SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Great video of Dragon Lady and WWII Aircraft
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Great video of Dragon Lady and WWII Aircraft Login/Join 
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted
Was lucky enough to be stationed at RAF Mildenhall years ago.
Worked ground support during Airfete 1985 & 86.
Amazing number of WWII and current aircraft from U.S., Britain, France, Germany, Italy and France.
Nothing better than an airshow in England with a large variety of historical military aircraft from many countries.

I recall standing under the Vulcan bomber, looking up at the wing in awe.
The Vulcan is one of my favorite aircraft to this day.

Never understood the logic of the British Lightening.
Why would you stack engines like an over/under shotgun.
Learned that those engines make the steel cable leading to the drag chute dang hot.
During one of the air shows I was riding around in the back of a pickup collecting drag chutes.
Grabbed a hold of the cable on a chute from a Lightening and it left quite an impression.

Stumbled across these YouTube videos by bobsurgranny this evening and got a bit nostalgic.
He has some amazing aircraft videos.

Had the opportunity to see the U2 take off and land a few times.
Here is one of bobsurgranny’s videos showing the take off and landing procedure.

Link to his other videos.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I had to google what all the stuff on the U-2 was for. It's amazing how in can be physically configured differently depending on the mission.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18024 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
The U2 Pilot in the Chase Car is critical for landing.
Providing direction and calling out distance above ground.
Not easy landing with those long wings and bicycle wheels.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
I always thought that the chase car was so the pilot could just climb out, toss the keys to the parking attendant, and get a quick ride to the mess/bathroom (whichever was most critical).

Posts: 6480 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:

Last time I was in Qatar (2012), they had the occasional U-2 land there. I never saw one personally, but I did see the Pontiac GTOs (not the classic muscle cars, but the 2006 or so model year versions) they used as chase vehicles.

I saw a U-2 do a fly-over at the Air Force Academy (where I work) a year or so ago. It wasn't very fast, but that sucker can CLIMB!

When I worked duty shifts at the USSTRATCOM Command Center, I worked with a bird Colonel who had flown U-2s. That guy was perhaps the coolest O-6 I ever worked for. In one case, they lost an aircraft due to a control surface failure; the pilot ejected safely. This same problem happened to him. He had to maintain about 1-200 lbs of pressure on the stick (the aircraft wanted to dive; he had to pull the stick back to prevent this) to maintain his landing approach, but he saved the aircraft. From this, they were able to identify the failure and retro-fit the entire fleet so it wouldn't happen again. This was really an amazing feat of strength, airmanship, and outright balls, especially considering how hard it is to land the aircraft when nothing was going wrong.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21847 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:

Never understood the logic of the British Lightening.
Why would you stack engines like an over/under shotgun.

The Lightning was a second-generation fighter. Back then, they really didn't know what worked and what did not. I suppose some engineer figured over/under was better than side by side (maybe it made the airframe slimmer, reducing cross section and drag?). Also, the Brits did things differently. On the Lightning, they also placed drop tanks ABOVE the wing, when pretty much everybody else puts them under.

According to Wiki,
quote:
The vertically stacked and longitudinally staggered engines were the solution devised by Petter to meet the conflicting requirements of minimising frontal area, providing undisturbed engine airflow across a wide speed range, and packaging two engines to provide sufficient thrust to meet performance goals. The unusual over/under configuration allowed for the thrust of two engines, with the drag equivalent to only 1.5 engines mounted side-by-side, a reduction in drag of 25% over more conventional twin-engine installations.[47] The engines were fed by a single nose inlet (with inlet cone), with the flow split vertically aft of the cockpit, and the nozzles tightly stacked, effectively tucking one engine behind the cockpit. The result was a low frontal area, an efficient inlet, and excellent single-engine handling with no problems of asymmetrical thrust. Because the engines were close together, an uncontained failure of one engine was likely to damage the other. If desired, an engine could be shut down in flight and the remaining engine run at a more efficient power setting which increased range or endurance;[48][49] although this was rarely done operationally because there would be no hydraulic power if the remaining engine failed .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21847 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post