SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need to upgrade my phone - Could use some advice.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need to upgrade my phone - Could use some advice. Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted
I was, in the deep, dark past, an Apple customer, now I am a Samsung customer with a J7. The J7 is a piece of junk; not enough memory, slow chip, etc.

FWIW, I'm with ATT as a service provider. I'm considering the Samsung Galaxy S10e, 128gb, which is currently available for $10.00/month for 30 months which is half it's previous price of $20/mo.

Oddly, it's cheaper than the S9 and has more memory.

I don't really want to go back to iphone as I am in the Windows universe for my business computing, and iPhone won't do text through Windows. Other options are Samsung Galaxy A51, or iPhone SE. The S10e also has 5G capability.

I'm trying to keep the acquisition cost to $500 or $16 ish for 30 months. I use my phone for business, not for game play or streaming, so I don't need the newest, bestest, fastest, coolest camera, etc. I need a solid, reliable phone with decent memory and chip speed.

Thoughts?

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12780 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I think it will come down to what you can get the best deal on. ATT should be offering some deals right now. Myself, I'm not buying shit until it has a 5G modem for the future so I don't have to buy another phone for a long long time.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12639 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I have a OnePlus 6, I like it, they just released the 8, so the 7 is on sale.

https://www.oneplus.com/7t

They take excellent pictures, the 7 is more than most will ever need. 128gb storage. Snapdragon 855, latest phones this year use one step up 865 processor.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
ArtieS,

My kid dropped his S9 and broke the screen. After researching, I found out repairing the S9 is almost cost prohibitive @ around $275 vs getting an almost new condition one on eBay for $300.

Ultimately I went onto Samsung's website and searched around and found the A20 and A50. I settled on the A50 for $250 brand new. It's a little bigger than my S20 and looks really nice. At first my kid was bummed about his S9 but once he got the A50 he's actually become very happy he dropped the S9 (his father, not so much Frown)

I don't think you can go wrong with the A20 or A50 for what you're looking for and the prices are very reasonable.

https://www.samsung.com/us/mob...series_name=Galaxy+A

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I don't think the S10e supports 5G. Other than that, it's probably the best deal of the phones that you listed if $300 is the actual price you end up paying.

Posts: 3384 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Too bad Apple's out for you. The new iPhone SE (2020) is a great little phone for the price, IMO.

If you can wait a while, you might want to hold off. See member bigdeal's post in the "Apple Unveils sub-$400 iPhone" thread

I'm sure Samsung will eventually join the fray, if Samsung is your thing in mobile devices.

Be cautious buying older phones. The carriers have been getting new band allocations fairly regularly over the last few years. You want whatever you buy to support all of your carrier's bands.

quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
I don't think the S10e supports 5G.

I'd worry about 5G only after 5G actually becomes meaningful.

Since he wants to go Android, and the average lifespan of an Android phone is ±2 years (exceptions noted and conceded), I don't think 5G will be an issue for him.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Too bad Apple's out for you. The new iPhone SE (2020) is a great little phone for the price, IMO.

That's exactly what I was thinking, can't beat the price even if you upgrade to more memory.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3642 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I'm a bit behind having the latest too, I am loving my S8+. I bought it new back in October for about $450??

Posts: 5323 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Those of you who are suggesting the new iPhone SE are completely missing the point of the original post.

Artie states that the reason he does NOT want an iPhone product, is that he wants to be able to use his Windows 10 computer for messaging via the phone.

If he were using a Mac, that would work. However, he states that there is no Windows 10 app for messaging with an Apple phone.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Those of you who are suggesting the new iPhone SE are completely missing the point of the original post.

Nobody suggested an iPhone. I simply said "too bad Apple's out for you" and David W agreed.

(Btw: Despite the fact he said it's not optimal for him, he listed the iPhone SE as an option in his OP.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

They take excellent pictures, the 7 is more than most will ever need. 128gb storage. Snapdragon 855, latest phones this year use one step up 865 processor.
But what you didn't not, the 7T has a 90Hz screen refresh rate which is a huge step up if you haven't played with one yet. I too carry a OnePlus phone (just an older one), and its been an absolutely terrific phone.

I would have recommended the new Google Pixel 4a ($349 for 128gb storage, OLED screen, virgin Android, and a terrific camera) but it appears that phone is being delayed for a month or so due to everything currently going on in the world.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Nobody suggested an iPhone. I simply said "too bad Apple's out for you" and David W agreed.

(Btw: Despite the fact he said it's not optimal for him, he listed the iPhone SE as an option in his OP.)
Yeah, you're correct. I was mingling what I was reading in this thread, along with a back-channel conversation I'm having with Artie, and I was not keeping the two dialog lines separate. So, quit trying to confuse me! Wink

What he's looking for, is a moderate priced phone for business use, that can do texting via a Windows 10 app, much like you can do with an Mac and iPhone combination.

He is not adverse to an iPhone SE, except that to date, we have not been able to identify a Windows 10 app that can be used for texting with an Apple phone.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
He is not adverse to an iPhone SE, except that to date, we have not been able to identify a Windows 10 app that can be used for texting with an Apple phone.
If an iPhone can run the Google Messages text messaging app (I assume it can?), you can use "Messages for the Web" which allows you to text from a Chrome browser window. I use it all day every day and it works well, but that's on my OnePlus Android phone and Windows 10 laptop/desktop machine.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

If an iPhone can run the Google Messages text messaging app (I assume it can?), you can use "Messages for the Web" which allows you to text from a Chrome browser window. I use it all day every day and it works well, but that's on my OnePlus Android phone and Windows 10 laptop/desktop machine.
Looks like this is a dead end.

I followed your link, and got to this point: "Messages is supported on devices running Android™ 5.0 Lollipop and above," so it looks like an Apple phone is a no-go.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
I don't think the S10e supports 5G.

I'd worry about 5G only after 5G actually becomes meaningful.

Since he wants to go Android, and the average lifespan of an Android phone is ±2 years (exceptions noted and conceded), I don't think 5G will be an issue for him.

Did you read the original post? I only mentioned 5G because Artie did.

Posts: 3384 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Google Pixel 4xl and am semi pleased with it. The facial recognition is fast and accurate, well except for the damn masks we have to wear. However, the motion/ gesture thing sucks at times. I came from a Galaxy 5 and the change over was easy for file transfers and contacts and what not. Check into them and see what you think. I do not know how much AT&T is charging at the moment.

Oh. When I go to Philly, the 5G symbol pops up on the screen too.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Skins, what is a One+7? I went to the link you provided and kind of don't get it. Is it an unlocked phone where I plug in my SIM card and go to town? It's not available through ATT as part of my upgrade package, but that's not a deal killer as the price is the same either way.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12780 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help so far. I am not adverse to iPhone, but I would like to be able to do certain functions through my laptop, and so far, I can't find any supported apps that allow that, including the Google suite apps.

I'd consider the Pixel 4, but ATT seems to want about $1k for it, so it's kind of out of the picture. However, Att's website is so awful that it's kind of hard to tell what the upgrade deals are or are not.

I may go into the local ATT store and see what they can tell me. I'm determined this time not to get a phone on short notice (my last upgrade happened when my phone failed outright, and I needed immediate communication) and actually shop for both price and features to get what I need for my business.

All the feedback above is truly appreciated.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

But what you didn't not, the 7T has a 90Hz screen refresh rate which is a huge step up if you haven't played with one yet. I too carry a OnePlus phone (just an older one), and its been an absolutely terrific phone.

I would have recommended the new Google Pixel 4a ($349 for 128gb storage, OLED screen, virgin Android, and a terrific camera) but it appears that phone is being delayed for a month or so due to everything currently going on in the world.

I'm torn between getting a 7t at $500 or going all out and getting the 8 Pro at $1,000. Huge price difference. I usually buy every two years and skip generations, but I'm thinking it might be worth getting good deal on 7t, and getting 8 when 9 is released. Having latest edition vs cost, it's tough call. Also I heard the through screen finger print reader is slightly slower than the rear facing 7t, hoping it's better on the 8.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Other pluses for the Galaxy S10e are the Snapdragon 855 processor, microSD card slot for storage expansion and 3.5mm headphone jack. The S10e is only a year old so you would probably still get updates for the AndroidOS for another year and security updates for 2 years.

Since you made me look, I've found that I can trade in my Galaxy S9 this weekend at T-Mobile and get up to a $500 credit towards a new Galaxy S20 family device with 5G. Then I find out that 5G will be launching soon here in Tampa and Orlando, so I would actually be able to use it. I don't need it but I will never be able to get $500 for my phone ever again after this. Probably going to do it.