SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Northern Lights - viewing
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Northern Lights - viewing Login/Join 
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Saw some nice displays in north central MN during deer season a few yrs ago.
One morning mostly green, one morning mostly red.
Got into the stand a little late those days.

Very, very cool when you see them for the first time...even better when you see them the second time! Big Grin

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGGUY (THE 1ST):
I have seen then twice in my 56 years here on earth. Both times were here in New Hampshire, over 25 years ago. Breath taking to say the least! Good luck on your bucket list.

I was going to say, I saw a few. Eat displays of them in new hanpsnire when I was working in Peterborough back in 2000.

They were different than the ones here in Alaska though. The ones in NH were sort of like a light being flicked on and off, not the greens and reds you see in the sky here.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
Come up to Fairbanks, AK. One of the best spots in the world, consistently, for aurora viewing. You can even check out the aurora forecast at:

Aurora Forecast

Posts: 1732 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
... could possibly do so in northern Illinois.

Just an fyi, northern Illinois is not too good. Of course, you have Chicago on the east side of the state, but as you go west you get to Rockford, the second largest city. Those two really throw up a lot of light pollution. You really need to get up a ways into Wisconsin to get decent dark skies. The best Northern Lights display I experienced was outside of Wautoma, Wisconsin which is about 3 hours north of Rockford.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6417 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post