SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Establishing Ownership of Dog - UPDATED P2
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Establishing Ownership of Dog - UPDATED P2 Login/Join 
posted
My son is in the middle of a bad breakup and there is a dog involved. The dog was an adoption from one of her moms neighbors but that said my son was the one who wanted it, has cared for it, paid for food and such but now that they are breaking up she is acting like the dog should be all hers (even though she spent very limited time with him)...Yes, she is doing it to be a bitch.

She has asked if she can take the dog for days/weeks at a time but my son does not trust her.

As neither party one was terribly responsible out of the gate my advice to him was to get the dog updated vaccines including rabies which would register dog to him and also consider chipping.

In the even this ever got nasty I just wnat him to prove that it is his dog.

Anything I am missing?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kevmo,

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5671 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bG0a6Oy7rfA" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

lol, I saw that....If it ever came to that I feel it would end poorly for the ex as my son and this dog are inseparable

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

I was trying to find this when ChuckFinley posted.

LOL

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44444 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
He should NOT let her take the dog if he ever wants to see it again. He will have no effective legal recourse.

God Bless and Protect Donald John Trump.

VOTE EARLY TO BEAT THE CHEAT!!!

Posts: 17541 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
He should NOT let her take the dog if he ever wants to see it again. He will have no effective legal recourse.

I have told him this and right now there are some money issues that need to be settled (read she owes him a bunch) and he wants to "play nice" but once that is settle he said she si not even going to know where he is moving to.

I see his part in the breakup but she is a spoiled, entitled bitch who is too used to getting her way

10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
Anything I am missing?

Have him get those shots to prove e is a responsible owner. And most counties require a dog have license tags. Get them.

Posts: 17541 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have told him this and right now there are some money issues that need to be settled (read she owes him a bunch) and he wants to "play nice" but once that is settle he said she si not even going to know where he is moving to.

I see his part in the breakup but she is a spoiled, entitled bitch who is too used to getting her way

So he'll play nice. She won't. Then he'll be out the money and the dog.

Well, I guess everyone has to learn.

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
The dog is "property", if he has possesion of the dog, and there is no "proof of ownership" (recipt of purchase, cancelled check etc) then it will be up to her to "prove" he has "her property".

Since is is not a marriage, it gets harder for her. In a divorce, property is often considiered joint owned and there will be monatary award in exchange, or other property of that value in the division of assets.

All of this is dependant on state laws. She would have to take him to (small claims) court, and since he has the dog, he might have to pay her something to keep the dog, but that likely woul dbe about it.

(Stuff my laywer told me in my divorce. FL)

Nice ended when the relationship ended.

Anything else and he's just a schmuck.

He needs to write off what she owes and move on with the dog, but let her think he wants the "bunch", and she'll likely avoid him.

(I am neither a lawyer or a monkey in real life. OK, one of those statements might be false...)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44444 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

He is already out the money, don't play nice he wont get shit anyway. Take the dog and don't look back

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10752 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Does want the money more, or the dog? If the answer is the dog, he'd better not give it back to her, IMO, unless ordered by the court.

Does he have proof, actual proof, the money she owes him was given as a loan, instead of a gift? If yes, take her to court if she doesn't pay. Maybe he can tell her, "let's settle the money first, then we can talk about the dog." Then when it comes time to talk about the dog, well, you get the picture. Wink

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
quote:
quote:

He is already out the money, don't play nice he wont get shit anyway. Take the dog and don't look back

I learned that lesson the hard way. The money is gone. No matter how nice he is or her sincerity in wanting to repay, it's gone. She may say she's going to repay it, but think about this for a second. If she got in debt with him paying half the bills, how the heck will she get out while paying full living expenses?

Tell him to keep his four legged buddy. If she's someone who is debt, I doubt she'll take him to court over the dog. Plus what happens if he needs medical care, is he to pay that too?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21105 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
Offer to cancel her debt for ownership of the dog.

She'll likely never pay anyway. Time to play nice is over, only guys do that anyway.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, she is doing it to be a bitch.

I have watched an otherwise amicable divorce almost come to blows in the court room... over the dog.

House, cars, savings, parenting time all worked out. They each paid their lawyers to argue in court for hours over who owned the dog.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matthew03:
Offer to cancel her debt for ownership of the dog.

Or at least to cancel half the debt. I doubt he'll ever collect even half. But he can try.

If it flies, floats or fucks, don't lend it money.

Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
I'm an attorney in Florida and able to case on this exact matter last year. The court found that the greatest evidence of ownership was the receipt for the purchase of the animal and secondly the tag registration with the municipality. Obviously a different jurisdiction and rules will vary by state. Talk to your local lawyer for specifics.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5177 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
legally its property. the more he establishes a trail of ownership the better. get it to the vet (if needed) and pay. Even if not really needed have a health checkup. If it needs any shots get those and pay. make sure the license is in his name. Etc. Etc.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11161 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timdogg6:
I'm an attorney in Florida and able to case on this exact matter last year. The court found that the greatest evidence of ownership was the receipt for the purchase of the animal and secondly the tag registration with the municipality. Obviously a different jurisdiction and rules will vary by state. Talk to your local lawyer for specifics.

Which is why all MY dogs are microchipped to ME.
Not that I am in discord with my wife, but in case of some other event over ownership comes up.

I wish your son luck. My son was dating a flakehead many years ago. They decided to get a little dog. Well they broke up, she got the dog, but neglected it, and was going to surrender the dog to a shelter.

My son found out and went and got the little dog, showing the receipt to the snowflake since he had paid for the dog.

Well, we ended up with the little dog, named Link, and he is my good buddy, although, getting old and fading .

Convince your son, to not be gullible, and keep the dog for the well being of the dog and himself.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
License the dog in his name. Microchip the dog in his name.
Train the dog to come to him.
If she gets the dog, get a "First refusal." She cannot sell or surrender the dog until he says he doesn't want it.
My rescue was removed from an abusive owner as our breeder had the "first refusal" clause. No, after 11 years she still won't give me the abusers name.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6065 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Let me see if I got this straight. Some broke ass bitch who 'used' to be your son's girlfriend (heavy emphasis on used to be), thinks she's got any say whatsoever in any of this. And a couple folks here actually think this broke ass bitch is going to go find herself an attorney to chase a dog? Unless the attorney will take ass in exchange for billings, this ain't happening. More likely than not this bitch is way too busy anyway shopping for her next free ride.

Forgive my bluntness, but your son needs to grow a pair and recognize his money, just like this chick, is history. As such, he needs to tell her to go F-off, block her number from his phone, and he and his dog need to move on to better times.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post