SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hankerchiefs-anybody carry one?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hankerchiefs-anybody carry one? Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by urbanwarrior238:
I did when I was working LEO and still do now that I am retired. Carry it not necessarily for the sneezing/nose work but it makes a quick/always on your person compress when you roll up to a car crash/shooting, etc.

There are better options than using your belt for a tourniquet and your handkerchief for a pressure dressing these days.

They have compressed, vacuum sealed compression bandages and gauze that fit in your pockets nowadays.

Or even something like an ABD pad isn't really any bigger than a handkerchief, but is significantly more absorbant.

Or you can just do like I do, and have your trauma kit staged for easy grabbing and slinging over your shoulder as you exit your vehicle.

quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
bandana back in the day carried one but no way today... could be mistaken for "GANG COLORS" ...(especially the red or blue)......... drill sgt.

I don't know about your area/situation specifically, but in general, that's massively overblown. If you were in the midst of a high crime, high gang activity ghetto area, that could be a concern, especially if you're a youth or young adult. But elsewhere, a bandana is just a bandana, especially on an older person.

The media and local community groups love to work upper middle class suburban moms in particular into hysteria with crap like this, when they run news stories and give presentations to civic groups about how certain high profile gangs (usually hundreds/thousands of miles away) fly certain colors. The moms (and sometimes even the school districts) then freak out, and ban their children from wearing red, blue, and various other colored clothing, because they're terrified that their babies will get gunned down in a drive by shooting after being mistaken for a rival gang member.

Relax, Karen... There aren't cars full of big city gangbangers prowling your Whole Foods parking lot in the middle of Bumfuck Rural Midwest USA looking for people wearing certain colors to shoot. And nobody is going to mistake your chubby white 9 year old son for a Crip, even if he's wearing a blue t-shirt. Big Grin

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
If you use it to blow your nose, that's kind of like using the same tissue over and over. Gosh NO!

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14010 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Every damn day.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I have since I started wearing pants.

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
Bandanna type......always.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3437 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I keep a handkerchief in my pocket.

I use it for cleaning my glasses, more than anything else.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30674 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Yes, I carry one everyday. Lots of uses for one, hate it when it is rarely forgotten, I prefer white cotton.

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bandanna everyday.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
Bandanna everyday.

Same here. Started when I was a teen, just a habit, but a useful one in my viewpoint.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
Bandanna everyday.

Same here. Started when I was a teen, just a habit, but a useful one in my viewpoint.

Yep, had them for years. I like the red, blue and other color versions.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
Nope never have. I wear a suit every day, but have never needed a hankerchief.

I do keep a microfiber cloth close for the glasses and phone screen.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
I carry a white one in my back pocket everyday. Rarely used. But if I use it it goes into the laundry hamper and I get a fresh one.

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
I can't remember how old I was when I started carrying a handkerchief. Probably was when I was 4 or 5. Still carry one everyday. I reckon I will stop when I die.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
I always used to, but stopped a few years ago....not sure why. I still have a stack of them in the closet.

And as above, I can think of two times where I let a lady friend use it.

I think I'll back into the habit of carrying one! Smile

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38678 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Damn, this reminds me of my Dad! He carried a white handkerchief for years. I always thought it was just nasty. Toss a bugger in it and put it back into your pocket.

Thank you tissues!!!!!!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Yes I do but for whatever reason not on a daily bases.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I'm never without one of my big red or blue snot rags. My wife has even started carrying them when we go for our daily walks.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
When I was growing up my father impressed on me the need for a man to always carry a clean handkerchief, an ink pen and nail clippers Have come in handy over the past 60+ years and I do have tissues handy for the nose wipe duties.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
I can’t remember when I didn’t have one with me.

Posts: 5696 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I remember as a kid getting some monogramed hankerchiefs as a birthday gift from one of my older aunts. This was of course back in the fifties. Even as a kid I thought well these are going in a drawer somewhere.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post