SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Professions that, as a whole, can never take a day off
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Professions that, as a whole, can never take a day off Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
Military
Law enforcement
Fire fighter/EMS/Medic/Paramedic
Nursing, doctoring

Can you imagine the country with no defense for a day? A state without cops/state troopers, a city without fire fighters, emergency medical service, nurses and doctors for a day?

Are any other professions that are truly needed 24/7/365?


Q






 
Posts: 31438 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
Wife


Retired Texas Lawman
 
Posts: 1498 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
An employee of or a contractor for a utility company.
 
Posts: 5938 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus Dei:
An employee of or a contractor for a utility company.
Yep . I worked 40 yrs in the electric utility business . Spent many holidays , birthdays out in the field. Helluva experience though .
 
Posts: 5098 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking all leadership roles in any of the 24x7x365 industries you've mentioned. So as you mentioned, healthcare and law enforcement would be good examples, but also airlines/trains, tech companies on global production models/scales (Apple for example), telecom, utilities like gas, electric, water, sewer. I think in our modern world, and with modern tech and high-pace activity that there are many that work seven days a week.

I'm not just referring to checking your phone a lot, or answering a call when something is broken. I mean really scheduling and sitting down for an hour or more in the day. I don't believe that I am unusual or exceptional, but I spent a few hours in the early evening last night aligning my week, looking for conflicts and issues that I need to get on early, and getting my thoughts and notes together for a few of the important meetings. Also catching up on emails that I had to let sit due to lack of time while scrambling through last weeks workload. Once the week gets going, there's no opportunity to really notice that scheduled meeting that is missing a key person, or follow up item/information.

What I've come to realize is if I allow my work to fill in the cracks of time that I have in my life, my stress is lower because my work gets more under control. Conversely, if I am a bit burned out in the middle of the week and have a 30 minute window between meetings or work activities, I might take the time to check the news or call my brother. So I think to some small degree, it balances.
 
Posts: 11855 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
9-1-1 Dispatchers. Somebody's gotta answer that phone call for help.
 
Posts: 551 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
Air traffic controllers.



"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall
 
Posts: 1964 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Dairy farmers..


------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina
 
Posts: 7375 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Dairy farmers..



grandparents did this,

milk at or before sun up, and at sundown, every day



https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/
 
Posts: 11556 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
IT for network/computer systems that need to run 24/7
 
Posts: 35511 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
The self employed.
 
Posts: 8139 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
Anyone in the supply chains for food, water, energy, or communications and utilities or emergency/inpatient utilities needs to have their stuff running 24/7/365.


*****************************
"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown
 
Posts: 2537 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Dairy farmers..


Horse Farm- they eat every day, have to be led out to paddocks, taken in at night, stalls cleaned, fed, medical, and then you have to take care of the farm itself.

any Farmer for that matter, there's always something that has to be done...
 
Posts: 28567 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Here's the truth that many of those who believe that some occupations are more important don't understand.

If an occupation was unimportant or unneeded, it wouldn't exist. We live in a large ant colony where every single job serves a purpose, and without it society would not exist was we know it.

Think of all of the jobs that must exist in order for another to do their job. Probably hundreds when you think about it, and likely few that take many days off.


________________________



www.zykansafe.com
 
Posts: 16381 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
IT for network/computer systems that need to run 24/7


This was my first thought [I work in IT], but when I read the title, my mind didn't immediately jump to emergency services.




The Enemy's gate is down.
 
Posts: 18857 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Judges. LEO need access to a judge 24/7 for warrants. They also have to set bail with conditions of release or deny bail.


__________________________

 
Posts: 13036 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I can tell you for sure, from personal experience, that air conditioning technicians certainly do take days off.

My wife and I spent many hours this past weekend trying to contact someone, anyone, who would respond to an HVAC problem. No joy.



הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
 
Posts: 33801 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can tell you for sure, from personal experience, that air conditioning technicians certainly do take days off.

My wife and I spent many hours this past weekend trying to contact someone, anyone, who would respond to an HVAC problem. No joy.



Or they were all that busy.

I run into this all of the time with customers. For some reason they believe I'm hanging out around the office just waiting for them to call so I can just immediately take care of their needs.

The reality is that outside of emergency service, I'm anywhere from several days to several weeks out on work.


________________________



www.zykansafe.com
 
Posts: 16381 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
I can tell you for sure, from personal experience, that air conditioning technicians certainly do take days off.

My wife and I spent many hours this past weekend trying to contact someone, anyone, who would respond to an HVAC problem. No joy.
Or they were all that busy.
No calls were returned. Not one. Many voicemail greetings said something like "Please call back during our normal hours, Monday through Friday, ..."

No text messages received a response. Not one.

No website "Contact Us" forms received a response. Not one.

Zero. Zilch. Nada. Bupkis.



הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
 
Posts: 33801 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I don’t mean to derail the thread, but a couple of years ago our water heater went out in the summer. All of the local businesses said that their installers don’t work after 1pm. It’s too hot for them. Really? I used to work my ass off in the burning hot summer for years, and not once did my employer say, take the afternoon off, it’s just too hot to work.


No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain
 
Posts: 3952 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Professions that, as a whole, can never take a day off

© SIGforum 2026