SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My mom passed and it is ok. Need advise on my dad.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My mom passed and it is ok. Need advise on my dad. Login/Join 
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted
After 53 years, and the last 8 being a full time care taker for my mom, my dad is having a hard time.
How do I best support him. We have a good relationship but he has no friends or community here in Virginia. I will try to slowly get him involved with the church and mens groups and maybe he will take up fishing.
Mostly I am just worried but I know he must travel this path.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3588 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is a cat or dog feasible? It would give him something to care for, help ease loneliness and if a dog, get him out of the house.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
I was also going to ask about a dog

Posts: 10201 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe a local Senior Center?
The one here has lunches and activities for seniors.

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
a dog would be good.

Also set up a weekly date with him to have a beer or steak or whatever just so he gets some human interaction.

Take him places where he meets people around his age so maybe he can start being active with them.

your idea of church, men's group are both very good ideas. Heck maybe just be his fishing buddy.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss.
Definitely try to get him involved in church, fishing, walking etc..

It has been double digit years now but my grandmother passed and it really affected my grandfather.

Me and my dad tried to go hang out with him every evening but he was still alone all day.

It eventually took its toll and I believe that is part of the reason he developed dementia.

I am heading home the latter part of this week.
I lived/worked in central VA for 16 years, and I gathered a few documents from my years working patrol.

They dealt with everything from community outreach, employment, medical etc..

I will see if they still have them. The last few months I have done a major clean out of my past life.

Now this was before COVID-19, but there were a couple of meetup groups that were for widows. One was for mixed couples and then some for men only and women only.

They hiked, fished, went out to eat, etc..

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
My condolences on the loss of your mom, David.

As for your dad, is he a veteran? Perhaps the American Legion, or VFW can help him with some friendly chat. What are his hobbies? Maybe joining a group of like minded people, where he can mentor younger enthusiasts (like ham radio, model building, etc.). He might also want to try new things. Another posters suggestions about a senior center are also good.

Good luck and hope all is as well as can be there.

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4929 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My condolences on the passing of your mom. Some here have asked about your dad's interests or hobbies, but after 8 years of being a caretaker I suspect he just doesn't have any (execpt fishing?). A number of questions occur to me: how old is he? (I'm guesssing late 70s or early 80s based on 53 years married); how physically able is he?; what did he do before his wife became a health issue?; how able are you to be involved in his life?; are there others who can share the load?

Church and men's groups are a good idea, but he may not want to do that. I wish you much luck in finding a solution for him.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the advise. I have a few projects at the house I will invite him over to help me with. He is already talking about wanting to find a new purpose so I think that is a good thing.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3588 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non Nobis Solum
posted Hide Post
Around here it seems the Rotary, the Moose lodge, the VFW and the local rec department have a ton of senior focused things. I’m near Charlottesville but you should be able to find stuff in your area

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 3613 | Location: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: May 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
Depending on his physical condition, getting him involved in some activity might help. I just returned from a Pickleball tournament that had just under a thousand players...whose ages ran from 9 to 91. Many of us retired seniors (I'm 74) play 4-7 days a week and the USAPA.Org website lists over 5k places to play around the country. Many of these are in church properties and community rec centers. Pickleball is a very social and low impact (unless you're really competitive) sport. Begining players can learn the game and be playing in less than 2 hours. It's also addictive! If you'd like help finding a place/group close to your dad check out the web site below or let me know and I can contact one of the USA Pickleball ambassadors in his area.

https://www.places2play.org/state/virginia

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post