SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    front windshield auto glass replacement... experiences?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

front windshield auto glass replacement... experiences? Login/Join 
posted
i have had this done a few times in the past but its been awhile.

is there any advantage to paying whatever premium for an OEM glass vs. whatever aftermarket they are likely to provide otherwise?

i have a newer vehicle windshield i need to replace and wonder if i should pay extra to get OEM...

----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
is there any advantage to paying whatever premium for an OEM glass vs. whatever aftermarket they are likely to provide otherwise?

I've had both OEM and aftermarket. In the past, I would have preferred OEM but was satisfied with select aftermarket brands (Asahi, Pinkerton, and such).

Now, I'm not so sure. Latest car requires factory as there is no aftermarket option yet (has to do w/ the cameras and shit). But I'm not happy with factory glass in the new car. Seems fragile as shit. But the SUV will get factory glass if needed - that one is built like a tank.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
I used to use aftermarket glass. Now I tend to stick with oem. My 2017 GMC 2500HD needed a windshield. Talked to my body guy and he strongly suggested oem. Said with the new electronics like lane departure the have had lots of trouble with aftermarket glass. Insurance tells him to use aftermarket but he says he always tries to convince people with safety electronics to oem.

So I guess my opinion is if no fancy electronics then aftermarket should be fine.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I've had 2 windshields replaced in the last 2 years on a Honda Passport. This is a 2 step process with the first actually cutting out and replacing the old glass and secondly, calibrating the radar/camera/stuff. It's expensive and luckily I have $50 deductible on glass. Both times, they used aftermarket but claimed it was manufactured by the OEM folks. ??. No problems regardless.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In a vehicle with rain sensing wipers, it can be hit or miss on replacement. If you have them, talk to the tech before he rips into it. OEM would be the way to go.

Posts: 3595 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Because I drive so much for work I dropped my comprehensive deductible to $50 purposefully for glass replacement. It’s not uncommon for me to replace 3 a year

There are only a few OEM glass manufacturers who also produce the “aftermarket”. Pinkerton being an example that comes to mind easily. My (TX manufactured) 17 Tacoma Pro OEM glass had Pinkerton etched under Toyota. The only difference I could find was Toyota was not etched in the aftermarket. Thickness was the same, clarity was the same. Tint was the same

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I strongly prefer OEM windshields. We live in a rural area and there’s a lot of O&G traffic. There was a period of time where we were going through windshields like popcorn. The aftermarket windshields seemed much more prone to chipping and then spidering than OEM.

I recall a similar thread and Forum member, FN in MT said the state requires OEM replacements for state-owned vehicles (like his highway patrol unit). They feel like the extra bucks is worth spending, I do too.

Posts: 13258 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
If the windshield does not have any special electronics built in, I would not hesitate using aftermarket. If it does then OEM.

Posts: 5302 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
shop says OEM is ~$1K more...

checking to see what insurance company says.

----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I had aftermarket in my Matrix and there was significant distortion at the bottom 6 inches or so. It was frustrating. I’d go OEM.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Wow...
In 51 years and nearly one million miles I have never had a windshield replaced.

What are you guys doing? Replacing them ever time you find a sand pit in one?

The one on my old truck is cracked and needs replacing now however.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I've replaced 3 in my lifetime.

One was smashed by a Safelite guy.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am guilty of letting a star crack slide with a DIY repair job unless it starts to spread. My insurance will cover OEM.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
In my one windshield replacement, both the aftermarket and OEM glass were manufactured by Carlex. So I went with aftermarket and paid out of pocket.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I can live with aftermarket. I'll be replacing a truck windshield soon, and don't think I will want to spend the money on OEM. I certainly prefer OEM.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
In 51 years and nearly one million miles I have never had a windshield replaced.

What are you guys doing? Replacing them ever time you find a sand pit in one?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Your day will come. You will be on a gravel road with a dump truck in front with no room to pass. Stones will be thrown into your grill and windshield.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
I bought a new truck back in 2017.
Cracked the windshield on the way home from the dealer from a stone kicked up by a vehicle in front of me.
Had 40 miles on the odometer.

Frown

Posts: 4128 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Guardian brand was far stronger than my factory Subaru brand.

Posts: 17886 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Timely thread. I had a rock hit my windshield while driving down the hill to Phx.
One freaking car within a mile of me and it kicked up the pebble that chipped the glass.
A quick temperature change seemed to spider it.
(That could just be a red herring)

Going to call insurance tomorrow, we have full glass coverage. Last time (4yrs ago?) a request for OEM wasn’t even questioned.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I’d go with OEM, but I’m picky about distortions, and the aftermarket windshields seem to worse in that respect.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post