SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hypothetical-You own a gun store
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hypothetical-You own a gun store Login/Join 
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
12 gauge Remington express shot gun
Glock 19
Ruger 10/22
Ruger gp100
Savage 243 rifle
AR 15

glock mags
9mm ammo
gun cases
hearing and eye protection

Posts: 7803 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Good example of a CA gun store, might have some useful info.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I have seen a FFL in a ban State, sell for over 40 years and did quite well money wise. He also traveled only in his home State to many gun shows and did extremely well. Dont be affraid to rent a few tables at your local show. Bring some interesting arms, maybe a few older, good condition military, early American Sporting, maybe a target gun or 4, and, have your computer @ the ready, in your shop, not accessed by your Customers, and your active Gunbroker account up so you can buy and sell. Our internet is a great resource for purchase and sales. Be good to your Customers.

Posts: 17903 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Maybe let the season dictate what you stock also. Hunting season requires what ? Spring is turkey, Summer is the range and busting clays. Just something to think about.

Posts: 17903 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
Are we going to flirt, or get down to it?

No nefarious intentions. I am very good friends with the owner of my local LGS. Sales have been off, so we talk about what may be hot or better selling items. As for ban state, yes, we are in a ban state. That's it. So no regular ARs etc.

Posts: 102 | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
Since I do not live in a state that infringes on my bill of rights, I'm not sure what sells for me will sell for you. Because the crazies are not allowed control in my state, we can sell items people want, not what we have. So ar15s, any brand, and shotguns. Then glocks. However, good mil surplus is bought, even by collectors. I know one store that really only DOES collection items, and they have the only enfields I've seen. Different years, some are 303, a few are 7/62, even have a 308, though I think thats a barrel conversion.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:
Since I do not live in a state that infringes on my bill of rights, I'm not sure what sells for me will sell for you. Because the crazies are not allowed control in my state, we can sell items people want, not what we have. So ar15s, any brand, and shotguns. Then glocks. However, good mil surplus is bought, even by collectors. I know one store that really only DOES collection items, and they have the only enfields I've seen. Different years, some are 303, a few are 7/62, even have a 308, though I think thats a barrel conversion.

you talking about BDL LTD?

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
I don't think most gun stores can cherry pick which brands they can carry. There are minimum commitments and buy ins to carry a brand. If you can't swing a distribution agreement with a manufacturer, then you'll likely have to get your wares from a distributor, and getting the good stuff from them depends on what they carry, and how much you can sell--they'll funnel the most desirable stuff to their most successful retailers to keep them happy.

this,

distributors will cherry pick which retailers they sell to,

if you are selling nothing but Taurus, and call wanting a high demand item (like a SIG 365) you may get one,, and it may be a long wait,,

as mentioned you will have to cater to the crowd,

not the SIGforum crowd, the unwashed masses crowd,

you need to have the good/better/best approach to almost everything you sell,

think having only nightforce scopes cause they are the best, or Ed Brown or Nighthawk 1911's,,,

or all Kimber rifles?

you will be out of business quickly

you will need some of each, (good/better/best) and some backstock on each of the big sellers, or more commonly asked for stuff (Glock 19's etc)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
No nefarious intentions. I am very good friends with the owner of my local LGS. Sales have been off, so we talk about what may be hot or better selling items. As for ban state, yes, we are in a ban state. That's it. So no regular ARs etc.

Make sure your friend is buying in on program guns so that he can cost average and be competitive. Carry a loss leader on ammo to get bodies in the door, 9mm for 25 cents more per box than you paid, etc. Don't rest on your laurels and wait for the unwashed masses to come in to the shop. Advertise, sponsor shoots, get involved in the local shooting community. Call your sales rep at the distributor level often to stay on his radar to get the allocated guns. Always remember that the sun doesn't rise and set on how many 365s/19xs/Ruger PC carbines/ whatever the gun du jour is that you sell. Those things are nice, but they won't pay your mortgage.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
your friend is done for if he has to poll people all over the nation as to what to sell

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54672 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post