SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Space question.- Interesting video added.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Space question.- Interesting video added. Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
I thought at the center of many galaxies was a black hole?

Yes, but that's not what OP is talking about.

Q

Posts: 26418 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ds1962:
Yahweh has it all in control as HE sits on His throne and we are amazed at His handiwork. Cool
Wink

Smile...yep...this (believe what you want)...but this Smile...it's so much BIGGER than us!

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Galaxies go up and down like yo-yos. Ask God.

Yep.

Turtles with yo-yos.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43902 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Galaxies go up and down like yo-yos. Ask God.

Yep.

Turtles with yo-yos.

It's turtles right the way down. Orbiting.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Oh man, c'mon! Because gravity! Y'know! Gravity! It pulls things every which way and stuff like that.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
In the 60s they rotated around tracks. In 1965, Ned Jarrett won the championship in one!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 89 | Location: North Texas | Registered: August 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Everything in space revolves around a central mass. Moons around planets; planets around stars; stars around super massive black holes in the center of galaxies. Why don't galaxies revolve around something?

Google the term "dark flow".

Posts: 45377 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jstex56:
Laniakea: Our home supercluster

Closer. What is holding Laniakea together? What is the great attractor? This is what we have no answer to, at least that I'm aware of. It is slowing dark energy whatever it is.

This brings up another question. What the hell is dark energy? I don't trust this stuff at all. Gravity gets weaker at distance, along with all other forces. Dark energy on the other hand keeps chugging along, at a constant. How is that possible? Seems to defy logic.

I find this stuff fascinating. Will dark energy every slow down/weaken? Do we end in Big Chill, Big Crunch, or Big Rip? Entropy seems like such a lonely way to blink out of existence, I rather go out with a little more fanfare.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20828 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ds1962:
Yahweh has it all in control as HE sits on His throne and we are amazed at His handiwork. Cool
Wink

Indeed!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
My theory is that the galaxies are on parabolic courses, originating from the big bang (or whatever mechanism God used to create the universe). Therefore, they don't revolve around anything, either. They just keep moving outward.

So, what caused the big bang? AIR, hydrogen atoms came together with such force that it caused that big band.

OK. Is it not a rule of physics that in a vacuum a gas will dissipate until all the atoms are equally spaced from each other?

Not to mention that what created all that hydrogen in the first place.

Some force had to have been in play to actually cause it. Some force that could set aside physics.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
Everything in space revolves around a central mass. Moons around planets; planets around stars; stars around super massive black holes in the center of galaxies. Why don't galaxies revolve around something?

This too is what I am asking about. What is working against dark energy? What is the great attractor? I want answers to something there is no answer to yet.

Here's a recent video on it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20828 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Correct answer will be posted in a few billion years.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30690 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
So, what caused the big bang? AIR, hydrogen atoms came together with such force that it caused that big band.

What caused the “Big Bang” is one of the great mysteries, but it created hydrogen, hydrogen didn’t create it.

As for “dark” energy and matter, they are also great mysteries and although there are theories about what they might be, they’re unexplained at present—just like other mysteries in the past, such as what enables the sun to keep shining. (Hint: It’s not a big chunk of burning coal.)

At present all we know is that the observed mass within galaxies, clusters, etc., isn’t sufficient to account for what astronomers see in regards to their motion. The most likely explanation for that is the presence of matter that can’t be seen or otherwise detected directly that adds to the overall gravitational pull. That extra mass is currently referred to as dark matter.

It’s believed that the expansion of the universe is speeding up rather than slowing which is what would be expected if only gravity were at work. Although the evidence for the seeming acceleration of the expansion seems a little unsettled (to me, anyway), if that’s what’s happening it means there must be some force causing it. The latter is termed dark energy.

None of these mysteries, however, is explained by the “argument from ignorance.” The argument from ignorance holds that if someone cannot explain a phenomenon, then any argument is valid. When I was a child, the cause of the craters on the moon was still being debated. Some people thought they were caused by impacts of meteors, asteroids, etc., and some thought they were caused by volcanoes. (We now know they were caused by various impacts.) That uncertainty, however, didn’t mean that they were just as likely to have been caused by moon men testing their nuclear weapons there, or that that theory was just as valid as the impacts or volcanoes theories.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:

This too is what I am asking about. What is working against dark energy? What is the great attractor? I want answers to something there is no answer to yet.

Here's a recent video on it.

Great video.

Just think, the universe as we know it is only our universe because we can observe it. What's beyond? Another universe or just more stuff to observe and include.

Posts: 45377 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The flow could be caused by interacting with other universes. The multi verse theory

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sci...ld-spot-space-could/

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
Oh man, c'mon! Because gravity! Y'know! Gravity! It pulls things every which way and stuff like that.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:

No, hydrogen atoms did not come together and go bang. There were no hydrogen atoms before the big bang. There weren't any until a while after the big bang either. It took a little before atoms of any kind came into being.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
is there a maximum speed limit in space for rocket ships with humans on board?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54655 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post