SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I almost stepped on an opossum
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I almost stepped on an opossum Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Do any of you folks remember the “Pogo” comic strip? I loved it.

“We have seen the enemy and he is us.”

“Pogo was a daily comic strip that was created by cartoonist Walt Kelly and syndicated to American newspapers from 1948 until 1975. Set in the Okefenokee Swamp in the Southeastern United States, Pogo followed the adventures of its anthropomorphic animal characters, including the title character, an opossum. …”
–Wikipedia

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pogo_(comic_strip)

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8974 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Damn thing just sat there and waited for me to step on it

Almost like it was playing possum...

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I was once leaned over a concrete wall, balancing precariously on my waist to inspect a hog feeder.

When I lifted the lid, an O'Possum was smiling at me from mutual badbreath distance (a foot and a half away).

I managed to not fall in, and back out without soiling myself.

Replaying the instantaneous, yet still crystal clear mental photo in my mind 46 years later,
I can still count the 1,243 teef in his mouf.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15898 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My grandmother died in the 1990s at the age of 104 . She was a farm girl whose parents obtained their farm in the 1800s Oklahoma land rush. As a young girl she she had raised the occasional young abandoned wild animal found in the pastures.

She and my grandfather moved to coastal Texas in the 1920s during the Dustbowl.

In her 90s, she found an abandoned baby possum in her yard. She raised “Wiley” in her house. It used the cat box along with the cats. Ate fruit and cat food.

Wiley behaved like just another cat. Ugly with fierce looking teeth, but otherwise tame. Slept in a box during most of the day.

City ordinance about wild animals? I guess they didn’t know or want to mess with a mid nineties farm girl.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
Nice story! Thank you. Your grandmother was a kind person.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8974 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
Calling possums opossums makes them sound Irish.

Na, the opossum is from North America.

The possum is from Australia.

They are quite similar in appearance, but not closely related.

And this was your pointless trivia nugget for the day. Wink

Posts: 9159 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
City ordinance about wild animals? I guess they didn’t know or want to mess with a mid nineties farm girl.

As one charged with enforcing such ordinances, I certainly wouldn't want to mess with a 90 year-old lady, or her possum! Your grandma sounds like a neat lady, and Wiley sounds like he was a well-mannered critter as well.

Posts: 8586 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post