SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody refurb old white gas Coleman stoves & lanterns?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody refurb old white gas Coleman stoves & lanterns? Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted
I've got a small stash of old Coleman white gas lanterns and stoves that need some work. Should be a good, fun, and interesting cold weather stay in the shop type of thing to do.

A long time ago Coleman sold replacement leather cups for the pumps, they worked really well, but alas now it's just seemingly junky neoprene rubber or whatever.

Has anyone tried the aftermarket leather cups on eBay or Amazon?

Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OKCGene,

Posts: 11854 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Can't answer the question but I'm interested in the answer as I've got two 1940s models that I've been wanting to rebuild/refurb. They still work, but they're not up to snuff.

I did find this site several years ago that has some good information you might find useful.

https://www.oldtowncoleman.com/

Posts: 20118 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
We have sold many of the stoves and lanterns at this Flea Market. Even one old lantern which was still boxed new. Sold a 3 burner stove and around 5 heaters. You remember the heaters?

Posts: 17903 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I swear my dad has at least 10-12 lanterns, bought a pair every decade, they're somewhere in the attic or, shed.

Wonder how much they can be sold for...?

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I've got two Coleman stoves and a lantern that I recently cleaned up and got working. I keep them in the basement for when we lose power. They go back to the early seventies or late sixties.

I replaced the pump valve on one of the stoves and lubricated everything else on the others. Just some elbow grease and a little time. I used CLP and a can of WD40 special lubricant. Everything works well now. Walmart sells a kit (several years ago now) that had a leather replacement pad and mantels for the lantern. They also sell white gas.

It was a fun project.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5045 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I know a man that does.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34124 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I Googled "Coleman Leather Pump Cup" and this is the first hit:

Coleman Pump Cup C006 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002..._encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The second hit is a 5 pack from eBay for $13.

Posts: 13049 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I did mine over the summer. The leather cup was fine and still works…had a bunch of hardened glop in the tube with the needle. (I don’t know the terminology for the parts) once I got that cleaned it began working fine.

There’s you tube videos out there for guidance.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
I Googled "Coleman Leather Pump Cup" and this is the first hit:

Coleman Pump Cup C006 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002..._encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The second hit is a 5 pack from eBay for $13.

Yes, thanks, those are the ones I was alluding to but I didn’t post links. I think I’ll order some to try out.

I do some leather work, my teacher is recommending Neats Foot Oil to condition and lube the leather.

I picked up 2 gallons of Coleman fuel.

This is going to be fun and interesting and quite useful. I love the hiss sound of these vintage units.

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
We have sold many of the stoves and lanterns at this Flea Market. Even one old lantern which was still boxed new. Sold a 3 burner stove and around 5 heaters. You remember the heaters?

Yes I had a Coleman heater, it never really worked quite that well.

I have a Coleman 3 burner white gas stove I purchased new at my summer job during College in ‘77. It’s in my garage inside the original cardboard box it came in.

Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
If you want to sell one, I'd be willing to give it a shot and post the results here.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
I wouldnt say I refurbished my dads old lantern, but years ago I replaced the pump, filler cap, and an internal part in the globe area. It works great and I would never sell it.

I also found a fuel tank for my Coleman stove. So now I can use propane or white fuel.

I like there old stuff but I think the newer stoves, not necessarily Coleman, have higher BTUs.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3869 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
I know a man that does.

I think I know the same guy.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Youtube has a ton of videos on Coleman.

Posts: 5305 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I still play around with them. Used them and Petromax & Optimus lanterns since I was a kid in hurricane central.

Please let us know the model #s.

All of them are interesting, but there are some really bright lanterns like the 236 (Coleman fluid) and 237 (kerosene).

Like the military era Coleman lanterns & stoves as well-

Many times those old leather cups can be saved if there are no rips...

I have gotten quite a few parts from ebay and estate sales. There's are a few gentlemen in Canada that have extensive stores of vintage Coleman parts.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I used the Coleman kit to fix the pump on my 70s stove last year, including the leather gasket, before a camping trip last year. Works like a charm.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10491 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dubdubu
posted Hide Post
Found this rather interesting. How to make your own.
https://www.colemancollectorsf...opic.php?f=6&t=14515

Posts: 68 | Location: St Louis Co, Mo | Registered: November 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This past summer I decided to look up the prices of Coleman lanterns for a garage sale.
The "Little Red Lantern" Model 200A that I bought for $5 years ago is selling for around $200. I guess I will be keeping that one.
It pays to keep your eyes open in as much as
one man's trash is another man's treasure.
Besides, these lanterns and stoves are very handy in a pinch.

Posts: 358 | Registered: March 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post