SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Marathon Watch questions.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marathon Watch questions. Login/Join 
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted
Are they a good value (quality / price)?

I am presently interested in either the 41mm GSAR Automatic or 41mm Arctic Automatic. Both are presently on Sale on the Marathon website.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7275 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
They are a BEAST. They use fine Swiss movements and should serve you well.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34397 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Jumbo CSAR... Incredibly rugged. It is my favorite and most expensive watch. Get one, you'll love it (any of their watches).

The "Boz"

Posts: 1552 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I bought one of the first SAR models from a 100 run (Oct 2001 contract) offered to MWR members by CountyComm. It has proved to be an extremely rugged reliable and accurate watch.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16523 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own 2
One of the automatics and the chrono.

Phenomenal watches! Built like tanks, and their customer service is very good.

Check out Windy City Watch Collector

https://windycitywatchcollecto...ch/marathon-watches/

He maybe able to beat Marathons prices

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8526 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I’ve worn one since 2010 or so.

GSAR first, JDD now.

Fantastic watches. Big, but tough. Zero complaints, and both of mine kept/keep great time.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11463 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I sold mine here on Sigforum.

I wish I had not. Frown One of only a few things I have sold that I have sellers remorse.

Another, was my first sig 226 navy. It was my first sig.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3659 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I was issued a GSAR in the CG(reserve) around mid 2006 . I wore it until around mid 2017 when I retired from the police department. Never took it off. It’s still running and scratched to hell and back . I wear it now occasionally. I might send it in to be serviced.

It’s a great watch. I’ve had blood, water, fuel, diesel, sea water and prolly some other stuff on it or had it submerged in and it keeps working.

I had it on last week and it’s losing a few minutes every few days - which makes me think it needs servicing.

I would recommend.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11460 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Large & heavy, very reliable.

Posts: 1588 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
YEs. 2002 CY original SAR.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20388 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I bought my TSAR about a year ago.

Posts: 7650 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
TSAR is a quartz movement. GSAR is an automatic. Same watch when it comes to size and appearance.

Posts: 7650 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I like big watches, so I stumped up for the J-SAR - in my wrist right now.

Not only is it an impressive timekeeper, and has been since I bought it in 2008, but it makes a handy door-stop and part-time anvil.

I live in UK, but next time we are back home in the land of the Maple Leaf I'll be getting it serviced for the first time. Meanwhile, it's flawless.

Posts: 11439 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I've been jones'n a Marathon watch for years now, and have emersed myself on their website several times. My dream Marathon is a CSAR, but Marathon prices have skyrocketed and realistically I could probably be happy with a JSAR or GSAR.

For those of you who have owned a Marathon automatic, can you comment on what kind of accuracy and reliability you are getting. Do their autos gain/ lose minutes per day or gain/ lose minutes per month? I currently wear a Luminox quartz that consistently gains 5-6 seconds per month, so I'm a bit spoiled regarding timepiece accuracy.

Also, what does a typical Marathon service cost and how often do the autos need to be serviced?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
I've been jones'n a Marathon watch for years now, and have emersed myself on their website several times. My dream Marathon is a CSAR, but Marathon prices have skyrocketed and realistically I could probably be happy with a JSAR or GSAR.

For those of you who have owned a Marathon automatic, can you comment on what kind of accuracy and reliability you are getting. Do their autos gain/ lose minutes per day or gain/ lose minutes per month? I currently wear a Luminox quartz that consistently gains 5-6 seconds per month, so I'm a bit spoiled regarding timepiece accuracy.

Also, what does a typical Marathon service cost and how often do the autos need to be serviced?

I had mine (GSAR) serviced about 4 years ago because I stripped the crown. I beat the hell out of the GSAR, it was my every day watch for years. Between police stuff, diving, and an active life, the Marathons are holding up! Kinda on the expensive side for the service, but well worth it. I have the GSAR and the CSAR. Love the hell out of them. As far as accuracy, its a few seconds a month (+/-) 7 or so.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8526 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
If their automatic Chronograph diver weren’t sized for a Giant I’d own one. Great looking watch and near perfect except for that case size.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21221 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Modern Day Savage,
I've had my original SAR serviced several times since buying it in late 2001. Last cost was $250.
The ETA movement has been good within a couple seconds per day.

As an aside, back then it only came with a high quality rubber strap. Once bracelets were made available I bought one.

I actually acquired 2 of the first batch offered to the public. But I ended up flipping one to someone who had missed out on the Oct 2021 first SAR run.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16523 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
TANSTAAFL
posted Hide Post
I wanted a Marathon back in the day. Wasn’t able to score one, ended up with a Maratac GPT1.

Posts: 721 | Location: Burlington, NC | Registered: June 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
My JDD averages -1 second per day, according to my watchtracker app.

When I wear it consistently, I can usually keep it regulated by position when I take it off for bed.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11463 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Love my TSAR.

So the great debate. Sterile or Government dial?

Posts: 11285 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post