SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is Cloudfront and why is it blocking access to my homepage?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is Cloudfront and why is it blocking access to my homepage? Login/Join 
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted
Windows did their monthly (large) update yesterday, it was one of those updates that you have to restart the pc and that went fine. Suddenly, about halfway through the day I tried to return to my homepage after going to a site on the internet and a page appeared saying there is a 403 error and that access to that page (Cox) is blocked. Everything else is working as it should, such as going into Favorites and surfing to a website, but it just keeps showing me the error message when I try to return to my homepage. What the heck is going on and does anyone have a suggestion on how to correct it?

Posts: 12185 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My only apparent accomplishment in life is being banned from an ancient forum
posted Hide Post
Cloudfront is a content delivery network that is part of Amazon Web Services. A CDN is designed to distribute and locate static web content (images, html pages, javascript code, etc) close to end users. Using a CDN makes your web site faster and cheaper to run, especially at large scale.

The error you're getting is because somebody at the provider using Cloudfront screwed the pooch when configuring something or doing an update.

Posts: 166 | Location: Washington State | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Thanks. So I’m guessing that this is something that will get sorted out as soon as someone realizes they shouldn’t have pressed that red button.

Posts: 12185 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
There are other reasons Cloudflare may be blocking a site including delay in paying one's bill (e.g. to AWS), or user complaint about site content or spam origination. Yes, it usually goes away after things get sorted out.

Posts: 6516 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post