SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you’re coming down to Buenos Aires, Argentina or know someone who is…
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you’re coming down to Buenos Aires, Argentina or know someone who is… Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
These speakers are 12 feet?

12" drivers not 12 feet.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
These speakers are 12 feet?

Wink

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I don't think 12' means what you think it does. Wink

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Sometimes, some things, get fucked up in translation. Roll Eyes

I´m all about metrics...

Cool

0-0

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
Big Grin

I´m all about metrics...

Cool

0-0
So, about 365 centimeters?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
Big Grin

I´m all about metrics...

Cool

0-0
So, about 365 centimeters?

A year?

0-0

Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
We will be flying into Buenos Aires next February and would be glad to help although I'm not sure what it is that you're looking for. If that time frame works email me and let's see if we can work it out.
Eddie
eddiefort at gmail dot com

Sent you an email a few days ago, wonder if you received it as i am waging a psy war with my iPhone. It does what it pleases and not what i request from it. Mad

0-0

Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
Are you talking about the pleated strips in the Heil?

Yes, those strips are the voodoo that makes the magnets sing Eek

The Heils are the heavy magnetic blocks separated by the stripes that sit on top of the drivers.
One of my Heils is cracked and the other is OK AFAIK, but the strips are at least 45 YO and showing their age (a bit warped).

I’m hoping the Xovers can somehow be remanufactured or replaced.
You could write a few books with all the stuff that has been said about these speakers in most relevant audio boards.

Didn’t know what a Bucket List Project was until I joined the Board and then I realized I already had mine.

0-0

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 0-0,

Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I have the Concept One speakers that are the same as the ESS.
Years back I went to rebuild mine. I replaced the passive radiators, had the speakers re-coned but ended up buying some new speakers that are 6 ohm. I swapped them back and forth with the originals and ended up leaving the originals in.
The Company that was selling the replacement Heil diaphragms was going out of business, I was able to get two new ones.
At the time I did not think I would get the heil diaphragms so I investigated how to replace them or repair them.
I read several stories were people rebuilt the diaphragms using Mylar strips folded the same way as the originals. It did not seem to mater what type of Mylar was used. I remember people stating that they used the Mylar from potato chip bags and they worked fine.

I will have to look around and see if I kept the old diaphragms ( I rarely throw stuff like that out) .

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Had never heard of the Concept One, another close relative. Interesting.

Short of being able to do anything practical about it, have been reading Audio related boards all over the place trying to figure out a way to conceive my own rebuild cutting a few corners, 4th World style. Plenty of digital ink on this particular subject. Too many years to count. Even managed to contact a french guy from Audiokarma.

The sad truth is that the government has imposed insane restrictions on imports and has basically reduced them to almost nothing, for us locals. This ignorance of basic trade practices hurts us every day.
Parts are a thing of the past. Inflation makes broken things, even if in stock and while it lasts, almost irreplaceable /unaffordable.

Have divided my project in parts:

1. Cabinets, can be restored locally, decent shape
2. Refoaming, pasive discs replacement, been told it can be done locally at great expense.
3. Xovers, been quoted $1500 at the start of the conversation… knowing well the parts are unobtainable locally and having purchased an original, at the ESS factory, for $150. The local experts just try to do deep diving into your pockets. No warranty that you get a product accordingly to its price. Chinese junk, maybe?
One of mine is in good shape but is as old as the unit, bought in 78. The other fell apart and in pieces by its own weight. Parts were soldered but glued together to a cardboard, hanging from it.
It gas been “fixed” but not tested.
4. Heils. The diaphragms are exclusive and basically one source dependant. Both Heils (encased magnets ?) are fine, one is cracked but i might have superglued it so long i don’t remember.

That is mostly it.
One might say why bother given all the difficulties, but i have held on to them through such incredible ups and downs, there must be a superior reason. Wish i can bring these back to their original spendor, already gone when i found them.

0-0

Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Up!

Keeping the thread visible, you never know.
Since the nice weather is here, i hope my chances will improve.

Havet heard if Antártica tours are back, the locked down the Continent on our side for tourists.

(Dear iPhone, I certainly didn’t type those typos. Fuck off and let me do my own mistakes. FUVM)

If you are a Super Model and come visit incognito, please do not promote paparazzi bashing!

MARGOT ROBBIE, CARA DELEVINGNE
Incident With Photog In Argentina ...

0-0

The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I think the Sigforum super model crowd is a bit small… Big Grin

Posts: 5736 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
I think the Sigforum super model crowd is a bit small… Big Grin

You sure you want to mess with my fantasies, Mister?

Wink

0-0

Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Bump for luck and steady visibility.

keeping my fingers crossed.

0-0

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Nick

Any takers on this?

Was wondering if it might be simpler to ship you some components and just wait it out...not sure

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Hi Greg,

Government is going apeshit crazy with us locals spending dollars abroad.
As of today, there are SIXTEEN different types of dollar rates for trade and tourism - us chickens going abroad and spending hard cash, imports, streaming, app stores, etc. -. It is insane.

As with your mailed Clusterfuck patch gift, they will tax (some senseless tax package) us close to 100% of the MRSP value and leave us exposed to an IRS audit. Ended up paying more than u did.

If goods made it safely and in time, i wouldn’t mind paying twice for them. But it’s not the case.

This thread is sort of a desperate attempt to get things done. Wouldn’t ask if there was any risk involved.

I know SF will come through.

0-0

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
It's impossible that you're the only one in Argentina with this problem and I would think this is a well known problem.

People are enterprising in such situations. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a network of people who work for American companies in Argentina who regularly have to go to the US for business meetings, trainings, conferences, etc. My company had international operations and some of those people regularly go to the U.S. I'm thinking some of those people would ferry legal stuff for a fee.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Used to work for an American company, Sempra Utilities, up till 2000. Had a small network of flight crews, traveling friends and contacts too.
The 2001 economic crisis broke my back financially as IT support is one of the first third party expenses to get cut or dismissed. Used to have a full agenda working the financial district. Never recovered.

I currently live in an international hotel area. Deserted during the lockdown. Now slowly coming back to life and displaying some activity.
The financial district is a ghost town. Pandemic and remote work took care of this.

Our hard currency restrictions make international travel a lot more difficult, coupled with the insanity of our inflation and taxes it leave no wiggle room for extras while bringing stuff home.
Flight crews get special attention but surprisingly those caught have been taking valuables (currency, gold, watches and art) abroad.

More important, I used to visit the States every year until 2003. Made the last three trips dimeless. Back then, i was either more computer or gun oriented. The speaker rebuild a second thought.

0-0

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Do you have any contacts in Nicaragua? I have an engineer that commutes between Louisville and there. I could ship speakers to her location if you have a path from there.

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Am as familiar with Nicaragua as with Mongolia.

Big Grin

To be effective, the shortest path is the best.

0-0