SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Missouri lawmaker proposes bill that would require residents to own an AR-15 rifle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Missouri lawmaker proposes bill that would require residents to own an AR-15 rifle Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted
Well God bless Missouri.

Missouri lawmaker proposes bill that would require residents to own an AR-15 rifle
Posted: 2:15 PM, Mar 16, 2019 Updated: 5:17 PM, Mar 16, 2019
By: Kelsie Blazier

MISSOURI — A proposed bill introduced by Missouri Representative Andrew McDaniel would require all Missouri state residents to own an AR-15 rifle.

House Bill 1108, or the McDaniel Militia Act, proposes that every resident of the state of Missouri "shall own at least one AR-15 rifle."

A resident, the language in the proposed bill states, is someone who is "18 years of age or older and under 35 years of age" who is not prohibited by law from possessing a firearm.

"Any person who qualifies as a resident on August 28, 2019, and who does not own an AR-15 shall have one year to purchase an AR-15. Any resident qualifies as a resident after August 28, 2019, and does not own an AR-15 shall purchase an AR-15 no later than one year after qualifying as a resident," language in the bill states.

The proposed bill does not state if there will be any repercussions for residents who do not purchase an AR-15.

https://www.abc15.com/national...o-own-an-ar-15-rifle

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Addendum: "If you do not own an AR-15 rifle, one shall be issued to you."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
The proposed bill does not state if there will be any repercussions for residents who do not purchase an AR-15.

The bill is probably just symbolic, a form of protest, most likely has no penalty for non-compliance and probably won't even get out of that chamber. But let's say it did force people. That's not right.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:

The bill is probably just symbolic, a form of protest, most likely has no penalty for non-compliance and probably won't even get out of that chamber. But let's say it did force people. That's not right.

Hey, they did it with Obsmacare!

But seriously, I agree. It's symbolic. The government isn't supposed to force people to buy anything.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not right? Think about it. The government confiscates your money frequently thru taxation. It can and has compelled military service. Why can't it require the militia provide its own arms? If they are provided thru taxation, it's the same thing.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I recall (it’s been a while now) the original intent was that it was the citizens DUTY to be a part of the local militia, to drill with them regularly and to provide ones own weapon and ammunition.

Might be a good step in that direction.

Might also have a ripple effect on local crime....

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would be OK with this if it allowed college deferment and conscientious objector status.

Also change the minimum age from 18 to 21 and a minimum income threshold. If you are below the poverty rate you are exempt.

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife is from KC but her roots are in southern MO. I love to visit MO, the nicest people on the planet live there. Now it looks like they're going to be nicerBig Grin

Posts: 7551 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
So restrictions on personal liberty are bad when it’s insurance but good when it’s a gun?

Mmmkay.... hard pass for me. Even as a symbolic gesture it’s asinine. I have zero interest in the government forcing people to purchase anything and two wrongs don’t make one right.

Posts: 6364 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
So restrictions on personal liberty are bad when it’s insurance but good when it’s a gun?

Mmmkay.... hard pass for me. Even as a symbolic gesture it’s asinine. I have zero interest in the government forcing people to purchase anything and two wrongs don’t make one right.

I agree. I figure this is simply some kind of political statement, meant to curry favor with some specific group, or just to get his name in the paper.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:

Yeah... well, OK.
But you're just a Fun Ruin-er! Throwing a wet blanket and all that.

Just for the record: I'm already in compliance.
Well, except for that upper age limit. C'mon man, many of the best shooters I know are over 35!
Big Grin

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24116 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Addendum: "If you do not own an AR-15 rifle, one shall be issued to you."

Addendum II: "Each citizen shall be eligible for a Tax Credit for a qualifying purchase of an AR-15 Rifle" Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8886 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:

Oh relax. There isn't even a penalty for non-compliance. No one's liberty is being trampled on. It's for the most part just a statement in any case.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Obviously this is a bad bill, but I believe that’s the point. I think AR ownership is great! However, it’s wrong of me to compel others to do what I like in a free society.

And that’s what these liberal clowns needs to understand. You want to give your money to able bodied people who simply don’t want to work? Cool, have at it, but don’t compel me to.

I’d introduce this bill just for the amusement of watching the lefties get all butt hurt and try to argue against this without being total hypocrites Big Grin

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Relax, guys. It's a political statement in response to Democrats pushing bills involving mandates, such as forcing people to purchase insurance. The drafter of the bill even says as much.

"Missouri lawmaker: Bill requiring AR-15s not meant to pass"

From http://www.startribune.com/mis...t-to-pass/507220362/

quote:
A Missouri lawmaker who's introduced measures that would force adults to own handguns and young adults to own AR-15 semi-automatic rifles said he's trying to make the point that mandates are bad and doesn't actually want to require gun ownership. "The other side of the aisle loves mandates, so I'm trying to get them to make an argument against mandates," Republican state Rep. Andrew McDaniel, of the rural Bootheel community of Deering, said in a telephone interview.

"I would never try to mandate anyone do anything against their will," he added.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Everybody. PLEASE...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Only one?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Addendum 2
Those refusing to purchase and train with said weapon must move from state to NY, IL, CA, NJ, or MD within 3 months after refusal.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bad idea, even if proposed in jest. The government as no reason or right to compel anyone to purchase anything.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gutpile Charlie:
Bad idea, even if proposed in jest. The government as no reason or right to compel anyone to purchase anything.

That's precisely the reason why this lawmaker proposed this bill.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)