SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Inappropriate behavior at work?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inappropriate behavior at work? Login/Join 
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
This situation could easily turn ugly (uglier) as soon as one of the now-willing participants has any type of axe to grind toward anyone else in the place. It only takes one coworker or husband/boyfriend to raise the red flag. It could very well blow up into a shitstorm wherein EVERYONE else in the office gets smeared in it. You don't want this to be you. Unfortunately, it seems the only way to insulate yourself from this is to be gone before it happens.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5483 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m one of three men who work in an office with 15 OTHER women.

Keeping a hand-written journal with date/time, same, and comment, plus a few audio recordings will bolster your sexual harassment lawsuit, wrongful firing lawsuit, or whatever the fallout may be.

You've got to get your facts straight and write everything down. Hand-written notes are best (other than time-stamped video/audio) because it is a clear linear record, not something you could type up on a word processor in a couple of afternoons.

Getting a few candid pics of the boss molesting an employee would be golden.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Nope and that puts you at great risk. First one to make a claim wins, and being male you are at greater risk. Boss is risking his career. If you have HR get on record as not wanting to be a part of this.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with this. The women have license to behave the way they do because the 60 year old boss is a creep. And it isn't going to change unless there's a lawsuit or a higher-up with more sense and/or scruples catches the offenders in the act and cleans house.

That is a toxic environment. Leave if you can. If you cannot leave, keep your hands clean. If you want to file a suit, keep in mind you may get caught with the flying schrapnel.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This behavior is not normal unless you work in a Gentlemans Club or a sleezy flophouse. Blue collar environments years ago may have had this kind of banter, but today it is WAY over the line. Keep your head down and seek other employment if possible.

Posts: 17251 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Well, I work on a ship with a bunch of other sailors, so....

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30413 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I once worked in a large organization that was 90% women, including all management and HR staff. I overheard lots of stuff said openly that would have gotten me shitcanned if I had said it. I simply avoided any type of non work related talk with anyone. My position made it easy to do that, fortunately. And the $$$ kept me there.
As others have said, document everything.
And I would never again work in a company that was overwhelmingly female in staff and management. The drama and petty fighting and sniping was too much.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16102 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Document events with dates, times and witnesses names, just in case.
I would make a point to let them know you're not interested in the most non-confrontational way possible, in front of witnesses that may be friendly to your situation.
While doing this, look for another job. If/when you leave this job, be sure to report, on the record, why you left.

Posts: 9527 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gentleone
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your feedback. I have much to consider.

Posts: 485 | Location: SE Houston, TX | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Check out the legality of recording someone without their permission. In my State it can be a felony.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Well, I work on a ship with a bunch of other sailors, so....

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a fun place to work, I’d get video to use on a rainy day like what was said before then I’d ignore it. If they are fine with playing grab ass with each other then it’s none of your business.

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
Have to ask the obvious but is there any sexual harassment training? Some people are
really clueless.

If you do nothing you are part of the problem.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
And very recently, F said to me in front of others that she would like to see me naked.

I would have said in a very loud voice so everyone could hear... "INAPRORIATE!"
"DOUBLE STANDARDS!"

That or shown her my dick, one or the other.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Not a matter if but when the SHTF there.

Others have given good advice, depending on legality, record if possible. If not, notes on everything. I would not confide in the non participators of what you are doing, as sure as stink on poo once you say anything to any of them "F" will find out, I personally would trust no one there. For all you know the one you confide to may be having a secret affair with one of the other actors in this soap opera.

Time to update your resume too. Who knows when your boss's boss comes in and cleans house?

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8113 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Better get your resumé updated. The fish is clearly rotting from the head down, and it is only a matter of time before it blows up in your face.

Posts: 27974 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
[I]t’s none of your business.

Thirty years ago I would have agreed, but not now. Even the people who aren’t involved in such inappropriate behaviors in a business setting can be affected by the fallout that is very likely to occur sooner or later. If nothing else, what if the business success itself is affected: How might that impact the individual’s job? If it’s some sort of branch office and a reckoning comes from above, it’s not uncommon for everyone who was present to be swept out on the principle that everyone was guilty of at least not having objected and reported the matter.

And a common defense that gets thrown up if one person gets accused is “Everyone was doing it, not just me.” “Everyone?” “Yes, everyone.”

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I don't know if TX is a one or two party consent state, but if it's two, you probably won't be helping yourself with secret recordings.

I had a female co-worker who was on the way out the door due to a hostile male boss. She was actually afraid of his getting violent with her. When she went to his office to have it all out, she put a recording device on his desk and said, "This is to protect both of us." She then listed her grievances and recorded it all. She got a pretty nice severance package for it.

Posts: 3543 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can sum all this up.

Run.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2364 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Of the 15 women, a handful won’t be wanting to hear those discussions. They may not say anything, maybe quietly taking notes.

Once they’re on the way out for any reason, it could turn sideways. Another factor is what amount of $$ is on the table, type of business.

Instead of just insulating yourself, maybe try to change the climate? There should be someone there to start talking sense with, up the chain.

No I’m not a fuddy-dud, just like low drama at work. OBTW, I’m also ‘post Tailhook’ Navy trained.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
I don't know if TX is a one or two party consent state, but if it's two, you probably won't be helping yourself with secret recordings.

Per: Texas Recording Law | Digital Media Law Project

Texas makes it a crime to intercept or record any "wire, oral, or electronic communication" unless one party to the conversation consents. Texas Penal Code § 16.02 ... Therefore, you may be able to record in-person conversations occurring in a public place, such as a street or a restaurant, without consent.
www.dmlp.org › legal-guide › texas-recording-law
My non-lawyer take on all of this is that if an expectation of privacy exists, you cannot record audio. If the boss is groping an employee in plain view, I'm guessing there is no expectation of privacy in that arena.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post