SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Windows 10 networking questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Windows 10 networking questions Login/Join 
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted
I’ve recently been forced to move up from 1909. Lagging or locking up problems started happening immediately. We think we’ve pinpointed the problem to mapped drives using SMB1.0. Unfortunately I don’t know of a way to upgrade these shares since they are drives on CNC equipment. Two are Win95 based and the others are not windows based. With hesitancy I enabled smb1 on the updated computers and it seems to work for a while but is not stable. One day everything’s fine and the next it’s not.

Placing an off network communication computer for the machines is an idea. I think I’d have to bring files to it by thumb drive though. I’d like to not have to do that. Does anybody know of a way to do this without enabling smb1.0 on the win10 machine? I know it’s a long shot and probably need more details but getting desperate and looking for ideas.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
Does it need to be Windows?
Linux will support SMB1
and I suspect will not be as aggressive as Windows 10 in disabling every time there is an update.

What about creating segregated network with a firewall, running Windows XP and only allow remote desktop or VNC to access the machine?

Posts: 859 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
A centralized computer just used to communicate with the machines would not need to be windows. It's just gcode text files being transferred to each's shared hard drive. The main computers have to be Windows because of the design and programming softwares on them. If I could share to a Linux machine through Windows 10 without enabling SMB1.0 , and that Linux machine them talk to the CNC machines using SMB1.0 it would work. I'm not sure how muddy, or insecure that could get.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Have you considered a NAS device?

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
I have NASs on the network but since I need to push the data to the cnc machines I don't see how to do that easily. If the cnc machines could pull the data that would work fine. The workflow logging in and out of a NAS 20 times a day with multiple people may would get hairy.

I'm going to try a registry patch I found tonight to one of the Win10 machines to see if it stabilizes. Even if it works there's still a vulnerability I've got to work through though.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
What about creating a batch file to pull the data to the CNC machines from the source by whatever protocol that works including FTP or whatever?

Also a possibility is to replicate the data with a backup program on the NAS with your CNC machines as the target.

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
I think those are potential solutions. I’m just not sure I want SMB1 anywhere near my NASs at this point. Was also thinking of a centralized computer having two network cards and trying to pass the data programmatically. There seems to be a lot of evils here and just trying to figure out the lesser. Thanks for all the ideas.