SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Interesting find with CLP
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting find with CLP Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted
Not sure if this is significant or not, but I have been using CLP for almost 20 years and have noticed the last year or so now that I usually dump it into these small clear needle bottles, the color has changed from yellow to a more greenish hue. Why would this occur? When I squeeze it out of the original black CLP bottle it’s yellow still, but my clear one has changed color, even after shaking it up. I wonder if it is still as effective?

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Kendall Oil buy them out? Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
^^^Ha ha yeah maybe. I wonder if it’s a light reaction. I can’t imagine I’m the only one who has observed this. It makes me remember vaguely when CLP came in clear pen like syringes and I recall the color being darker greenish then too seeing them on the shelves.

Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Well I called them just now and they said it’s because of light exposure in the clear bottle and that it’s perfectly fine and still viable. Interesting to say the least, but perhaps a chemist would be able to understand the petroleum reaction better than I can.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Look at any liquid medicines you get, if it’s in a brown bottle it means light will affect it. With that in mind it’s not the different bottle affecting the CLP it’s the light that gets into the product and it affects the CLP.

Used to be it came in a clear spray bottle or gallon jug that was translucent…then they had to change the formula and remove benadrine(IIRC) and it began showing up in black bottles.

We used to get it by the gallon bottle on the ship and when it changed we got it in black bottles. And because we were required to use the cleaner the MRC card (pms required) said was authorized, we had to use it..it was t as effective at removing carbon anymore but we were stuck with that or using hot soapy water.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11281 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
What’s Benadrine? Is it an additive that is now banned or something?

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:

Yeah back in the late 90s BreakFree/CLPs formula changed because of carcinogenic stuff in it. I may have misspelled the stuff, but I remember it started with a B…and it will give you cancer…which is why you can’t find the really good “Rifle Bore Cleaner” in the small olive drab metal cans anymore. I don’t think CLP even has the Teflon glop in it anymore either. The good stuff had almost a banana smell to it.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11281 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:

Yeah back in the late 90s BreakFree/CLPs formula changed because of carcinogenic stuff in it. I may have misspelled the stuff, but I remember it started with a B…and it will give you cancer…which is why you can’t find the really good “Rifle Bore Cleaner” in the small olive drab metal cans anymore. I don’t think CLP even has the Teflon glop in it anymore either. The good stuff had almost a banana smell to it.

Do you mean Benzene perhaps?

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M1Garandy:

Do you mean Benzene perhaps?

I believe you are right. There was something else they took at at the same time and the product went from being the “go to” item to mehhh.

I have a can of the rifle bore cleaner from 1969 and it is awesome at removing a bore to the bare steel..but it smells noxious and is pure evil….I only use it sparingly as most times I don’t get crazy with my rifle’s cleaning.

I somehow left a gallon of the pre-change BreakFree/CLP at my dad’s years ago…and he won’t let me take it back. He uses it for all kinds of lubrication stuff.

Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Yeah I think I’d rather have stuff that works decent enough, but doesn’t kill me.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
It hasn’t killed me yet, and we used it for our 76mm Otto melera automatic cannon…..and everything smaller. I’ve literally had it all over me and swallowed some of it…and I haven’t grown an extra arm or tail. If I could choose between the olde stuff and 5e new…I’d take the olde stuff…

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
It hasn’t killed me yet, and we used it for our 76mm Otto melera automatic cannon…..and everything smaller. I’ve literally had it all over me and swallowed some of it…and I haven’t grown an extra arm or tail. If I could choose between the olde stuff and 5e new…I’d take the olde stuff…

Are you still able to wade to shore if your boat sinks?

Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

Are you still able to wade to shore if your boat sinks?

Big Grin

Nope, requirement for bootcamp graduation is the ability to swim-unlike the USN. Plus I’m retired now.