SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who's been to St. Thomas?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who's been to St. Thomas? Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted
Wife booked us a trip there. What to do besides lounge around and not give a rip about the rest of the world?

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Magens bay, north side of the island. Take the ferry over to St.John and visit Trunk bay & Caneel bay, you'll be glad you did Wink

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Conch chowder and drinks at the Greenhouse bar/restaurant? Wink

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6211 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Been awhile since I've been there, but I recommend snorkeling. It was beautiful under water, the fish were amazing.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
quote:
What to do besides lounge around and not give a rip about the rest of the world?

I think you've covered everything. Smile If you get tired of St. Thomas, take the ferry at Red Hook over to St. John and check out Cruz Bay. It's an impossibly beautiful place.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5281 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
Ferry to St. John. Get your live music, grub, drinks and beach time at: Beach Bar St. John

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
It's been awhile but last time I rented a Jeep and we drove over to Megans Bay and then to Jersey Bay. There was a marina at Jersey Bay with very good hamburgers. We had been there eight years earlier and my wife didn't believe I remembered where it was, we'd gone by boat before.

Definitely snorkel! Get a guide or go with a tour to a remote area. I don't swim but spent hours in the water on two weeklong trips we did to the BVIs.

Not sure if you can get a tour to Jost Van Dyke, a small island in the BVIs. They have a great bar, Foxy's. Good food and a party every nite.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Leemur, I'm going to piggy back on your thread.

Getting married there in June, the CSM to be wants to send back her bouquet. Is this possible via mail? It being a US territory and all.

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnnyD
posted Hide Post
I was there many years ago. I forget the name of the hotel, but my travel agent said it was a couple hundred yards from the ocean. She failed to mention that the hotel was way uphill!
I agree on the snorkeling and St. John. It's a beautiful place, but there is a lot of poverty there as well. Lots of rum drunks. But again, my experience was many years ago.
I hope you have a great time.

-----------------------------------

USAF/ANG Retired

Posts: 782 | Location: Garland, (Zombieland) TX. | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
My wife (and subsequently I) spent months there as part of a project she was working on.

A couple of observations:
1. the island is actually a solid rock and absorbs the Sun's heat and it is about 10 degrees warmer than the surrounding islands believe it or not..
2. the people for the most part are a beautiful blend of cultures but away from the tourists developments there is serious crime. I would never think of walking alone at night.
3. Despite it being illegal to own guns (for all practical purposes) many people do carry as a way to protect themselves from the rampant crime.

We first looked at buying property because it is so beautiful but after finding out more about the island decided not to.

BTW, the government is completely broke!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is there to do in St. Thomas? Well, my avatar picture was taken in St. Thomas doing what I do very well...sitting at a bar having a Scotch and soda.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
paradise point. Gondela up to the top overlooks the bay, drinks are served, food was good about 10 years ago.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Wife booked us a trip there. What to do besides lounge around and not give a rip about the rest of the world?

Go to a different island. If you can I would switch the trip. St. Maarten would be my first recommendation. I'm a Yacht Captain and have been to every island in all of the carribean many times and St. Thomas is one of my least favorites, it's a larger island with not much to do. Honestly I'd choose PR over it any day of the week. But my most favorite island with a lot of stuff to do would be St. Maarten.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
The only reason to go to St. Thomas is to take the ferry to St. John.

St. John is so much nicer and a lot less developed.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been over a decade but went there several times to visit my daughter attending University of the Virgin Islands. It is a historical black college so she got a minority scholarship! I recall Megans Bay and very good milkshake on the way there. I agree St. John is better place to visit. Recall an underwater station also to see the sea life.

Posts: 73 | Location: Oceanside, CA | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
When it comes to the USVI they can be rated as follows: St John, St Croix, and last St Thomas. I've been to them all and that is how I'd rate them.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
My wife and I went to a conference last year on St Thomas at the Marriott resort there

We got there early to spend half a week on St. John

St. John is fantastic. I'd go back there tomorrow

St Thomas is, as people have already said, not early what St. John is. Everything we needed was at our resort, which is good because Charlotte Amalie is a third world country. We went all over st Thomas as well. And parts of it are gorgeous. But it's hard to see past a lot of the poverty and ghetto that permeates the island

We still had a great time, but St. John spoiled us.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Exactly. Before children spent a week at Caneel Bay and Little Dix Bay. Relaxed luxury without hassle. Expensive but worth every penny.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:

Agreed.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm not going to rain on your parade- I've never been to the islands, may never be able to afford the trip there, but I hope you and your wife have the time of your lives! Enjoy your escape!

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post