SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for our woodworkers or anybody knowledgeable about yew trees
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for our woodworkers or anybody knowledgeable about yew trees Login/Join 
Six Days on the Road
Picture of vandrv
posted
I had some way overgrown yews in my yard that I began cutting down. I was throwing it on my burn pile, but wondered if it was useful for anything. Did a bit of research and discovered it is desirable for things like musical instruments and bending for archery bows. I'm wondering if anybody here has any ideas as to what I might do to give it some purpose other than firewood? I have no idea as to how to sell it or give it away. There are some fairly substantial size pieces.

Posts: 759 | Location: The Boulevard of Broken Dreams | Registered: June 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Make Taxol?

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
I was going to say bows as well.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Six Days on the Road
Picture of vandrv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Butch 2340:
I was going to say bows as well.

Well, I really wasn't thinkinking about making anything with it, I was just wondering if there might be a way to find someone interested in having it.

Posts: 759 | Location: The Boulevard of Broken Dreams | Registered: June 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
That stuff is hard as hell. I had one in my front lawn that my neighbor helped me cut down and he had to keep stopping to re-sharpen his chainsaw blade because it kept dulling it so quickly.

It’s my understanding that biologically it’s considered a softwood but it’s a very very hard softwood, very heavy and dense.

It was used in the Medieval era for longbows because of its strength and flexibility. I heard one person described it as natural laminated wood.

Not sure if it’s used for any sort of woodworking nowadays?

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
Depending on the size it might be useful to the woodturning world. A quick Google search might yield some local clubs that could make bowls or hollow forms out of it.

Posts: 3852 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Six Days on the Road
Picture of vandrv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig229-SAS:
Depending on the size it might be useful to the woodturning world. A quick Google search might yield some local clubs that could make bowls or hollow forms out of it.

Probably the largest pieces are about five inches in diameter so any bowls would have to be small.
Actually, you were one of my first thoughts. I wondered if it would make decent pepper mills. A lot of it has a pretty nice red color.

Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
Do a search for nearby bowyers who specialize in longbows who might like some good stock.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redleg06:
Do a search for nearby bowyers who specialize in longbows who might like some good stock.

The American Longbow Society is best to advise you where you might offload it - it is worth money to a bowyer who will surely hoover it up pretty smartly.

https://www.facebook.com/traditionalarcherysociety/

Here in UK, home of the longbow, a yew wood bow fetches a huge premium

Posts: 11329 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post