SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who's been to St. Thomas?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who's been to St. Thomas? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Fly into St. Thomas and then find a way to go elsewhere. Get to the British side as soon as possible. I normally get a boat but if you need to use the ferries my favorite is Jost. You can day trip there from red hook if you are stuck on St. Thomas. If you get to Road Town you can then go to the other good spots. I'd go to Virgin Gorda, Anegada and eat at coopers for a first set of recommendations.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The only reason to go there, versus other nearby islands, is price.
Last time I was there crime was a problem and most of the place was just another city.
St. John's is nicer, BVI much nicer. You can see both in the distance from St. Thomas.

Posts: 9454 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Trip is booked. The resort has anything we could want, I just wanted to be sure i wouldn't miss anything off the beaten path. Thanks for the info guys.

Posts: 13734 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Trip is booked. The resort has anything we could want, I just wanted to be sure i wouldn't miss anything off the beaten path. Thanks for the info guys.

If that's the case, take a day trip over to St. Johns on a fast ferry to check it out for the day. It would make a nice excursion.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:

If that's the case, take a day trip over to St. Johns on a fast ferry to check it out for the day. It would make a nice excursion.

There's no fast ferries. They all run on Island Time Cool

The ferry to St. John only takes about 30 minutes.

The BVI are very nice, been to several of them. Remember to bring your passports if you want to go there.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Double down on this. From Red Hook.

quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Magens bay, north side of the island. Take the ferry over to St.John and visit Trunk bay & Caneel bay, you'll be glad you did Wink

Posts: 1972 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I pulled liberty there a few times in the Navy. Try a banana daiquiri if its still a common drink there. As was said earlier, travel to St Johns and have a Daiquiri there too!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
We pulled in there with the navy too and you don't go to the tourist side.

My fondest memory was eating a burger in a 24hr diner that all the cabbies hung out in.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention if you're into fishing, St. Thomas is one of the best places to fish for Blue Marlin anywhere and the next two months are the best time to fish for them. I have a buddy who has been living down there 25 years and runs a charter business. About time Charters 340-227-5114 Frank Griffin. Real Great guy and good fisherman. Tell him Capt. James sent you (with the 58' Striker and 64' Hatteras MY)and he'll take care of you and work extra hard to get you fish. He's out of Red Hook.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't stray off the tourist paths unless your with someone that lives there

STT is in top 20 worldwide for homicide. #1 for US

Sorry that's reality

This message has been edited. Last edited by: snwghst,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Don't leave the resort.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wreckdiverjosh
posted Hide Post

Hop the boat over to St. John or BVI...

Change of Plans...

Posts: 268 | Location: Virginia | Registered: March 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shop for jewelry, visit Coki Beach dive club. Drink lots of Daiquiris. Visit St John.

Posts: 170 | Registered: March 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
In the fishing village of Red Hook (north side of island) you can actually rent a boat and take it yourself Cool

We did a half-day and boated ourselves over to the coast of St. Johns for some snorkeling and a picnic.

Awesome Powerboat Rentals is who we used for the rental - they have twin hulls/twin outboards.

There's a little deli/convenience food store in Red Hook that provided box lunches and cold beer.

After our boating excursion we spent the rest of the afternoon at a great harbor-side bar.

This was one of the best experiences of our trip!!!

Good luck!

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post