SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Man in Maine outruns bears
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Man in Maine outruns bears Login/Join 
posted
I am skeptical here about the story, or the bears in Maine are slow. What do Forum members think?

http://wgntv.com/2017/07/08/ma...ning-in-maine-woods/

Posts: 17242 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Bear vs. Human. Not even close.

Black bears are lightning quick. Running from a bear in Northern Minnesota only makes them chase you faster.

But, those bears unaccustomed to humans will run away from you every time. The problem is you never know what is in the bears mind, how humanized they have become, how hungry they are, if they have young ones, or are in mating season.

Remember, you don't have to outrun the bear, you just have to outrun your companions.

Either that or maybe arm yourself in the North Woods.

Also around here, we respect the bear, but run from the Moose. More people die from Moose trampling than bear attacks around here. Just FYI.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Only if they are hibernating.

Poor judgment by the media to advertise this "story"

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5646 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I'm sure in his mind, at that moment, he thought they were only 20 yards away. My bet is more like 50-60 yards...And he probably would have still cut it close if he had to run 20 yards to the cabin.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He may have been running downhill.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Lucky, darn lucky. Glad he is all right.

Also, the distances named in the article weren't measured so I suspect due to fear that the 20 yds to the screened in porch was substantially less and the distance to the charging bears was more than 20 yards. Either that or the bears weren't too serious about eating a skinny Kenyan.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23269 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12337 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Amazing what adrenaline can do.
After a very quick google...
Black bear running speed 25 to 30 MPH
Fastest man ever clocked. Just under 28 MPH. (Usain Bolt.)

Man had half way to house head start over the bear.
Only 20 yards to the house... 60 feet.

The bear would have to run double the speed of the man to catch him.

The man was a professional runner... from Kenya.

I think it entirely possible.

Me, I'd be lunch for the bear.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I knew someone would apply mathematics to this problem. It is not my strong suit by any means.

Posts: 17242 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Why don't the stupid wildlife folks ever suggest what I'd do? Shoot the damn bear. Not once, but as many times as I could. None of these stories ever mention how fast a bear can run when full of lead. Stand tall. Hold your jacket up so you look bigger. Or blast away. The big magnums are 6 shot guns. So that's what Beary gets. I'm too old to fight, too fat to run.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I thought this would be about some guy kicking his wife in the knee.

Posts: 7360 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Them scrawny little Kenyans can run like the wind.

Posts: 20111 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
You would be surprised what you can do with motivation, especially if motivation wants you for dinner.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Man had half way to house head start over the bear.
Only 20 yards to the house... 60 feet.

The bear would have to run double the speed of the man to catch him.
The man was a professional runner... from Kenya.
I think it entirely possible.

Ya... entirely possible.
The short distance and the head start are the key.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24128 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I have read that a black bear back home out ran the Police vehicle and was clocked at better than 35 MPH.

Sows can be bad even if they don't have cubs.

I have always wondered why someone doesn't make a barking dog grenade. A recording of a barking dog with a 5 watt miniature speaker and powered by lithium batteries. Carry a couple of these in your pocket and when encountering a bear, activate, throw one towards the bear and/or drop one on the ground.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
He had a slower friend with him Wink

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was in my late 20s, a black bear chased me, my brother, and a friend out of a small patch of woods at Sioux Narrows Provincial Park in Canada. We had a bit of a head start towards the truck, and she was in thick woods while we were already on the trail.

Although I could run a 6 minute mile in high school, those days were long gone. Nonetheless, I'm certain we all three smashed our personal 100 yard dash records that day.

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zdog16:
He may have been running downhill.

True. Bears are not great downhill pacers. And the math is right.

My horses have usually clued me into a bear before I'm aware of it. For me there are few things as intimidating as a grizzly on the run towards you. I swear you can see shoulder muscle through all the fur.

I've related my dad's joke here before that a bear would have a tough time catching him as it'd be knee deep in shit.

Posts: 3240 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yeah, if the bear is 80 yards away & disinterested, I could 'outrun' him too.

With a matched start, nobody is outrunning a bear.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post