SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Police are tapping into residents' Ring doorbells
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Police are tapping into residents' Ring doorbells Login/Join 
posted
to stream 24/7 live video. Big Brother gets more real every day it seems

A handful of police departments across the US are using software that lets them register the locations of people's home security cameras including Amazon Ring doorbells and get residents' permission to stream live video from the cameras.

The software is sold by Fusus — a Georgia-based tech firm with no connection to Amazon — that builds dashboards for police departments that combine feeds from public and private security cameras in one place.

https://www.businessinsider.co...police-fusus-2020-11

Posts: 772 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
It's for the greater good, you know.

Q

Posts: 26397 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
The city will ask people to sign waivers allowing police to access live footage from their home security camera in an attempt to fight crime, The Associated Press earlier reported. The pilot is being carried out in partnership with Fusus, a Georgia-based tech firm that sells software that lets police extract live video from private security cameras.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
I think the title is a little misleading. Police aren't just hacking into the cameras and using them. They are getting permission from the homeowner so view their camera footage.

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
A "pilot program" and with "consent", not really all that huge. Although, if they want cameras that bad, they should install some of their own...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6214 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good idea, with permission of course and a right to rescind it at will

Posts: 5323 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
When I hear/see 'tapping into', I think of clandestine or illicit monitoring of a phone line or such without the owners knowledge or permission. In this instance, as long as the police are obtaining the consent of the owners as stated, I don't see an issue and view it as a technological adjunct to programs like neighborhood watch groups, etc.

Posts: 7314 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
Although technically correct, your thread headline is misleading. It implies they are "tapping in" without permission.

They ask, you can say yes or no. I'm not sure what the value of the live feed would be, unless they had someone sitting there and watching every camera which would be a huge waste of resources if not impossible to pull off. Maybe if they knew something was about to go down, it might have value, but so would eyes on the ground.

The municipalities have the ability to install cameras around town anyway, and my guess is this may be used in areas where they can not provide coverage.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4990 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the police can access that feed, so can anyone else.

I've never understood the need to vomit up one's life online. Look everybody. Look at me. See what I'm doing.

Setting up one's home with live feed on doorbell cameras and interior and exterior feeds are not far removed.

I work with a number of people who are on the road extensively, and they like the ability to check their feeds and see what's going on at home. They're apparently okay with anyone else being able to do it, too. Like Mr. Burgle, who has the ability to see who is home and when, without any need to go case the place, and who has the ability to be inside the house and watch the front door at the same time...and with access, can also look the information to make it appear that nothing is amiss. Worst of all worlds.

One gives permission to access the camera. One rescinds the permission. How is one assured that no one is viewing the feed? One is not.

One must assume that he is not the only one with access, or who is viewing the feed, at any given time, with, or without permission granted. One would be a bloody fool not to.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Although technically correct, your thread headline is misleading.

In all fairness, the OP was just using Business Insider's headline.

Posts: 7314 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't trust anyone enough to give them access to any camera and we all know that's exactly what would happen.

Yes if something happens in my neighborhood and they knock on the door and ask to see my footage that my ring doorbell collected to my hard drive come on in here ya go.

To have log in access anytime not a chance.

Posts: 3923 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a security system where I work. Police occasionally ask if I have video footage when there has an accident or criminal activity in our vicinity. I would be happy to give them access to the feed.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
This is not really that different from what law enforcement were already doing when it came to private security cameras, just a little more efficient. Cops typically knew which homes and businesses in an area had cameras, or were able to determine it through a neighborhood canvass, and if something happened in that area, the investigating officers would have track down each individual owner to ask permission to see their footage to determine if there was anything useful.

This is just being proactive about it, so officers can skip the step of canvassing the neighborhood to see who has cameras, then tracking down the owner and asking permission. They just already have permission and a means of access ahead of time, if needed, to help speed up that legwork aspect of the investigation.

Do you want your cops out there catching bad guys, or do you want them spending extra time looking for cameras, and then digging through property records or knocking on doors to try to track down each individual owner and get their permission and footage?

Edit: Okay, I overlooked the "live feed" part of it. I don't see how that would be all that useful, but maybe there's some legitimate law enforcement angle I'm not seeing?

Maybe following the path of a fleeing suspect in the immediate aftermath of a crime until responding officers can arrive? I know that's what government-owned live feed camera systems are often used for in big urban areas. But without some serious manpower to support it, with multiple staff pulling up multiple live feeds at one time, I don't see home camera live feed access being very useful for even that with the average law enforcement agency.

Posts: 32515 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve495:
Although technically correct, your thread headline is misleading. It implies they are "tapping in" without permission.

They ask, you can say yes or no. I'm not sure what the value of the live feed would be, unless they had someone sitting there and watching every camera which would be a huge waste of resources if not impossible to pull off. Maybe if they knew something was about to go down, it might have value, but so would eyes on the ground.

The municipalities have the ability to install cameras around town anyway, and my guess is this may be used in areas where they can not provide coverage.

Pretty sure that if they have a live feed they will also have the ability to record, which I believe they will be doing.

Posts: 1178 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
In all fairness, the OP was just using Business Insider's headline.

Which clearly shows it's click bait, Business Insider is baiting with that title.

Cops are not "tapping" into anyone's Ring without the ring user giving them permission.

I could see where you have an ex stalking a gal and showing up banging on the door at 2 am nightly to harass her, she has a RO, video, cops watch, bam he gets a night or more in the pokey....

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sounds like a good idea, with permission of course and a right to rescind it at will

With permission and the ability to revoke that consent, it sounds okay at first, but I don't think I would consent. "once the camel has his nose in your tent......"

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
This isn't as big of a deal as the OP's post says.

I'm currently shopping for a video doorbell and in my research this comes up somewhat frequently.

By DEFAULT, sharing is turned off and you must actively agree to do so. If you agree there are two routes this takes, the first isn't so troubling but the second might be.

1. You directly consent with the PD to share you video. You can do this as one to one sharing.

2. You can optionally share your video with the neighbors who have sharing with Five 0. The stuff you share with the neighbors can be viewed by the police if they have a consent agreement. That allows the police to see whatever is on the neighbor's system, even though you didn't consent to share your content.

It isn't as though the cops are scanning your property with live-feeds without your knowledge or consent.

Posts: 4079 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My peephole is secure.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Chloe from 24 was doing it before it was cool.

Posts: 3456 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think some of you are really playing fast and loose with the term " tapping into " .

Posts: 4058 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post