SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My first trip to Mexico (on a motorcycle, no less).
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My first trip to Mexico (on a motorcycle, no less). Login/Join 
Picture of fwbulldog
posted
Spent 3 days riding in the mountains of Sierra Madre Oriental mountains of Mexico with the MexTrek crew. These guys do 4 trips a year to Santiago/Galeana in Nuevo Leon.

This is the first time I've been south of the border. It was pretty awesome. The people are kind, the food was great. I don't speak much spanish, but was able to get by ok. Getting through immigration caused me some anxiety, but mostly just because I didn't know what to expect. You hear stories, but it was all a non-event if you have the right paperwork.

We traveled from Mission TX to Santiago. It's only a 2 hour ride from the border, and you're in some killer mountains. And I'm from Colorado, so I've seen some mountains!

Posts: 3017 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you made it home OK, and that you had a good time.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You didn't get penetration
even with the elephant gun.
Picture of cheeze
posted Hide Post
We go to Mexico once a year or so. I could argue that (depending on exact local of course) you’d be safer there, than on the beach in LA or San Diego.

DONT TREAD ON ME

Posts: 2247 | Location: AZ | Registered: January 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
That’s awesome… I went to Mikes sky ranch a couple Of times in the late 80’s early 90’s it was amazing riding and a great time. I was with friends that grew up riding in SoCal and were very knowledgeable.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3696 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And here I was expecting we would be seeing a speedometer at 160 MPH like the Corvette guys that say they are in "Mexico" with the speedo at 180 but with North American flora along side of the road. LOL

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2892 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did a trip back about 2000 that dropped in near Brownsville and went down through the mountains all the way down to Puebla. Then worked our way back up along the coast. It was an amazing trip. On the trip with me was my friend/Best Man who was fluent in Spanish. Tour lead was a total tool. After day one we just got our destination the night before and said "see you at the hotel tonight" . By day 3 we had half the group begging to join us. The tool was refusing to do side trips to any of the pyramids or other historical sites. The people off in the small towns were great to talk to.
I was slightly concerned about our security before the trip but we had zero issues. Having said that, I'm not sure I could get comfortable enough to do the trip in today's world. And on an Adventurous meter of 1-10 I'm probably a solid 8-9.

Posts: 1969 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
Looks like a trip to remember.
I have friends that ride in Mexico. They have never had any issues. They ride with a group so that helps.
Mexico is a beautiful country.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4834 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post