SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    "This is Nina at the health care dept at Medicare"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"This is Nina at the health care dept at Medicare" Login/Join 
Non-Miscreant
posted
So I told her to eat shit and die, then never call back. OK, its a waste of my time and hers. There is never a way that I'm going to talk to her or anyone else with that kind of fraudulent come on. and its true, I do wish she'd eat shit and die. Or at least go away, far away.

Does anyone really fall for that crap? The government gets involved in too much now. Why don't they do something of value for a change? I know, they're probably going to get involved by protecting the innocent cold callers from obscene folks that just answer their harassing calls. God, I do hate them and swear(trying to get creative with my obscenities) I will never give them even a decent answer. Do folks really buy things from them? Why doesn't the phone company get involved and help us?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I was getting 3 to 4 calls a day from spoofed numbers leaving the same message "I'm from senior medical blah blah blah then leave the same return number" Had to turn on the iFone blocker so they at least didn't ring but went to VM.

It had to be part of that big company that just got sued by the government, as they have stopped for now....

Posts: 23466 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Yep. I've also been getting calls from people saying I'm approved for a $75k loan. They come from all sorts of area codes now.

Posts: 13126 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got the 75K loan call too. I told the woman to send me a check. She said she needed more info from me first. I said you already have all the info you need. She hung up.
When do you think my 75K will get to me?
It was spoofed call or I would not have answered.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16098 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
.. and they want to buy your house. Eek

Posts: 22915 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Peteroniman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

but, they never offer me a price, when I tell them "I'll sell, how much are you going to give me for it" - I figured that if they want to buy it, they should have a price already in mind, no?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 2012 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
The array of different area codes is amazing. I don't think they could do it without the willing participation of the telecommunications companies.

Posts: 2782 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Stop answering your phone when it's a number you don't recognize.

Posts: 33819 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

I have a couple of advertising numbers forwarded through my work phone to my cell, I only see the work number calling. Mad about 5-8 a day

Posts: 5327 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

The iFone blocks it and sends it to VM, which is a form of answering, most calls that come in blocked that way don't leave messages, it's the same spoofed call that does.

Would be great if you could set the iFone block option to not forward to VM.

Posts: 23466 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Best answer.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sse:
The array of different area codes is amazing. I don't think they could do it without the willing participation of the telecommunications companies.
The SIP-based providers will give you a "ohone number" in any area code that has availability (some area codes have every number already assigned). Not to mention that spoofing a caller ID is trivial, so you don't even need the actual number itself. I am sure that predictive dialers can be programmed to display a different caller ID for every call origination (so as to defeat calling number-based call rejection mechanisms). This happens long before "the phone company" (whatever that means in this day and age) gets their slimy mitts on the bitstream. It's all software thee days, and providers could be doing much more to make it possible for subscribers to manage unwanted calls. The bottom line is that their customers are not willing to pay for the software development costs that would make it possible.

I rarely answer calls any more, only if it is a person who I want to talk to at that very moment, and who has taken the necessary steps to show a name for their caller ID (not just a number that happens to be in my phone book). Everybody else gets rejected, if their business isn't urgent enough for them to leave a VM, screw them. Yes, I have lost friends with this strategy, but I don't miss them.

Posts: 6484 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Best answer.

Do people really consider buying things from cold call spammers?

A fool and his money are soon parted.

“Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.”

John Adams

Posts: 317 | Location: Land of 10000 Taxes | Registered: March 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is Nina at the health care dept at Medicare
Me: "What are you wearing?"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30687 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
For a fair price, but not once has anyone one of these people put a number on the table.

Posts: 10961 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I tell them 1.5 million for the house. They hang up. They never get past my wife on the Medicare fraud.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We got a Panasonic land line phone system at Costco that tells the unknown number to dial one to be put thru. Since the robo-dialer can't understand the speech, it can't call one, and the call is blocked. A real person has no trouble following the simple instruction, and the phone rings. 4 phones and a base station for $80, best money we have spent in a long time. Used to get as many as 20 spam calls a day.

Posts: 1642 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My first response to those trying to sell me medical insurance is "I'm 85" and then I hear a click.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MoosehornMan:

A fool and his money are soon parted.

Why, yes, yes, they do. And relatives needing bail money, Social Security accounts "suspended," the list goes on. You, I and others on this board may not fall for these scams, but apparently enough people do that the scammers think their efforts worthwhile.

I have set up my contacts with different ringtones. One is for family, another for business associates, the third for everything else. The everything else one is not answered, ever, period.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MoosehornMan:

Especially the elderly. Perhaps because their life experience does not include this kind of utter dishonesty they fall for it. Perhaps because they are getting mentally frail.

Scammers are utter shit for doing what they do.

Posts: 9457 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post