SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Marathon Watch questions.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marathon Watch questions. Login/Join 
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I have this one and love it. I bought it here on Sig forum and a couple of weeks later the bezel popped off. I sent it to Marathon and had a great experience with there CS, they’re not fast, but good communication and the returned product has been flawless.

https://www.marathonwatch.com/...riant=29472829931562

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3722 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I have a TSAR from 07 contract with the US Govt and Radioactive logo on the face.

It has the rubber band that still smells sweet.

Love it,

HK Ag

Posts: 3533 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
look on chrono 24 The CSAR is available for under 2k marathon lists them $$$$ more. I purchased one from the seller flawless transaction. Get the csar if you can you’ll have a watch for life.
Even windy city can’t beat their price

Posts: 436 | Location: rocky river ohio | Registered: February 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
My purchase of a Marathon watch just went out the window....actually 6 windows. Discovered three of the six on the east side of the house have fogged and need to be replaced. They are "Builder Grade" and are 20 years old. We replaced the fogged west side windows about 5 years ago with good quality windows, two of which were those 6 foot tall windows with the big curved arch on top.

I have 3 savings accounts, one of which is my smallest "Fun Money" (watches, guns, ammo). This time I'm using the fun money to pay for the windows to keep as much (quickly available) money available to provide for my brides immediate needs in the event of my sudden demise. That way she can leave the IRA alone and let it continue to grow.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7275 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
I have a TSAR from 07 contract with the US Govt and Radioactive logo on the face.

It has the rubber band that still smells sweet.

Love it,

HK Ag

That smell is delightful.

Posts: 7650 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Someone mentioned Chrono24. I’m looking at a CSAR on the Marathon website that runs for $5k, the same watch (new, with Valjoux movement, and from 2020) is $2k on Chrono. What am I missing here? Is that extra $3k really just Marathon mark up?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ronin1069,

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12404 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
I had mine (GSAR) serviced about 4 years ago because I stripped the crown. I beat the hell out of the GSAR, it was my every day watch for years. Between police stuff, diving, and an active life, the Marathons are holding up! Kinda on the expensive side for the service, but well worth it. I have the GSAR and the CSAR. Love the hell out of them. As far as accuracy, its a few seconds a month (+/-) 7 or so.

quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Modern Day Savage,
I've had my original SAR serviced several times since buying it in late 2001. Last cost was $250.
The ETA movement has been good within a couple seconds per day.

Thanks for the info and taking the time to post those photos of your Marathons. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
My JDD averages -1 second per day, according to my watchtracker app.

When I wear it consistently, I can usually keep it regulated by position when I take it off for bed.

Wow, it sounds like you guys are getting a better range in accuracy than I was expecting from your Marathon autos. While it is about double what I'm paying for my Luminox quartz service, I'd be willing to go into the $250-$300 service range, as long it isn't required too frequently.

How often should Marathon autos be sent in for regular service?

Thank you all for your input!

I'd be interested in hearing any additional input from Marathon auto owners on:

- accuracy

- maintenance schedules

- how much a typical full service costs

- any other impressions or quirks of their Marathon autos.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
My purchase of a Marathon watch just went out the window....actually 6 windows. Discovered three of the six on the east side of the house have fogged and need to be replaced. They are "Builder Grade" and are 20 years old.

If you live in a large enough town, you can get the glass part replaced. I did this with one window that had fogged and was only 4years old. The manufacturer sent me new trim, the sandwiched glass and a plastic pry tool…took all of 30 minutes.

/drift

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11460 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
quote:

Wow, it sounds like you guys are getting a better range in accuracy than I was expecting from your Marathon autos. While it is about double what I'm paying for my Luminox quartz service, I'd be willing to go into the $250-$300 service range, as long it isn't required too frequently.

How often should Marathon autos be sent in for regular service?

Thank you all for your input!

I'd be interested in hearing any additional input from Marathon auto owners on:

- accuracy

- maintenance schedules

- how much a typical full service costs

- any other impressions or quirks of their Marathon autos.

Accuracy- both are probably under 10 seconds a month

Maintenance schedule / service cost- for me, it's going to be when it needs it. If I notice something wrong, I'll ship it off. Cost? Initially I thought it was expensive, but doing a little research, it wasn't that bad. $400 ish for a tune up and the crown replaced. If you want the tritium replaced, it's going to be more. I'm not going to lie, if you send it to Marathon, it's not a fast turnaround. I think it was over 2 months. But I'm not an expert.

There's someone on here that recommended a guy on the east coast (NC, maybe?) that is a qualified Marathon repair shop, and pretty good too.

Quirks/impressions- side by side, a Marathon and a Rolex are the same height. Marathons are designed to be used in less than optimal conditions. Under water, cold hands... Hence the thicker bezel and lugs protecting the crown. These are designed to take a serious beating! They're not light, you know you have one on your wrist. I'm debating if I want the stainless steel bracelet for my CSAR, but it would probably weigh in more than my 1911.

The rubber band does smell like vanilla bean!
The stainless steel- not so much.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8526 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Someone mentioned Chrono24. I’m looking at a CSAR on the Marathon website that runs for $5k, the same watch (new, with Valjoux movement, and from 2020) is $2k on Chrono. What am I missing here? Is that extra $3k really just Marathon mark up?

I picked my CSAR up last year. When dealing with Windy City Watches, he told me that Marathons prices were going to increase Jan 2022...
Well, he wasn't wrong.

I think these people are selling them for last years prices.

As far as the Marathon v Omega
Yeah, I went back and forth between the two as well. Im not regretting my decision on the CSAR at all, or the GSAR either. I really dig them, and they're not as popular or as many as Omegas.

That doesn't mean I still don't want a Moon Watch! Wink
There's a Speedmaster somewhere in my future!
That Darkside of the Moon with the nylon strap is sharp!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8526 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
I keep going back and forth on Omega vs. Marathon

A concern I have about Omega (and most Sport watches) is that even though they claim to be “glow in the dark” luminous, Marathon and Luminox are the only two I am ware of that are “treated” to a point where they always glow, regardless of light source.

There are plenty of brands that treat hands with tritium so they "always" glow. That includes Omega which uses tritium on some(?) Speedmaster models. But even tritium will degrade over time. My Omega glows really bright when it's been out in the sun, but even at 4 am, it is legible when it's been sitting in the dark for 8 hours. And when you have an Omega serviced, they can relume the hands and indeces as part of the basic service.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10573 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
I just received an email from Long Island Watch about a sale on selected Marathons:

https://longislandwatch.com/sh...0%2B%20Master%20List

Posts: 1278 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
I own 2
One of the automatics and the chrono.

Phenomenal watches! Built like tanks, and their customer service is very good.

Check out Windy City Watch Collector

https://windycitywatchcollecto...ch/marathon-watches/

He maybe able to beat Marathons prices

Oh man oh man!

Windy City has the Pilot CSAR on sale for a ridiculous price. I pulled the trigger, had to.

https://windycitywatchcollecto...onograph-pilot-csar/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ronin1069,

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12404 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You won’t regret it!
It will be on your wrist really soon!
And the owner is a great guy to do business with! If there’s any problems or questions, he’s going to get back to you with the right information quickly!

(And he’s got some stuff at incredible prices!)

Let us know when you get it!

half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I'm wearing my quartz J-SAR as I write this note. Bought in 2012 it keeps excellent time and, because I have 30-something other watches, still looks more or less like new.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either format - clockwork or electric - you need to watch the second hand to see which is which, and nobody ever gets that near to me.

Posts: 11439 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Had to be done! Chris as Windy City is the best! Fantastic service and a great price…

I’ll probably end up selling my JDD to pay for this one!

IMG_6615

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
That is a beauty. I’ve been tempted several times. But I find that a chronograph automatic watches are just a little bit too delicate. I have a Marathon jumbo day date, I think I posted about in the first page, that I would trust through anything. I would worry about a chronograph though.

I’m just sent my Sinn 103 back for the second time in a year. This time I dropped it from waist height onto a carpeted bedroom floor and suddenly it was gaining five minutes an hour.

Just saying, be careful. Beautiful watch though! Almost bought one a couple of years ago when I bought the JDD.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11463 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is a beauty. I’ve been tempted several times. But I find that a chronograph automatic watches are just a little bit too delicate.

And what you say is why I might end up keeping the JDD for the more everyday wear and put the steel bracelet on the Chrono and use it for evening outings and such.

It would be a no-Brainer if I didn’t have this Garmin Fenix7 that I’m so addicted to wearing !

To add…this is my JDD with bracelet.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2nVUCN6]

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

posted Hide Post
It's a bute, Clark! It's a bute!

Yeah, Windy City Watch / Chris is great to do business with!

I'm debating if I'm going to get the Stainless Steel bracelet for my Chrono.... That's going to be one heavy watch!

My only issue is that I want a Marathon T-shirt, and Windy City doesn't carry them. The price difference is about $10

1st World problems, I guess.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
[patiently awaiting mine to return from service]

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11460 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post