SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I have a crow friend
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have a crow friend Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
The Yooper Crows in my townhouse complex have figured out that some of my neighbors will set their trash bags outside on their porches briefly before hauling them to the dumpster. They then help themselves to the trash. Like Raccoons, but with wings!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
The Yooper Crows in my townhouse complex have figured out that some of my neighbors will set their trash bags outside on their porches briefly before hauling them to the dumpster. They then help themselves to the trash. Like Raccoons, but with wings!

True dat. Trash pickup here is Thursday. Two (maybe three) trucks driving their own route, but it's a big town in terms of area so while they say "Have your trash out by 7AM" it could be anywhere between then and 4PM or so. They consistently hit my place between 10 and 11.

I get that working folks can't wait around and need to put it out early, but what gets me is the folks that put it out the night - or even the afternoon - before. It's an absolute certainty that crows, dogs or coons WILL tear it up and spread it all over the place. That's bad enough but there are several mouth-breathers around here that don't even bother to pick it up.

Apologies for the thread drift, but it's one of my (many...) hot buttons.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
At first glance, I though the subject line was "I have a cow friend" and I was intrigued, though wary.

You can't trust them bovines worth a damn.

You got THAT right, Bubba!

My Dad raised beef critters when I was a kid. Part of my morning routine for several years was feeding and watering them, which required getting right in amongst them.

In all that time I only ran into one that was intentionally aggressive, but something that big and that stupid can hurt you without meaning to. I've been stepped on, head-butted, smacked with crap-encrusted tails, shit on and squeezed until I swore my ribs were gonna let go.

Then there's the endless fun of cleaning up after them in a "loafing shed" that was too small to get a tractor and loader into. That meant pitching it into a spreader one fork-full at at time.

I effin' HATE cowz...

I don't trust Cows either:

https://www.discovery.com/natu...e-people-than-sharks

22 people a year due to cows.

I know it's called a "Murder", but those birds ain't killed anyone yet. Wink

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
My bird friends currently are wild turkeys, well, semi-wild. We have a bunch around, roost up front in pine trees. When all together about 30.

Besides my normal birdseed I’ve been buying cracked corn, also cheaper than sunflower seed. If they are near, they come when I step out, to eat.

A few big gobblers are mixed in. I hunt but have no reason to bother these. I did see a hunter 500 yards away last Spring neighboring land. It’s totally fine by me if a gobbler wanders over to him.

The biggest threat to them(chicks) is a hawk family that has nested the last few years, and the foxes.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
“If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.”

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post