SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Space question.- Interesting video added.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Space question.- Interesting video added. Login/Join 
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
is there a maximum speed limit in space for rocket ships with humans on board?

You planning on taking some of us back when you go home?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43903 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Galaxies are shards and the stars micro-shards of two swords, wielded each by a warrior, hitting each other.

Earth is orbiting one of those micro-shards and in the eyes of the two warriors, just a momentary spark of light.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:

E=MC(squared)

0.99999999999999999999999999999999999 the speed of light. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I thought this was going to be about self-storage.

Posts: 18074 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The term "revolve" or "orbit" means that an object moves around a point in space on a certain path. Generally, this center point is an object - like your examples - or, in a binary system, a point in space called a barycenter, around which both bodies orbit. The barycenter is located at the system's center of mass. Commonly cited examples of orbiting objects are the ones you gave above - moons, planets, and stars. But all of these objects orbit a center point.

If the universe has no center point, what can galaxies orbit? Each other? In some cases, this is true. The Milky Way is orbited by some smaller "satellite" dwarf galaxies, such as the Large and Small Magellanic Clouds. Andromeda, a nearby spiral galaxy, also has these satellites. But do the Milky Way and Andromeda orbit anything? No.

The Milky Way and Andromeda are part of the Local Group, our local galaxy cluster. They are gravitationally bound to each other. There is a center of mass in the Local Group, just as there is in a stellar system. But in the Local Group, the Milky Way and Andromeda are actually coming towards each other. A collision, and eventual merger, between the two, is expected to happen billions of years in the future.

On a larger scale, the Local Group is part of the Virgo Supercluster. It contains many other galaxy clusters. It, too, has a center of mass. But all the galaxy clusters are not "orbiting" this center of mass. They are merely bound together, thanks to gravity.

On an even larger scale, "filaments" are created out of long lines of galaxy superclusters. In fact, at even larger scales, the universe is thought to be homogenous - essentially the same in all directions. There is no single point in space that is the center, like you said, or that is different rom all the others.

Of course, the universe is thought to be expanding. In that case, not only are galaxy clusters and superclusters not closely orbiting each other, but the space between them is causing them to move further apart!

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:

Was just considering a three hour tour, you would make a good science passenger, I already have a movie star , a billionaire and his wife and side kick/ assistant .

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54655 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I packed a lunch.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43903 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Everyone knows the speed of light is 186,000 MPS.

But what is the speed of dark?

Posts: 11854 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Everyone knows the speed of light is 186,000 MPS.

But what is the speed of dark?

That would be 186,282 Miles Per Second, OKCG. Ya' gotta' be precise with these things if'n you're goin' to travel at these speeds.

In order to measure the 'speed of dark', you would have to leave the universe, where there is no gravity, mass, 'space', or energy, 'n' stuff. Since we can't physically leave the universe, we'd have to leave it in terms of a different dimension, ya' see.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Space trip with an ET Bendable.

I think I would go. Maybe. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Cool video

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

As memory serves inertial mass increases as the speed of light is approached. Plus, the energy require to how faster increases. At the speed all the mass in the universe and all the energy are required:

"This understanding of mass and energy makes it a little easier to understand one reason why we can never reach the speed of light. The energy of a particle diverges to infinity as it approaches the speed of light. Since we can never have infinite energy for a particle, the speed of light cannot be reached. Since an object has infinite kinetic energy when it approaches the speed of light, it therefore has infinite mass as well."
https://futurism.com/why-do-ob...s-they-get-faster-2/

Then there's the time dilation. The faster you go, the slower time will appear to an outside observer. Spend a few years at speed and you will return to discover centuries have passed.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
This is a table which gives the ship travel times for various distances (in Light Years) for various percentages of the speed of light. The distance also is the Earth time (1 LY (light year) = 1 year).

It's interesting to see that even for a high speed like 99.9% the speed of light, that it can take as long as 2+ years ship time to travel the distance of 50 LY, which is not a great interstellar distance. If you took this trip, then turned around and came back to earth, you would have aged about 4.5 years, but 100 years would have passed on Earth.

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Everything in space revolves around a central mass. Moons around planets; planets around stars; stars around super massive black holes in the center of galaxies. Why don't galaxies revolve around something?

I think it's a little more like a shotgun blast. With gravity involved.

Posts: 4411 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In three hundred years when there are people living in three different places in our solar system,
will there be a space time clock , so everyone will be synced up as far as time is concerned?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54655 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
The neighborhood, making deliveries?

Jim's illustration is a great representation, though not to scale I suspect. Well, obviously, but I meant circumferential scale.

quote:
In three hundred years when there are people living in three different places in our solar system,
will there be a space time clock , so everyone will be synced up as far as time is concerned?

They would be, if time traveled at the same rate in each location, which I don't believe it would.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12427 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post