SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Police are tapping into residents' Ring doorbells
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Police are tapping into residents' Ring doorbells Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
No camera. No Siri. No Alexa. No Echo.

No problem.

And hell will freeze over before any of that shit invades my house.

It's bad enough having a cell phone.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15234 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooger:
I think the title is a little misleading. Police aren't just hacking into the cameras and using them. They are getting permission from the homeowner so view their camera footage.

^^^^^
With permission, no issues. If someone wants to grant that access, that's up to them.

That said, if the question were, 'Would I personally grant such permission to anyone if I had a video doorbell?', the answer in my case would be 'Nope nope nope.'

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Misleading title. They are asking permission. I don’t want access to someone’s ring or security camera. Hell, what am I going to see the most of? Probably the neighbor’s dog taking a deuce in their yard.

I ask people to send me the footage from the incident I need. Nothing else. Send it to my city email. Then I put into the evidence digital file.

We have the location of every public camera on a map in a file on our cruiser’s laptops so we don’t have to canvass a lot looking for camera in public locations.

Posts: 4059 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
"Hey citizen, why did we just see you leave your house without a mask and during lockdown?"

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
No camera. No Siri. No Alexa. No Echo.

No problem.

And hell will freeze over before any of that shit invades my house.

It's bad enough having a cell phone.
Same here. And my cell is a flip phone.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Am I missing something? How is it "tapping in" when it is consensually given by the owner? Seems to be kind of an overdramatic and misleading thread title.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Speaking of these video door bells... I'm not so sure about them.... I run a service business, just me, and go to houses all the time... went to a home on Tuesday and range the bell... no sound heard and no one came to the door... few minutes later I push the button again... and nothing so I leave. Seems the woman of the house had left her phone somewhere and that is what rings when you push the button....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Very interesting that the OP still isn't back... Almost like we should be having this discussion at the bottom of a bridge or something....

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Nobody's getting the kind of address to my network they'd need to access my cameras. Period. I'd rip 'em out before I'd allow that.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tn226 your thread title is so slanted.

Posts: 110 | Location: florida | Registered: July 17, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anybody who utilizes this type of technology needs to understand and accept that it's possible for someone to hack into it. And it's possible that gov't agencies might be in that group. Ever heard of the Patriot Act? Don't think they will always ask first.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
too much work to get it from your side.

I am guessing they are getting in from the network Amazon side. The side you pay for storage on amazon.

I am guessing that soon it would be part of the Amazon license to share all the data with the police as a "public service"

There is now a setting on the ring doorbells that will let you and you neighbors leach off each others networks if one goes downs so the doorbells stay up if you network goes down and your neighbors stays up.

The default is OPT IN.

I turned the setting off.

It's called SIDEWALK

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
Very interesting that the OP still isn't back... Almost like we should be having this discussion at the bottom of a bridge or something....

What's interesting about it? I wanted to know the opinion of others. My belief is it's an opportunity for further unwarranted intrusion. Saying it's OK if we agree to it is all well and good but camels nose etc.

I am baffled, however, by the fascination with "misleading" and "clickbait". I guess those, like beauty, are in the eye of the beholder.

Posts: 772 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tn226:
I am baffled, however, by the fascination with "misleading" and "clickbait".

"Police are tapping in" implies "wiretap," which is usually done w/o the owner's knowledge or permission. That is what's misleading and clickbaity about it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I have to visit a lot of people's homes and a lot of them have doorbell cameras or a camera in an upper corner of their porch, looking down toward the front door area. That area isn't a place anyone would have any expectation of privacy. Anyone is allowed to walk up to your front door to knock on it. The actual doorbell cameras are always facing away from the house and even cover a lot of the neighbors' properties. And if you live in a place where a lot of your neighbors have those cameras, your front door area will likely show up on their cameras whether you like it or not.

Posts: 3540 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Tn226:
I am baffled, however, by the fascination with "misleading" and "clickbait".

"Police are tapping in" implies "wiretap," which is usually done w/o the owner's knowledge or permission. That is what's misleading and clickbaity about it.

Thanks ensigmatic. I realized after the first few responses that was how it was being interpreted. Like I said, eye of the beholder. I'll try to be more conscious henceforth.

Posts: 772 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:
too much work to get it from your side.

I am guessing they are getting in from the network Amazon side. The side you pay for storage on amazon.

I am guessing that soon it would be part of the Amazon license to share all the data with the police as a "public service"

There is now a setting on the ring doorbells that will let you and you neighbors leach off each others networks if one goes downs so the doorbells stay up if you network goes down and your neighbors stays up.

The default is OPT IN.

I turned the setting off.

It's called SIDEWALK

How is this possible as in it just default to doing it? Doesn't the network need a password so you would have to talk to your neighbor to connect them or are the doorbells themselves communication and how are they doing that.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16402 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I understand all you folks that are mentioning the "with permission" aspect ...

But all it would take is a court order to do it without consent, just like wire-tapping, without consent, no knock warrants etc ...

I have nothing to hide, but its a slippery slope, give them an inch ...

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
You just don't go up to the courthouse vending machine and say, "Hmm, I'd like a search warrant" and press a button.

You fill out the warrant application and supporting affidavit showing your cause and it's submitted to the judge under penalty of perjury who might not grant it.

Maybe not for the DOJ or FBI, but there are consequences for bad affidavits.

Posts: 4079 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stand by for:
Thought police are profiling single most who drive jeeps!

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54647 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post