SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thinking about maybe heading to Boston on my vacation in July
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking about maybe heading to Boston on my vacation in July Login/Join 
posted
So, checking flight fares, it don't look too expensive. The thing is, I would be travelling on my own and that can get pretty boring. I'm mostly interested in seeing the city, exploring the sites but also getting to meet new people and hopefully hit a range where i could rent a gun or two (don't want to suffer from gun abstinence while I'm away). Any members here living in the Boston area who wouldn't mind showing a fellow sigforum member travelling on his own around? PM me if that's the case, it could help me making my decision on going or not! This would be in July, anywhere between the fifth and twenty-third.

/Johan

Posts: 414 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden. | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Guns? In Boston?

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
There is only one public range I know of in MA, and it's not close to Boston. Most people go to the Manchester Firing Line in NH, but there is one range in Salisbury. Everywhere else to shoot is a private club, so far as I know.

So, not at all close to Boston. If you're coming to visit the city, you'll find it very walkable. But if you want to rent a gun, you're not doing it in "Metro Boston." Perhaps a member could meet you and take you shooting, otherwise it's a hike to rent a firearm.

There is a chance I could take you shooting, but not a very large one, I just started a new job.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
There is a rather nice July 4th concert at the Hatch memorial shell put on by the Boston pops. I did it one year. It was fun. Spend a day at the Charles Navy yard and visit the USS Constitution.
Hit the restaurant at the top of the prudential bldg for sunset dinner. Take a morning stroll across a Boston commons.

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Sign up for a shooting class at the SIG Academy. Buy some accessories at the Pro Shop.

Enjoy Boston. Lots to do.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Can't help you with shooting ranges in Boston. However, it's worth pointing out that Sig Sauer's USA headquarters and training center (real name is Sig Sauer Academy) is only 2ish hours away in New Hampshire.

Last summer, I spent a few days in Boston after attending a wedding in New Hampshire. I stayed at the W in downtown Boston, and it's one of the nicest hotels I've stayed plus I got an excellent deal on the price. I travel a lot for business so for me to call something "one of the nicest" is saying something. Its location is also great for seeing the historic sites. Additionally, it's on the edge of Chinatown and I had some delicious dumplings at Gourment Dumpling House.

Speaking of food, whenever I travel to a large city in the US I check out this foodie website called eaters. Specifically, I check out their Essential 38 list as it's updated 3 or 4 times per year, represents the best of many different genres of food, and contains many different price points. For example, at the time the dumpling place in Chinatown was on the list.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
There is only one public range I know of in MA, and it's not close to Boston. Most people go to the Manchester Firing Line in NH, but there is one range in Salisbury. Everywhere else to shoot is a private club, so far as I know.

So, not at all close to Boston. If you're coming to visit the city, you'll find it very walkable. But if you want to rent a gun, you're not doing it in "Metro Boston." Perhaps a member could meet you and take you shooting, otherwise it's a hike to rent a firearm.

There is a chance I could take you shooting, but not a very large one, I just started a new job.

There's one in Holliston. Not sure if it requires an LTC or not though to shoot there.

Posts: 6345 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
Johan,
Emails in my profile. I’m a member of a club out side of Boston.
Hit me up on dates your in town.
I own my own company and “sneak out” occasionally when the day is clear or undercontrol by my staff. Or I bring em along for some team building like last week.

We shoot pistols or high power typically.
The range is Woburn sportsman’s club. 50/100/200 yard high power or indoor or outdoor pistols.

Seriously hit me up. I’d consider it a pay it forward for when I visited Timdogg in ,boca raton FL, a while back.

(Maybe Arc can sneak out too with that .308 he has..)

Posts: 2330 | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Nail down a date and I'll see if I can make it happen. .308 you say? Which one?

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
Copy that.
I recall a certain bull pup...!

Posts: 2330 | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This place recently opened but are expensive if your don't have a LTC

https://www.bostonfirearms.com

There are a few other ranges in MA but none real close to Boston.

http://www.americanfirearmsschool.com

http://originalbobsshootingrange.com

http://www.massfirearmsschool....shoot-as-non-member/

I work downtown Boston and can grab lunch or a drink after work if you come on a week day and are staying in Boston proper.

I went to NH last week to rent a sig365 to try out here.Not too bad a drive from Boston.

https://www.gunsnh.com

Can't get them in MA

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing an LTC means "License to carry"?

Thank you for all your replies and kind suggestions , I'll get back to you if I decide to take this trip!

and @bigmule, I'll definitely shoot you an email if I decide to ge, a very nice offer indeed!

Posts: 414 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden. | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Bringing this back up. The Smokin' Hot Wife and I are heading to Boston mid August for a couple of days, we are picking up our French Bulldog puppy

We are flying in and will stay at a hotel in town, near the site seeing areas. We will rely on uber, walking and public transportation to get around. The breeder will bring the puppy to us so that's not a problem. I know I can't carry there, legally.

Has this area gone down hill like most big cities down towns? Places/ areas we should avoid?

We usually ride MARTA (Atlanta's train system) to the airport but I will not ride it now unarmed, it has gotten dangerous

"Speaking of food, whenever I travel to a large city in the US I check out this foodie website called eaters. Specifically, I check out their Essential 38 list as it's updated 3 or 4 times per year, represents the best of many different genres of food, and contains many different price points. For example, at the time the dumpling place in Chinatown was on the list."

We used this link to pick out a few places we are going to eat at

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Boston is still a relatively safe city. Places to avoid? Mattapan, Dorchester, Roxbury.

If you stay in the city itself, you will be fine. Backbay, North End, Financial District - all great places to walk around and enjoy local attractions and restaurants.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Great info, thanks. Looks like those areas are close to all we want to see in our short time there

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Boston is still a relatively safe city. Places to avoid? Mattapan, Dorchester, Roxbury.

Which the hilarious thing is when you get to the terminal all of the posters for the places to visit are these neighborhoods. Obviously they're trying to bring them back up but don't fall for it.

Boston's MBTA is very safe, for a subway system. Just avoid the Orange Line beyond Back Bay, or the Ashmont line of the Red Line.

For restaurant recommendations check out the Phantom Gourmet's website.

Posts: 6345 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the top 3 meals I've ever had in my life was at Carmalina's on Hanover street in the North End. Everything I've had there is exceptional but the Chilean Sea Bass was beyond outstanding. If you decide to go there call ahead and make reservations. They're a small restaurant and are always packed.

Afterwards hit one of the many pastry shops. I'm partial to Bova's on Salem Street but Mike's and Modern are famous as well (and priced like it).

If you like pizza, Pizzeria Regina in the North End is my top choice followed closely by Ernesto's. If you like toppings on your pizza I recommend Ernesto's. If you like a basic cheese or pepperoni pizza I would go Regina's. Be sure to get the marinated oil to dip the pizza in.

I used to know a lot of good Chinese restaurants in Boston but many have moved because the real estate is crazy and many weren't able to renew their lease. Hai La Moon is pretty good for both Dim Sum and Chinese. Gourmet Dumpling House was very good but I recall hearing that they got shut down by the state for back taxes or money laundering, I forget which. I haven't been there in years so who knows.

If you're in Back Bay I liked to hit Sonsie. They made a great Cubano during lunch and have really good cocktails and after dinner drinks.

Posts: 797 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post