SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Coney Island Dogs
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coney Island Dogs Login/Join 
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Angelo's in Flint. It has to have a Koegel Vienna on it.

Posts: 5560 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Either Nathan's or Sabrett it you're buying the dogs to make later. Spicey dark yellow mustard, sweet red onions, and sauerkraut.
If you simply must sample the local culture yourself, nearly any hot dog vendor in the city can hook you up. Papaya King in various places around the big apple and Frankie's in Grand Central Terminal also make killer dogs. Frankie's is one of my favorites.

A chili dog is a chili dog, and while it may be tasty it's not a Coney anything.

Posts: 7097 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
I am not a world Traveler but this is the best I have had . and excellent service to boot.
https://www.fortwaynesfamousconeyisland.com/

Posts: 1629 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mexican style "Sonoran" Hot Dogs in Tucson:

A Sonoran hot dog, with pinto beans, tomatoes, green salsa, jalapeño, mustard, and mayonnaise, and with avocado and cotija cheese on top.

Just one hot dog will keep you in the bathroom for several hours.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Nathan's was much touted as being 'the' dog from heaven over much of the previous 30 years. I've know former NooYawkers practically swoon in their praise of the genre.

Circa 1994 I anted up and ordered some fresh with dry ice 24 hour delivery directly from there to my kitchen in the PNW.

I was impressed by the service, the damn-fast delivery, the hoop-la & promotion of the dog. And they seemed to be 'fresh'.

While edible, the product not only failed to register as significant upgrade to my palate, it was misrepresented in such a way by overenthusiastic patrons that I gained some insight into just how the dominant political process there hangs on.

YMMV. Mine certainly does.

But on to chili dogs.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9874 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Walter’s in Mamaroneck NY makes the best hot dog. They’ve been at it since 1919. Had my first one in 1970 and I still stop for a couple whenever I get back that way.

https://www.zagat.com/r/walters-mamaroneck

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...er%27s_Hot_Dog_Stand

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/0...s-hot-dog-stand.html

Posts: 6960 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
James Coney Island: 95 years in Houston. Awesome. The only thing I truly miss about moving out of the city!

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Coney Island, Brooklyn, everything else is a copy....Sorry MI,IL,OH, MI & TX you have had a fraud perpetrated on you.... Cool

Posts: 8728 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
two more worth mentioning; dirty water hot dogs from a cart in NYC, and a Chicago Dog, dragged through the garden with extra celery salt.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
quote:
Originally posted by LtJL:
Sorry, endorsed by Corporal Maxwell Klinger himself, Tony Packo's dogs in East Toleo. Flown from Toledo to South Korea.

Ohio chili dogs Roll Eyes now I've heard it all...

Just stick to throwing your chili on spaghetti, because it belongs nowhere near a hot dog Big Grin

Your taste buds are Section 8.

Don't get me wrong, I love some Skyline and Gold Star chili 5 way, just don't put it on a hot dog with some fine shredded cheese and call it a coney.

I made that mistake once, and won't do it again. A true Michigan coney is in a league of it's own.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Not to keep harping on the Fort Wayne Coney, but it was founded in 1914.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
I’m from Brooklyn, Boerum Hill.

Nathan’s was the hotdog from Coney Island.

And I tell you, the ones in the package are nothing near to the real thing.

Huge hot dogs, fantastic fries.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7190 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LtJL:
Sorry, endorsed by Corporal Maxwell Klinger himself, Tony Packo's dogs in East Toleo. Flown from Toledo to South Korea.

Tony packos is very good. The chili Mac rocks there also.

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elde:
James Coney Island: 95 years in Houston. Awesome. The only thing I truly miss about moving out of the city!
I enjoy JCI, but they pale in comparison to the Coney Dogs that I've had in Michigan. JCI's have a different texture as they aren't as meaty (i.e. they have more sauce).

From a link earlier in the post, here is a good pic of a coney dog from Michigan:

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23692 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Surely (and don't call me Shirley!), I can not be the only one here who was born in Brooklyn ("God's Country").

As a kid, my cousins and I always looked forward to those summer days when we would get on the subway, which emerged from its underground passageway and rose to become the "el" (elevated train) above the streets.

We would get off at the Coney Island stop and head straight for Nathan's -- the One True Hot Dog vendor. Sauerkraut and mustard, the deli mustard with ground horseradish in it was first choice, but yellow mustard was a barely acceptable substitute. Chopped onion and relish were optional, the purists stuck to just sauerkraut and mustard.

Those hot dogs and Nathan's fries. I can still remember them, seventy years later. We would stuff ourselves, thus making sure that we had something substantial in our stomachs to throw up, if need be, when we rode the death-defying boardwalk rides.

The parachute jump was my mother's favorite. I never worked up enough courage to ride that with her, so I would stay on the ground and pray for her safety.

The bobsled was more my style. This was a roller coaster type ride, but instead of tracks, the bobsled cars rolled down sort of a chute:

Back to the hot dogs: Nathan's brand Coney Island style hot dogs are available in most supermarkets. If you haven't tried one, be prepared for your tongue to throw a party for your mouth (thank you, Mel Brooks) when you bite into that all beef juicy goodness. Nathan understood the art of blending the right spices, and the proper use of garlic in a hot dog.

No but was born and raise in Douglas Projects in Manhattan, West Side. Always went to Coney Island for Dogs, Fries and play in the arcades. Loved the the EL, of course had the 3rd Ave EL in the east side.

Posts: 1901 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
Nathan's was much touted as being 'the' dog from heaven over much of the previous 30 years. I've know former NooYawkers practically swoon in their praise of the genre.

Circa 1994 I anted up and ordered some fresh with dry ice 24 hour delivery directly from there to my kitchen in the PNW.

I was impressed by the service, the damn-fast delivery, the hoop-la & promotion of the dog. And they seemed to be 'fresh'.

While edible, the product not only failed to register as significant upgrade to my palate, it was misrepresented in such a way by overenthusiastic patrons that I gained some insight into just how the dominant political process there hangs on.

YMMV. Mine certainly does.

But on to chili dogs.
I'm with you on Nathan's. I don't care for them at all. Hebrew National is OK. But I usually just get Ball Park bun length beef dogs.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
As a born, bred and raised denizen of the Rotten Apple, the only coney dogs come from Nathan's.
Located at Surf and Stillwell Avenues in Brooklyn, the hot dogs are top notch.
The crinkle cut fries served in a paper cone are also commendable.
Never had the pleasure of munching a Midwest coney dog.

Posts: 2427 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
BallPark Franks FTW!

Posts: 20611 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
If you're ever in Grand Island, Nebraska...

Chill, Dawg!

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
Coney Dogs are OK, I guess, but I'd hold out for a Chicago Dog any day.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post