SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Son possibly totaled his car - UPDATE PAGE 2
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Son possibly totaled his car - UPDATE PAGE 2 Login/Join 
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
This was my first thought!

quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
FYI - Dog is good too!

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Update - Just spoke to shop...initial estimate was very low but adjuster told shop to start tearing down so he could see underneath.

Looking at:
Front and rear cross members
complete LR suspension
gas tank
sub frame damage
floor pan damage
body damage on front bumper, fender and rocker
2 new alloy wheels and tires

And this is all assuming that the drive train is not screwed up (4wd).

Body shop said it is borderline but at this point I think son is better off if it just goes away.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
Update - Just spoke to shop...initial estimate was very low but adjuster told shop to start tearing down so he could see underneath.

Looking at:
complete LR suspension
gas tank
sub frame damage
floor pan damage
body damage on front bumper, fender and rocker
2 new alloy wheels and tires

And this is all assuming that the drive train is not screwed up (4wd).

Body shop said it is borderline but at this point I think son is better off if it just goes away.

Even if they rebuild it, it will never be the same again.

I was in an accident back in 2005, a Mazda3 that I'd had for 3 WEEKS.

They kept doing supplemental after supplemental at the body shop such that State Farm actually paid MORE to repair it than to just write me a check for another new one. State Farm would not listen to me when I suggested they total the car and cut their losses after about supplemental #3. There were like 6 of them.

The day I got it back, I drove it right to a dealer and traded it in.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sounds like you are on the way to that. After the next layer peels back I bet that's where you land. Sounds like you got a decent adjuster on the job.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:

Sounds like you are on the way to that. After the next layer peels back I bet that's where you land. Sounds like you got a decent adjuster on the job.

Adjuster does sound decent and I am hoping it swings that way.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
When I was stationed at Ft. Monmouth, N.J., I drove across I80, often at night, more times than I can count. Those of you familiar with it, as it winds through Pennsylvania, know parts of it are not something you want to go driving off of. It can be a loooong way down.

One evening, finding it impossible to keep my eyes open, no matter what I did, I pulled over into the very next rest stop, bundled-up some spare clothes in the space between seat and window, and crashed in a good way Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Late to the thread...

Glad to hear both your son and the dog are OK. He is very lucky. After duck hunting a very good friend was driving home and his son and uncle were driving separately behind them.

My friend Chris, looked in his rearview mirror, and saw his sons truck slowly leave the road, go in the embankment, and then crash.

He turned around and found his sons drivers side bent around a telephone pole Eek

He could not get to his now deceased 17 year old son.

Count your blessing.

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
complete LR suspension
gas tank
sub frame damage
floor pan damage

On a unit-body car, crossmembers are also known as subframes, sometimes cradles. But that's not the important part. The important part is that the attachment points for the x-members are on a reinforced section of the floor pan. Sometimes these attachment points can be bent, but the damage is not visible to the naked eye. Putting it all together, going to the alignment rack and finding the alignment can't be brought into specs is a lousy way of finding this out. As the guy who has to deal with the alignment part, I see this quite often.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went to shop on Saturday to gather son's belongings (note to self - talk to the boy about car cleanliness).

With it up in the air and wheels/parts removed it is easy to see what a mess it is. Not surprised that adjusted just called and told me its going to scrap yard.

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Glad they are not trying to fix it. Sub-frame damage is just about never 100% again outside a complete restoration.

I travel with a flat zipped pouch behind the seat, a gift from my first mortgage company two decades ago. It unzips into a huge nylon duffle. If I'm in an accident, emptying the cab's contents into the duffle is a definite priority. Getting three or four key tool bags out of the box is #2.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post