SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    You who are serious exercise guys please chime in.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You who are serious exercise guys please chime in. Login/Join 
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted
Who makes a simple instant read pulse rate monitor.
I’d just like to be able to see in real time what my pulse rate is during a few exercises. Something like a wrist watch or arm band without a million other features would be preferable. Thanks

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
https://www.apple.com/apple-watch-series-5/health/

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12648 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
I have a Timex Health Touch HRM and like it. Fairly simple to use and easy function change.

You can find it on Amazon with that name in their search. It's posting gibberish when I try to link it though.

Posts: 6403 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I bought a used Apple Watch series 2 off this forum. It tracks my distance and heart rate during exercise. Second hand the price is reasonable. I know it also allows me to be tracked all day long but I like the features so much that I’m upgrading to the new 5 series with EKG. I have apps that monitor my sleep and heart rate while sleeping, I wake up by the alarm on it.

Posts: 4125 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I used to use a Polar watch with a chest band. I like it for its accuracy. But I've found my Apple Watch is usually close enough for my needs, so I generally rely on that, now.

In fact I found my Apple Watch tracked my Polar watch with the chest band w/in ±1 PPM, except when moving my arms vigorously during intense cardio.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
FitBit. I, personally, have the FitBit Ionic. An iWatch is in my future due to its ability to monitor Afib.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Garmin Instinct is what I use. I don't think I'd particularly recommend it due to the fact that when you bend your wrist, you can accidentally press the buttons. Awful design flaw on the part of Garmin. I would've returned it but the return period had passed already.

Posts: 13132 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Looks like some good options. Thanks

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For real polar polar and polar. For close enough anything else.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11009 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
Fit bit Charge 3. Simple, small, fairly inexpensive so when I whack it with my pickleball paddle and kill the display (again) I can afford a replacement.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
I use a Scosche Rhythm. They are upper forearm monitors. Said to be as accurate as chest bands (read: more accurate than wrist ones) but much more convenient to put on/take off.

What they don’t do that I wish they did was have a display on the device itself with a current reading. You either have to check via phone app for a live reading or record the session and check the data later.

Posts: 6374 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post