SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Coney Island Dogs
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coney Island Dogs Login/Join 
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted
Virginia Coney Island Dogs, Best Coney's I've ever had. Gotta get back to Jackson Michigan, my old home town, just for those Coney dogs! Many places tried to copy but just come up short with low rent chili dogs.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SFCUSARET,

Posts: 1069 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
Sorry, endorsed by Corporal Maxwell Klinger himself, Tony Packo's dogs in East Toleo. Flown from Toledo to South Korea.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LtJL:
Sorry, endorsed by Corporal Maxwell Klinger himself, Tony Packo's dogs in East Toleo. Flown from Toledo to South Korea.

Ohio chili dogs Roll Eyes now I've heard it all...

Just stick to throwing your chili on spaghetti, because it belongs nowhere near a hot dog Big Grin

Posts: 1517 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
SW Idaho Basque chorizos have my vote.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9874 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'm a purist--the only thing that should be on a hot dog is yellow mustard. Period.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I'm a purist--the only thing that should be on a hot dog is yellow mustard. Period.

Then it wouldn't be a Coney Dog, the subject of this thread.

For coney dog aficionados' edification: The Origin of the Coney Island Hot Dog Is a Uniquely American Story

quote:

It’s easy, though, to locate the Coney dog’s ground zero, the Midwest’s version of Surf and Stillwell: the corner of West Lafayette Boulevard and Michigan Avenue in Detroit.

Also: Coney Dog - Detroit Historical Society

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
MLive.com
Peek Through Time: 100 years of humble hot dogs covered in chili marks Jackson Coney Island history
Updated on May 20, 2015 at 08:06 AM EDT
Interior shots of Jackson Coney Island from the 1960s. Interior shots of Jackson Coney Island from the 1960s.
Interior shots of Jackson Coney Island from the 1960s. Interior shots of Jackson Coney Island from the 1960s.
Facebook Icon
Twitter Icon
Email Icon
Text Message Icon
More options Icon

CLOSE
More share options:
By Leanne Smith | lsmith12@mlive.com
CLOSE
Email the author
Follow on Twitter
JACKSON, MI - A soft white bun holding a humble hot dog covered with savory chili and chopped onions is just lunch to a lot of people.

In Jackson, though, the coney is much, much more.

It tells the story of Macedonian immigrants who fled their Balkan homeland during fierce struggles within the Ottoman Empire and found a safe home and a decent livelihood in a town being built by a booming railroad.

It's a comfortable and nostalgic taste of home for those who grew up taking their first bite of this no-frill delight while dangling their sneakers off a spinning stool at a worn, polished Formica counter.

It's the smell you never forget.

And, according to Jackson history, it all began in 1914 under the guidance of the city's legendary coney godfather George Todoroff at a place now known as Jackson Coney Island, 615 E. Michigan Ave.

Peek Through Time: Jackson Cony Island
An interior shot from the 1930s or '40s at Jackson Coney Island. J. Scott Park | jpark4@mlive.com
No one really knows why Jackson became his home. Some say he and others from his native Macedonia were on a train bound for Detroit that stopped in Jackson. They got off, liked what they saw and stayed.

It is known that Todoroff's first restaurant, near Jackson's train depot and where the current restaurant's parking lot is now, had a dirt floor, very little elbow room and a counter that served crowds of working trainmen quickly and cheaply.

Todoroff's eatery doesn't show up with the name Jackson Coney Island until the 1931 city directory. And, by then, fellow Macedonians Tom and Charles Christoff also had joined him in the thriving eatery.

After World War II, Todoroff and the Christoffs' widows, Magda and Sophia, sold the business for $5,000 to Andy and Don Lazaroff, twin sons in a family whose bakery made the restaurant's hot dog buns.

Peek Through Time
If you would like to suggest a notable person, place or event from the past for this weekly feature, please contact reporter Leanne Smith at 262-0720 or lsmith12@mlive.com . To see more of these stories, check out the archive .
In 1960, after being joined by George Christoff, the Lazaroffs bought the building housing their restaurant. At this time, Jackson Coney Island, 611 E. Michigan Ave., was one of many lunch counters on the city's east side, including New York Lunch, 640 E. Michigan Ave., and Virginia Coney Island, 649 E. Michigan Ave.

Their set-ups were similar, simple and timeless - one wall typically lined with booths, the other with stools and a counter. Seated at them every day were families, couples and singles, doctors, lawyers, businessmen and laborers.

The atmosphere, they said, was like visiting friends for lunch and sitting in their kitchen talking.

Jackson Coney Island became the training ground for restaurateurs who launched other eateries in town people remember and love, said Phil Lazaroff, Andy's son, who grew up working there.

"They'd start out washing dishes, then they'd help out the cook when it was busy, then they'd become the cook and then they'd move on to bigger things," he said.

In 1965, Jackson Coney Island itself moved on to bigger things when the original building was torn down along with the McCain Block building next door to make way for the current restaurant and its parking lot.

In 1970, Andy Lazaroff sold out to his brother and Christoff to focus on Andy's Pizza restaurants. They kept Jackson Coney Island until selling it to Dave White in 1972. White had the business until 1999 when Phil Lazaroff purchased it and then eventually the building from his mother's estate in 2010.

In 2014, Jackson Coney Island, then owned by Tim Mullins, celebrated its 100 th birthday by showing off newly renovated fixtures.

This month, the eatery closed . The naming rights and the fixtures are for sale for $85,000 . Phil Lazaroff hopes it's back open soon.

"I'd like to see someone young who's focused on the business and looking for opportunity come in," he said. "When you sit someplace for 100 years you run thousands of people through your door, you hate to see that go. Jackson is sentimental for its buildings and businesses. I'm hoping for the best."

Comments

Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

© 2018 MLive Media Group. All rights reserved (About Us).
The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of MLive Media Group.

Community Rules apply to all content you upload or otherwise submit to this site. Contact interactivity management.

Ad Choices

Posts: 1069 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Texas Hots from Buffalo FTW!

Posts: 4254 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
Texas Hots from Buffalo FTW!

Just another chili dog which might be tasty but not a Coney!! Talking Jackson Michigan Coneys, the best!

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

For coney dog aficionados' edification: The Origin of the Coney Island Hot Dog Is a Uniquely American Story

quote:

It’s easy, though, to locate the Coney dog’s ground zero, the Midwest’s version of Surf and Stillwell: the corner of West Lafayette Boulevard and Michigan Avenue in Detroit.

I grew up in Detroit, lived there 18 years (1942-1960), and never heard of a "Coney Dog". If I had, I'd have assumed they referred to Coney Island in NYC.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
I grew up in the Jackson county area from 1954 to mid 1970. Never knew anything other than the Jackson Coneys. Then I got out into the world and sampled the coneys that the rest of the country tried to pass off to the public and was disappointed in the results. A chili dog by anyother name is still a chili dog unless it's a Jackson Coney or a Virginia Lunch Coney.

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Coney Island places all around me. My favorite is still a foot long from SONIC

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Surely (and don't call me Shirley!), I can not be the only one here who was born in Brooklyn ("God's Country").

As a kid, my cousins and I always looked forward to those summer days when we would get on the subway, which emerged from its underground passageway and rose to become the "el" (elevated train) above the streets.

We would get off at the Coney Island stop and head straight for Nathan's -- the One True Hot Dog vendor. Sauerkraut and mustard, the deli mustard with ground horseradish in it was first choice, but yellow mustard was a barely acceptable substitute. Chopped onion and relish were optional, the purists stuck to just sauerkraut and mustard.

Those hot dogs and Nathan's fries. I can still remember them, seventy years later. We would stuff ourselves, thus making sure that we had something substantial in our stomachs to throw up, if need be, when we rode the death-defying boardwalk rides.

The parachute jump was my mother's favorite. I never worked up enough courage to ride that with her, so I would stay on the ground and pray for her safety.

The bobsled was more my style. This was a roller coaster type ride, but instead of tracks, the bobsled cars rolled down sort of a chute:

Back to the hot dogs: Nathan's brand Coney Island style hot dogs are available in most supermarkets. If you haven't tried one, be prepared for your tongue to throw a party for your mouth (thank you, Mel Brooks) when you bite into that all beef juicy goodness. Nathan understood the art of blending the right spices, and the proper use of garlic in a hot dog.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31453 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

flashguy

When asked what he wanted on his hotdog, my brother in law used to say “ everything but someone’s else’s teeth”!

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1141 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I'll admit that before reading this thread, I assumed that Coney's originated in NYC. I'd like to try an original Coney Dog some day.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

quote:

I too love Lafayette Coney's, makes me drool just thinking about them!

Posts: 13718 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Fort Wayne has a couple of good Coney dog places.

I tend to like mine with the "looser" Coney sauce (not thick chili), onions, and mustard.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: striker1,

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
quote:
Originally posted by LtJL:

Ohio chili dogs Roll Eyes now I've heard it all...

Just stick to throwing your chili on spaghetti, because it belongs nowhere near a hot dog Big Grin

Your taste buds are Section 8.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16133 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
We would get off at the Coney Island stop and head straight for Nathan's -- the One True Hot Dog vendor. Sauerkraut and mustard, the deli mustard with ground horseradish in it was first choice, but yellow mustard was a barely acceptable substitute.

Yes, there was a guy from NYC that, when we started talking about Coney Island hot dogs one evening, protested that what we had been calling "Coney Island hot dogs" were, in reality, just "chili dogs," and that real Coney Island hot dogs were hot dogs, sauerkraut and mustard.

I like both versions Smile

It's kind of like the regional differences in BBQ.

Now I'm hungry.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Surely (and don't call me Shirley!), I can not be the only one here who was born in Brooklyn ("God's Country").

As a kid, my cousins and I always looked forward to those summer days when we would get on the subway, which emerged from its underground passageway and rose to become the "el" (elevated train) above the streets.

We would get off at the Coney Island stop and head straight for Nathan's -- the One True Hot Dog vendor. Sauerkraut and mustard, the deli mustard with ground horseradish in it was first choice, but yellow mustard was a barely acceptable substitute. Chopped onion and relish were optional, the purists stuck to just sauerkraut and mustard.

Those hot dogs and Nathan's fries. I can still remember them, seventy years later. We would stuff ourselves, thus making sure that we had something substantial in our stomachs to throw up, if need be, when we rode the death-defying boardwalk rides.

The parachute jump was my mother's favorite. I never worked up enough courage to ride that with her, so I would stay on the ground and pray for her safety.

[IMG]https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/8IoAAOSwfoNaWqog/s-l300.jpg[/IMG

The bobsled was more my style. This was a roller coaster type ride, but instead of tracks, the bobsled cars rolled down sort of a chute:

Back to the hot dogs: Nathan's brand Coney Island style hot dogs are available in most supermarkets. If you haven't tried one, be prepared for your tongue to throw a party for your mouth (thank you, Mel Brooks) when you bite into that all beef juicy goodness. Nathan understood the art of blending the right spices, and the proper use of garlic in a hot dog.

I am a big fan of Nathans Hot Dogs, and you can always find a few packages of Nathans wieners in my freezer.....yum!!

Posts: 6719 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post