone.

FN in MT

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Same here but I have gotten better. Shoulder cortisone shots were the worst. Funny thing is about have pulled hooks out of my palm, buttefly tape stitched slices that latef got stitches. Fixed up a few folks and family fairly gruesome injuries like compound fractures until we could get to care...and I still get a Vaso reaction to needles.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
No. Although I had local anesthetic in my mouth today, and those sticks hurt. Even with the gel anesthetic they rub on first.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let me tell you about the shot I got in my eye!

"Are you serious Doc?"

Posts: 1352 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I didn’t like getting shots as a kid, but after I had the lung surgery in the Navy, collapsed lung repair, I have no problems with any treatments, shots, blood draws, etc.

I didn’t like the MRI I had a few years ago. They could have made it more unpleasant by forcing Oprah Winfrey reruns while they banged on the tube, I guess.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I hate needles. Giving blood is the absolute worst. That has more to do with where the needle is going than anything else though. Getting a tattoo for instance doesn't bother me, but having a needle inserted into that "delicate" part of the arm makes me queasy and on the verge of sweats.

I've never passed out though. Once during a Navy physical a nice black lady was pulling a blood sample from me and could tell that i wasn't enjoying it one bit and thought I might actually pass out. So she gave me a cookie. Smile

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30433 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Personally I don't, but I have seen it pretty extreme.

Chemical Officer Basic Course, 1990. Had an LT who was prior service enlisted Marine infantry who went to school after his enlistment and went thru Army ROTC and obtained his commission. Required for graduation was live handling and decon of nerve agents in the CDTF (Chemical Decon Training Facility). Extremely tight protocols, including mandatory blood draw before and after training to ensure no exposure to the agents.

Just sit in the lounge type chair stick your arm out and they draw a vial of blood. The LT in question started sweating profusely and after sitting in the chair it took two of us on each arm and leg to hold him down while he was screaming at the top of his lungs to get a vial of blood. No blood, no certification, no graduation, so he pushed himself to do it. He didn't pass out, but it was quite the ordeal.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I may still get queasy if given a shot, it's been so many years since I got one that I just don't know.

One problem is gone, though. I would get dizzy and light-headed watching my pets get shots, and I couldn't be in the room during a blood draw. Then, one of the kittens needed IV Ringer's Lactate daily for some weeks. The Vet's office was over an hour away, and he said the kitten wouldn't survive without treatment. My fears and queasiness instantly went away and never came back. Since then I've given all sorts of sub-q shots, IV fluids, lots of stuff that won't go down the throat or up the ass, and no problems.

You do what you have to do.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9177 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
...but I never fainted.

FN in MT

Ahem...you mean "passed out" surely. Not fainted. Razz

You and i by the way seem to have the exact same aversion. I can take injections/needles in my upper arm, hand, really anywhere...but stick a needle in my arm inside of the elbow and I start really needing a cookie.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30433 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
OK I'll cop to it. I can get quesy, light headed, perspire, etc. at any little injection or draw.

I know it's mental, so I just try to calm myself as much as possible and mentally go to my happy place.

Of course I'll also inform whomever that I need to be lying down prior to the injection or draw. They almost always thank me for being up front as it must be a pain to pick somebody off the floor when it could have been prevented.

Cheers~

Posts: 907 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I do not like needles, who does? In the arm, in the ass, to numb your gums, or skin, meh, no problem.

My issue is blood draws. I have syncope. One vial, slightly light headed. Two vials, more light headed. Three, very light headed but OK. And four? I pass out. Nothing I can do about it, it’s how my body reacts. I will go down. It’s not uncommon either. This is why I eat like a nutritionist, and work out like an athlete. I stay incredibly fit with a solid layer of muscle on every muscle in the body.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12660 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
NBC warfare training at Geiger, we had to give ourselves a shot in the leg to simulate an atropine injecting for nerve gas exposure. Memories (1964).

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1324 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
I'm somewhat okay with them. I can give blood and such, just can't watch it happen.

Had to get an injection in my eye a couple years back. That one had me near dry heaving in the waste basket at the Doc's office.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5762 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll come clean, last year was the very 1st time I could get the nerve to watch my flu shot and the next blood draw tube fill up. My forehead felt hot but no sweat beads. I have floating veins so the phlebotomists stick me more than once or they use my backhand to get the juice. I drink plenty of water before a draw.

I could NEVER & I mean NEVER be a needle junkie.
As a matter of fact, if the FUZZ stopped me & ask if I had anything that would stick him or if I had needles, I'd proudly say, No! & let's go find someone that does & beat them senseless & left for dead.

Don't fret, it took me to age 69 before I found the courage to look at needles. Did I mention I hate needles & people that use them?

Sorry about the use of FUZZ, haven't said that since high school. Next,I'm using Johnnylaw!

Posts: 5769 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Guilty here. Inherited from my father. I used to watch them as a kid no problem. Then I watched a blood draw and it had been some time since my last needle like 10 years, told the lady I think im gonna passed out then went somewhere for what seemed to be 4 hours. Woke up 5 seconds later. Asked her why my pants were off(ok i made up that last part).

If I don't look I am fine but now I get anxiety about worrying about passing out... Happened again when I was holding my wifes hand when they were working on her in the ER. Minor thing but giant needle. Got a good razzing for that one and landed on my teeth.

Done a few blood draws after with success but now I am just in my head. passing out sucks.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8228 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I basically won't go to the doctor unless it gets to a point of "no return". I posted in the thread about the white coat syndrome and how my BP goes thru the roof at first. I always ask the doc to take my BP before leaving the office and it always comes down a good bit. I have the same distain for needles, doctors and dentists, always have since a kid. As of late I was in a corner again about seeing the doctor again and the same stuff...my BP was 208/110 and of course back on meds again. My second visit this last week was for various testing and blood work. When it came to draw I glanced away but would swear she never inserted a needle but took several vials out of my arm. All to do about nothing, but nonetheless the BP is still very high and just can't mind-will it down. It is what it is and with several more tests scheduled I don't see a change in white coat syndrome but, at least for now, they have enough blood to do what labs are needed and I can take a breather.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post