SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Son possibly totaled his car - UPDATE PAGE 2
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Son possibly totaled his car - UPDATE PAGE 2 Login/Join 
posted
Honestly, he is lucky to be alive and this could have gone way different for him.

After spending a day up north fishing he and his dog were driving home in the evening and he dozed off going partially off highway (I-17 southbound/Black Canyon area for anyone that knows AZ). He was jarred awake and able to correct, sort of but ended up on side of road where car had to be towed.

He initially told me he blew 2 tires and with his limited knowledge of cars thought that was it. When I went and looked at the car I saw that indeed he has 2 shredded tires and destroyed rims but the rear wheel was also pointing about 45 degrees out from the wheel well. After closer inspection it appears that his rear suspension is really damaged and the sub frame and floor are damaged as well. I am sure there will be additional damage to to drive train and at this point I am thinking that the car might be totaled.

I have no idea how he did not roll and or go off the cliff but am thankful he is alive. I told him yes, this sucks and you will have some money to spend but it beats the alternative.

He was smart enough to get gap insurance so it it is totaled he is covered.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kevmo,

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, very lucky to still have him. Things can be replaced.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I know that area - have been there a lot

yes, he is lucky - that can be a tough road with truck traffic as well

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FYI - Dog is good too!

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:

...He was smart enough to get gap insurance so it it is totaled he is covered.

What's gap insurance? I never heard of it, but it sounds like a good thing.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Glad your son and the dog is ok.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I'm just glad he's safe.

I have a similar story.

When our kids were young we used to often drive from St. Louis to Maryland through the night, after working a full day.
Until one time.... my wife fell asleep while driving. It was about 3 am in the middle of Hoosier National Forest in Indiana.

I woke up suddenly and it looked like we were driving through a corn field. It was tall grass in the middle area between the E and W lanes of Hwy. 64. We gradually came to a stop, sunk in soft mud and surrounded by tall grass.

The State Highway Patrolman who appeared on scene called a wrecker to pull us out with a long winch. The officer said we were lucky to be alive. A mile farther or behind and we wouldn't have been.
After that, we drove during the day!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:

It is supposed to cover the difference between what the car is worth and what you owe on the car.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
quote:

It is supposed to cover the difference between what the car is worth and what you owe on the car.

^ This - He owes about 1500.00 more than the car is valued at so if it is totaled he wont be left holding the bag

posted Hide Post
I'm glad that your son and his pup are OK. It's good he has GAP insurance.

Years ago I totaled my Jeep Grand Cherokee and I didn't have GAP insurance, I owed $2500.00 more than the vehicle was worth, only a few months away from paying it off and there I was no vehicle, and having to pay $2500.00 for something that I no longer had.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Wife and I were just talking about road trips last night. We're driving to Chicago this summer. I'm very experienced when it comes to road trips. She sleeps with full confidence that I can handle what's on the road. One of my buddies said to me one time when I stopped about 2 hours short of my destination to sleep: I thought you could've powered through just 2 more hours with your experience.

I said it's the opposite, with my experience, I know when to pull over to sleep. I trust my experience and instinct.

I've done some pretty good ones:

-Los Angeles to Chicago, left L.A. on Sunday at 0500 and arrived in Chicago at 2100 on Monday.

-on that same trip above: Lake Charles, LA to Lawton, OK back to Lake Charles, LA to Los Angeles to Chicago to Killeen, TX to Lawton, OK to Chicago and finally back to Lawton, OK. Logged about 12,000 miles during that period.

-multiple Orlando-Chicago trips in 18 hours.

-monthly trips for about a year from Lawton, OK to Chicago in 13 hours. Had that drive down to a science.

-El Paso to Chicago.

-El Paso to Orlando to Savannah to Chicago to El Paso.

Posts: 13111 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
quote:
What's gap insurance?

Thanks. I guess it won't help us since the car is paid off, but maybe next time I finance I'll make sure we have it.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
I said it's the opposite, with my experience, I know when to pull over to sleep.

Yep. I dozed off driving exactly once in my life when I was still in high school. Very brief but coming up quickly was a curve and if you went straight, you met a bridge abutment.
I will drive until my ass feels like concrete but start getting tired and I pull over and snooze or find a motel.

Glad your kid is OK Kevmo!

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Get the cheapo lemon sours from the quick store. The ones in the 2/$1.00 aisle.

They are terrible, with no redeeming quality, and shouldn't even rightly be called candy - but it is damn near impossible to fall asleep with one in your mouth.

Wink

Seriously, glad he and the dog are okay, and that nobody was hurt. That's what matters.

Take a nap on an off-ramp or something. The time lost is way cheaper than the alternative.

Posts: 10751 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
Get the cheapo lemon sours from the quick store. The ones in the 2/$1.00 aisle.

They are terrible, with no redeeming quality, and shouldn't even rightly be called candy - but it is damn near impossible to fall asleep with one in your mouth.
That and sunflower seeds. Big Grin

We've all BTDT, I recall driving back to college late at night - it was about a 55 min drive from the GF's college to mine. I blinked a really long blink and opened my eyes heading toward couple of those barrels before the concrete at an exit off the highway north of DC - fortunately I recovered and rolled the windows down (in Nov) for the rest of the drive.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
Take a nap on an off-ramp or something. The time lost is way cheaper than the alternative.

This right here.

Posts: 13111 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Glad your son is safe and so is his dog. As others have said the car can be replaced.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
Yes, very lucky to still have him. Things can be replaced.

this x100

driving is pretty much the most dangerous thing we do and we tend to forget that

---------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
Yep, have travelled that road a few hundred times going up and back to our place in Flagstaff. Coming down that hill from Sunset Point into Black Canyon City can be VERY treacherous. He's fortunate to have only damaged his car, the good Lord was looking out for him!

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1311 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tooky13:
Yep, have travelled that road a few hundred times going up and back to our place in Flagstaff. Coming down that hill from Sunset Point into Black Canyon City can be VERY treacherous. He's fortunate to have only damaged his car, the good Lord was looking out for him!

Someone had his back, that is for damn sure....my wife is still shaken up at the thought of what could have been.

Still waiting to hear on car - 2016 Outlander Sport. Looks like at least 2 tires and rims, frame/floor issue, rear trailing arm and suspension on LR and who know what it affected in the drive train.